Are you overbowed? Let's have a discussion

OP
W
I think what people are getting at and I've personally seen it at rmsgear, people drop weight but actually get to full draw with a good release and low and behold the same exact arrow is going faster

Definitely.

I think it's time for a 15# bow for bear, deer, elk and moose thread. :D

That would certainly ruffle some feathers!

Yup, exactly. What's funny is you can hand a 65# bow to a guy and they will short-draw it to 28# and be shooting 65# at 28". OR, you can hand them a 50# bow and they will get fully into line and then be shooting a 60# bow at 31". There's a lot of energy under the draw force curve for those three inches at 50-60# and that will be a faster bow than the 65# at 28.

Yep.

I've had mates grab my longbow who normally draw 28in and they don't get to their anchor at all. I can tell by the length of the arrows that they are only drawing about 24in. It's not a strength/ego thing at that point as it's all about technique and alignment. They hate shooting the bow then as the tune is completely out.

I'm just starting out and have 25 and 35 lb limbs which are around 30 and 40 otf at my dl. I wouldn't want to start heavier than the 35's until I knew what a proper shot feels like. Thus the reason for the 25's. I'm thinking 50 or so otf is going to be plenty when set up correctly.

What I have found while scouring for info is that the ilf system can be be very efficient, even at lower weights. The new "super curves," carbon layers, etc, appear to be worth 5 or so pounds of draw weight. Like compounds, new tech, new materials, equal improved efficiency.

This is why I bring up the poundage of the bows AT MY DRAW in the video.
The first Black Widow is 65# @ 28 (roughly 62# at my draw).
The Bodnik is 45# @ 28 (roughly 42# at my draw).
Second set of Widow limbs is 54# @ 28 (roughly 51# at my draw).

The details matter when we are talking about this stuff. Don't confuse that with POUNDAGE matters. I'm not mentioning it for ego, but having an idea of the poundage of your bows at your bow plays a big role in decisions you make during the arrow tuning process.

There's some cons with those super curves too, better than they used to be though, still have a set of Dryad ACS for my wife if the arthritis will cooperate enough for her to get back out hunting! I think they are great equalizers though for folks that need a little more oomph than they can generate on their own with more conventional designs!

I've never shot a super curve of any style but there is a bloke here in Australia called Colin Gair (has a company called Outlaw Bows) and he has a model called a Peregrine which appears to be very fast. I'm interested.

I think it’s simple;

How much bow can you easily hold, aim and execute a perfect shot?

Weight is over rated. I just put 2 arrows completely through an 800# moose with a 47# recurve… blew through that critter like butter.

I shot a couple hogs with my light target bow this spring; 40#, 375g arrow.

Lets not forget, Bowhunting is all about accuracy….weight lifting is a different sport altogether.

Simple; A bow you can shoot accurately, an arrow with perfect flight and a very efficient BH- it works.

I don't disagree with anything you're saying here mate. As has been mentioned; the video isn't about why high poundage bows are needed for any reason. My main motivation for making it was that I had a bunch of random people on facebook telling me I was overbowed purely because I mentioned I own a bow over the 60# mark. Bringing up weightlifting isn't specifically to do with archery - it's just to make the point that there are many different ways people live their lives they can all be woven together a lot of the time. Anyone who wants to tell me that my weightlifting doesn't help me with my archery is kidding themselves. We got locked down here in Australia recently and my archery form has gone out the window because I haven't been able to get to the gym. I've shot as much as I can to maintain my form but as a result of many annoying things with lockdown my strength and physical condition overall has dropped.

It's the same as rifles. Shooting a small deer with a .375H+H in the guts isn't going to kill it as effectively as hitting it in the lungs with a .243. Having said that, if someone can shoot a .375H+H accurately and confidently it's going to kill the deer just as dead as the .243.

I can make many more parallels here but might do that in another video. I don't have enough animals under my belt with trad bows to be any sort of authority in the debate about heavy arrows but I've done plenty of it with rifles and there are many circumstances where a bigger rifle is always better, but that's more to do with culling situations over here than it is about hunting in a fair chase sense that people in the USA would identify with.

My random thoughts on this. Every legit archery coach (I’m certainly not one but have done enough wrong to know right) I know will tell you to start with a comfortable draw weight to learn proper form. I think for most that’s gonna be under 50lbs and probably around 40 lbs or less.

Building good form with a bow that you can comfortably draw from the beginning is going to do great things for your shooting longevity. As you progress you can step up gradually in bow weight as needed probably in +5 lbs increments.

Nobody said that you should only own one bow, or one set of limbs if you have a takedown.

100% mate.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
I don't believe I've got tissue paper for skin. I just asked you a question and you haven't responded yet. This is a message board after all. Do you want to participate in the discussion that's taking place or do you want to pop in, take a dump, and then go away feeling like you've won some sort of internet victory?

What is there to discuss. You looking for kudos for making a video that adds nothing to the sport? I don't care if someone is over bowed, if they snap shoot, if the shoot untuned arrows.

This same discussion is had again and again. Who cares. I know what I can do and that's what matters to me. I have no problem drawing a 60lb bow to 29.75 inches and anchoring, shot after shot. Once I'm in alignment I can sit there as long as I please.

Rob5589

WKR
What is there to discuss. You looking for kudos for making a video that adds nothing to the sport? I don't care if someone is over bowed, if they snap shoot, if the shoot untuned arrows.

This same discussion is had again and again. Who cares. I know what I can do and that's what matters to me. I have no problem drawing a 60lb bow to 29.75 inches and anchoring, shot after shot. Once I'm in alignment I can sit there as long as I please.
How long did it take for you to get there and how did you do it? Just shooting, any particular exercise movement? I'm no where near there yet but, want to be.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
2 years. Proper form is key. Get a coach and practice with a lighter bow than your max. Don't be afraid to pull a heavier bow but if you cant hit anchor and hold it your only hurting yourself.

OP
W

I'm not after kudos and I'm not trying to stroke my ego. I'm just trying to promote discussion in the trad community.

Clearly you enjoy being provocative so I won't feed you too much.

You came into the thread and made a comment that indicated you didn't watch the video at all. This is a discussion board after all. If you don't want to take part in the discussion you don't have to.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not after kudos and I'm not trying to stroke my ego. I'm just trying to promote discussion in the trad community.

Clearly you enjoy being provocative so I won't feed you too much.

You came into the thread and made a comment that indicated you didn't watch the video at all. This is a discussion board after all. If you don't want to take part in the discussion you don't have to.
The only reason I even posted in this thread was because I had to read an old man ripping on an entire generation and complain about how much better things were back in their day. That crap is infuriating and unnecessary.

OP
W
The only reason I even posted in this thread was because I had to read an old man ripping on an entire generation and complain about how much better things were back in their day. That crap is infuriating and unnecessary.
Of course it is, which is one of the reasons I made the video. Again, just trying to promote some positive discussion around the topic.

You're an interesting character. "The only reason I even..." implies you were compelled to do so but you didn't take into consideration actually posting something thoughtful or useful. So what are you doing now? Falling back on some kind of negative lived experience of your own to justify being negative in this thread?

Good luck with that, bloke.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
Of course it is, which is one of the reasons I made the video. Again, just trying to promote some positive discussion around the topic.

You're an interesting character. "The only reason I even..." implies you were compelled to do so but you didn't take into consideration actually posting something thoughtful or useful. So what are you doing now? Falling back on some kind of negative lived experience of your own to justify being negative in this thread?

Good luck with that, bloke.
You sound like the type of guy who's read the secret and thinks he can self actualize himself through life. Lmao.

For a guy who claims to have no ego you sure are trying hard to convince others that's the case. Why do you talk about yourself so much? Compensating for something.

Isn't fun to play armchair psychiatrist.

OP
W
Not really. I just wanted to have an interesting talk about archery. That's the point of this part of the forum. If you'd rather just come into a thread, throw around irrelevant comments and then not really have a decent answer as to why you did it, it says more about you than me.

Anyway, thanks for going out of your way to make valuable contributions to the discussion. I hope it was great fun for you.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
Not really. I just wanted to have an interesting talk about archery. That's the point of this part of the forum. If you'd rather just come into a thread, throw around irrelevant comments and then not really have a decent answer as to why you did it, it says more about you than me.

Anyway, thanks for going out of your way to make valuable contributions to the discussion. I hope it was great fun for you.

Thanks for shit bombing your own thread by not being able to let things go. I did have a relevant answer, I'm sorry if it was beyond your comprehension. I'll try to just use monosyllabic words when adressing you from now on.

Sapcut

WKR
I think you all should go get about at 80# recurve and exercise some stress away. In about a week, you will be amazed at how well you will be able to shoot the 70#er you thought would destroy your shoulder.

Sapcut

WKR
Rebar that blows up everything it hits. Thankfully that happens to be my goal when gathering groceries.