Are you ready if SHTF?.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broomd

WKR
Not wanting to start a political thread, so let's get that out of the way.

Just curious how many of my Rokslide brethren are ready for cataclysmic times.
With all that is going on in the world, virus (strains,) lockdowns, gun and ammo shortages, Summer-long riots, etc, one would think that most around here would be ready for what's possible, but I could be wrong about that.

Location can have a lot to do with this topic, and how prepared a person can be.
I finally bought an AR, just because I can foresee them being banned or heavily taxed. I'll be getting the wife one as well asap.

Overall though, are you ready? Thoughts?

robtattoo

WKR
Nooope.
Nobody is.
I listened to an incredibly enlightening interview earlier this year. It's basically a discussion on how you really can't prepare for the SHTF really, because every different scenario requires different supplies, preparedness, plans etc. Every Prepper out there has a mental scenario that they're prepping for (TEOTWAWKI, zombies, nuclear holocaust, etc....) but realistically, a national 3 month power outage is going to create a situation that 99.999% of us couldn't realistically deal with.

It's nice & comforting to have a few thousand rounds of your preferred ammo, a few cases of water, 100 cans of beans & 50lb of rice laid aside but in all actuality, pretty much no one is ready for any eventually & if you're not ready for EVERY POSSIBLE Ess Aitching the Eff situation, really..... why bother?

Check out Joel Skousen’s book... worth the read unless you feel rosy about the future of the US.

Michael54

WKR
I'm not ready but i have a damn good amount of resources to make a hell of a go at it if it happens. All of the current stuff going on hasn't affected my family one bit in terms of hardships. Inconveniences yes but hardships no.

Glory

Lil-Rokslider
Probably. I would probably ended up anchored on kuiu in some obscure bay with the family in my commercial boat. Probably drag a charter boat and have the wife drive one as well. Be a cool adventure as the world sorts itself out. Probably be sick of eating fish and crabs as well too.

All the doomsday talk is as old as time. Will you be ready for it? Nope. People that have been dreaming for it and preparing will die. People that dont know what the crap is happening will live. It will have more to do with luck than anything else.

Nooope.
Nobody is.
I listened to an incredibly enlightening interview earlier this year. It's basically a discussion on how you really can't prepare for the SHTF really, because every different scenario requires different supplies, preparedness, plans etc. Every Prepper out there has a mental scenario that they're prepping for (TEOTWAWKI, zombies, nuclear holocaust, etc....) but realistically, a national 3 month power outage is going to create a situation that 99.999% of us couldn't realistically deal with.

It's nice & comforting to have a few thousand rounds of your preferred ammo, a few cases of water, 100 cans of beans & 50lb of rice laid aside but in all actuality, pretty much no one is ready for any eventually & if you're not ready for EVERY POSSIBLE Ess Aitching the Eff situation, really..... why bother?

I was on shift last night and the power went out in a part of town. We were in the truck at a down power line waiting for the power company to come. It was cold. We got to talking about how 99% of people in cold climates are not even prepared to handle a long term power outage in winter.

EastMT

WKR
Most people think they are prepared for a collapse. Having lived off the grid in NW MT for a couple years, no running water, no electricity, I like to think I am prepared. In reality, I had a truck to haul water, full of gas, atv, chainsaw, all running on gas you probably couldn’t get if it was a real SHTF.

It takes about 2 weeks living in a 20x20 cabin with a wood cook stove, oil lamps, before you quit reaching for the light switch that isn’t there. It was a blast, no cell service, internet, did have a phone line.

Having lived that way by choice, I don’t see too many people getting along well, even the outdoors types, me included if it got seriously bad. I don’t think we are there, and I’m not worried. We have made it through worse times, and made a hell of a lot tougher generations out of it.

We’ve had an apocalypse/end of America as we know it if X/Y wins every 4 years since I was in high school. So many apocalypses I’ve survived already........

All the doomsday talk is as old as time. Will you be ready for it? Nope. People that have been dreaming for it and preparing will die. People that dont know what the crap is happening will live. It will have more to do with luck than anything else.

I was on shift last night and the power went out in a part of town. We were in the truck at a down power line waiting for the power company to come. It was cold. We got to talking about how 99% of people in cold climates are not even prepared to handle a long term power outage in winter.

Most go out in their vehicle in the cold unprepared to survive if it broke down. That would be a few hours, I can't imagine what they would do for a week or two if their house broke down.

Granted many probably aren't in a situation where they would need to survive if the vehicle broke, some weird guy like me would stop.

silence2.jpg

TBHasler

WKR
I’d say a decent definition might be:
Power outage for 2-3 mos
30 day sylupply of food then none
Looting and theft (retail and personal homes)
Basic services shut down or dramatically effected (sewer, water)
Then pretty much anything that follows after that...

I think staying mentally sane is the most important. The sociamedia is the apocalypse but to escape it you just cancel your account. It crazy how addicted my friends and family are to social media and how stressed they are. I’m happy as hell and they think I’m delirious but I guess I’m crazy since I don’t have social media accounts.

IRL, I have two hand guns and ammo, and a bow and knife, and water treatment tablets and filters, and know plenty of places in the woods I could go primitive camping and be comfortable for a while.

the doomsday prepping is a hobby IMO. the pandemic where I live only wiped grocery stores out for 2-3 weeks and I had enough frozen food to cover 2-3 months.

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
Define “cataclysmic times” or “what’s possible”.
Well, those are subjective terms, but...my definition? Empty food shelves, long gas lines with limited fuel, power outages, gov't out of hand, gun confiscations, riots....etc. Some of these things are a reality in parts of the country already.

Around 2010 I told my wife that we needed to get at least 100 lbs. of rice and 100 lbs. beans for storage. She laughed at me and said that Americans would never experience food shortages in our lifetimes.

Watching those 2-3 mile highway food lines in various states this Summer due to empty grocery stores and covid was unfortunate vindication of what I told her.

Sounds like the BLM riots in Northern Idaho must have been pretty serious this past summer. Glad you and your family survived. God speed.
I guess that glib comment is supposed to mean that because we are remote and largely unaffected by much of the national chaos that we should bury our heads in the sand.

Not advocating for paranoia, just preparedness.

Status
Not open for further replies.