Are you guys sick of tipping?

MattB

WKR
Ummm.... I think it would actually change for the better and service levels would rise. Instead of essentially begging for extra money by providing good service, imagine if your server was making 70k a year.....

If service sucks, they lose their job, and someone else comes on for 70k a year. Also comes with the perk of not having to be nice to dipshits that are sat in your section, simply to pay rent this month.
So instead of quibbling over whether a business charges $10 for a meal and then patrons tip ~20% on top of that or essentially building in the tip and charges $12, you think they should charge $18 or $20 dollars (whatever is needed to make it a $70K/year job considering US mean income for wait staff was $23,740 in 2020)?

Are you not seeing any potential problem with that strategy in an environment where competition and substitutes exist?

JjamesIII

WKR
That's a fair point, and yes, really motivated people will still over perform, I'd imagine. To what degree would be the question.

I'm self employed, so my performance is pretty directly tied to my earnings.:)

The last few years I worked for another contractor he put together a hourly+profit share plan. We made an hourly rate, and if we worked efficiently there was a percentage bonus off every project's profit. I loved it, and honestly it probably did at times affect my performance, even though we worked hard before he started that. It's not apples to apples with tipping maybe, bit similar. Maybe that's why I kind of like the tipping option.

The customer is going to pay either way.
I have worked with contractors that do profit sharing. Those guys definitely had a vested interest in performing. More companies should adopt that practice. We get annual bonuses. But they are loosely based on company earnings. Unfortunately, I see even the worst employees expecting a similar bonus to the hardest workers.

def90

WKR
Ummm.... I think it would actually change for the better and service levels would rise. Instead of essentially begging for extra money by providing good service, imagine if your server was making 70k a year.....

If service sucks, they lose their job, and someone else comes on for 70k a year. Also comes with the perk of not having to be nice to dipshits that are sat in your section, simply to pay rent this month.

It's difficult to fire people these days..

woods89

WKR
I have worked with contractors that do profit sharing. Those guys definitely had a vested interest in performing. More companies should adopt that practice. We get annual bonuses. But they are loosely based on company earnings. Unfortunately, I see even the worst employees expecting a similar bonus to the hardest workers.
Yeah, and it also makes a crew work together. If one guy is dragging he's affecting everyone's profit share. So he may hear about it!

It's a good system. The business has to be running profitably for it to work, as if there aren't some pretty good wins from time to time it loses its luster.

Getting a bit off topic here........:)

woods89

WKR

Do service levels rise when minimum wage increases force fast food places to pay more?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but it seems like best performance comes when success is possible, but not guaranteed. But in all fairness, I've never worked in the food service industry, so there's a lot I don't know.

sasquatch

WKR

X2, same where I work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

z987k

WKR
We do profit sharing at my work. It is based on net profit. But they don't distribute it equally. It's based on the number of hours your worked in that year. So the guys that busted ass and picked up OT to cover things get a much bigger bonus than the guys who didn't. And guys who drag ass don't get OT, so...

For me that equates to about 1.5 months pay most years, extra. Which is a rather motivating amount.

ColoradoV

WKR
I live in a small town in central Colorado. Price of living is so extreme it prices out most folks on a non tipping budget (or the folks that can’t afford it).. Meals are pry 2x what most of you pay but 2x as good 😊.. Since I am the 3 rd generation to build this community - I tip well. Flat out all locals tip well = is what it is. Budget tourist and angry at the world laborers not so much. Is what it is… Fair to say works out in the end for us locals 👍.

Something to think about is if you can do back of of house, bartend, and front of house you can literally get a job basically anywhere in the world easily. Then work for a week or a month whenever you need it. Travel is cool working travel is another level experience! Easy to quit whenever then travel to the next spot repeat for a month somewhere near a beach, quit travel to the mountains and repeat..

Every year kids 22+ years show up to get a job at the resort and ski or ride every day.. They end up riding very little. Now the kid that gets a job at night bartending or washing dishes can ride every single day due to tips.
Not a bad way for younger folks to fund a working travel.

amassi

WKR
This.....

I wonder what food service would be like if wait staff just got a flat wage. I'd guess service levels would drop. I think a good waiter or waitress who is pleasant, attentive, and takes care of his or her tables should go home with a nice chunk of money. It can't be easy.
I've been to a couple countries where tipping service employees if frowned upon or flatly rejected. The service was always excellent as its viewed as a professional industry. Coincidentally they also make a liveable wage from their employer since they don't have to pay for things like health insurance et el since those are universal.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

RS3579

WKR
If you don’t like the tipping for service, are you unhappy with the bonus some of Yinz get at the end of the year. You didn’t have a great day everyday but you still got that bonus. Next time tell your employer you’d like less because you didn’t perform 100% all the time. Think about others sometimes!

This may be a little off topic but I just want to warn you guys so you don't make the mistakes that I have:

When at a strip club, DO NOT tip the dancers with quarters! The bouncer will grab you by your jacket and throw your ass out like moldy bread. 4 quarters may equal a dollar but when placed on the stage, it equals a bruised shoulder too.

z987k

WKR
If you don’t like the tipping for service, are you unhappy with the bonus some of Yinz get at the end of the year. You didn’t have a great day everyday but you still got that bonus. Next time tell your employer you’d like less because you didn’t perform 100% all the time. Think about others sometimes!
I think most people that don't like tipping in the US are people that would like to see prices raised and a fair wage payed. It works far better and we know that because almost the rest of the planet does it this way. Some even see it insulting to offer a tip. As if a bribe was needed to get good service, which is what tipping originally was.

Personally I don't tip unless I'm getting service. So when I order take out and go pick it up I'm not tipping on that. If I go sit down in that restaurant and my food is brought to me then yes, tip.

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
Was in Australia many moons ago, no tipping there. Most of the service while dining was average or poor. I did feel like most people where going through the motions.

Not saying that US system is better but seems at higher ends restaurants or pubs the services is better.

Definitly check out the "Flightless Bird" podcast. There is a fairly recent episode on tipping titled "tipping" that was really well done and an eye opener!

FLATHEAD

WKR
I dont mind tipping,,,for good service.
What I dont like are the places where I walk up, order and pay BEFORE
I even receive my food and the credit card thingy is asking how much tip?