Are you spending your points this year?

I have been banking points in a lot of the states out west. My little nest egg feels really nice to sit on...until I start to look at what some of the best units cost in points. I always beat myself up "should I spend, or bank". I am close, but still miles away on some of the better units. I have 10+ points in a lot of states. Going to "spend" some of those points this year. So who else is "spending", and on what? Anyone spending a LOT of points for a unit you have been waiting for?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
big10,
that is the dilemma, and as you pointed out, even if you have 10+ points, we still may never draw a good tag. It's hard when your points start to get up there and you don't want to waste them, especially when some great animals come from not-hard-to-draw units or even general tags. It's kind of a no-man's land when you get above about 4 points but aren't near the top of the state point pools. Very depressing and not what a lot of us expected when we got in the point game a decade or more ago. Points have become a necessary evil to me.

As for me, I'm likely only spending a few Colorado points this year, unless Nevada is kind to me. Good luck to you and have fun spending them. Hope you get a great hunt.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Almost better when you have few points than when you have five less than it takes draw. That's when they own you and the creep never lets you draw

OP
big10hunter
I kinda wish Colorado would exercise the program they had a few years ago where you could use "some" of your points and bank whatever was above and beyond what it takes to draw. I would do this and hope to get some quality hunts instead of chasing the point creeping units!

aggieland

WKR
I plan to burn 3 PP this year in Colorado for Deer. Not even a clue what unit i'm going to try and draw but maybe I can come up with something before the deadline. If anyone has any suggestions p.m me.

JasonWi

WKR
I'm fairly sure I'm going to dump my 16 PP's for OR antelope.

I'm sitting in the 3-4 PP range in all states so I'm going to be hunting alot of the mid-tere units. Decided I'd rather get to hunt more often than wait for the premium tags thats I may never draw.

littlebuf

Banned
i try to spend them every year, but they dont seem to want them. theres a couple tags i shoudl draw this year but none of the big ones unless i get real lucky. one thing i still like about washingtons system is luck still factors in. its not perfect but at least you have a chance every year, unlike a lot of states where you know you wont draw. here you just probably wont...

I'm likely spending 2pp in Colorado this year for deer. Though I'm bein gracious and letting my hunting partner who has zero borrow one. ;) putting in as a group for some not too hard to draw units as third season and prepared to start learning these units. First pp I drew because a friend put me in for it in 2007, and last year I figured it was a good idea to get another CO deer point as I knew thats where my hunting is leading me... so I don't feel bad "giving" a point to my hunting partner as i really didn't even start my CO research until this year

Sitting on seven in Colorado that are burning a holding my pocket, cashin in next year or 2015 though.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sitting in the 3-4 PP range in all states so I'm going to be hunting alot of the mid-tere units. Decided I'd rather get to hunt more often than wait for the premium tags thats I may never draw.

I think you're smart and you'll likely kill just as good of an animal in a unit you know than a premium unit you draw once. Good luck

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I kinda wish Colorado would exercise the program they had a few years ago where you could use "some" of your points and bank whatever was above and beyond what it takes to draw. I would do this and hope to get some quality hunts instead of chasing the point creeping units!

While there were some apparent downsides to this program, I sure wish they'd do it again and keep it in place for more than a year. Yes, us low guys would suffer for a while, but point creep would probably stop and in five years, there may be hope for the premium hunts. Complicated for sure.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
This is a just a mess for me with points. Points all over and not sure what to do. Plus the Army is on/off again on if I'm deploying so thats a big issue.

Well, I put in for another point in my home state of AZ for elk instead of putting in for a top tier elk unit. I'm a resident and sitting on 10PP for AZ!! Next year!
AZ - 14PP for Antelope
AZ - 7PP Deer

CO
4PP - Elk - I'm really thinking about cashing these in this year tho on unit 49. If anyone has hunted this unit PLEASE let me know if its worth it.
2PP - Deer
4PP - Moose, Goat, Sheep - Got awhile on those

WY
5PP - Elk
4PP - Deer

UT
3 - Elk, Deer

bowuntr

WKR
I have points in most western states and only plan out a couple years at a time on the draws. I apply in five states for sheep and goat tags and have yet to draw. I have max points/weighted points in Co so I anticipate drawing some day. I have a chance to cash 9 deer points in Utah this year. Next year I will be cashing in 9 deer points in Co and 11 elk points in Az. That puts me in to 2015... I'd rather not deal with the points game... Ed F

Whisky

WKR
I think you're smart and you'll likely kill just as good of an animal in a unit you know than a premium unit you draw once. Good luck

I agree with you Robby, and Jason, and I'm going to be doing the same thing. I'm not at the 3-4 PP range yet, but once I get there for 3-4 states, for a few different species, I intend to hunt 1 or two states/species every year, and repeat the process all over again. I'm not known for my patience. I want to be hunting, and gaining experience/knowledge of new areas, instead of sitting around thinking about hunting.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Problem is even lower units are seeing point creep will be interesting to see how states try to address the problem in the next 5 to 8 years