Are your hunt clothes settled?

Diesel

WKR
Just wondering how many have put together a hunting clothes line up that they are satisfied with from early to late season. It seems everyone is still working to put it together.

What is the dream line-up if you had your choice with the least amount of pieces?

Following: I am only missing my puffies and want to see what folks here are going with this year. I have one of those early season camo Eddie Bauer puffies, and it's great for what it is, but I am not prepared for anything below 20 degrees yet. Also need some puffy pants and torn between weight, durability, ease of use (zippers) that these products offer.

Last edited:

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
Mine is never settled, so I concentrate on one or two upgrades per year. My two areas of interest this year are mid layers. I am looking for a good mid layer to go over my sitka light weight body for September elk and a good mid layer for under my Fanatic for cold weather stand hunting. Each hunting season shows me what I would like to change for the next.

I think I’m set, it’s all kuiu just because it’s what I know. Haven’t branched out and don’t feel like I need to. Just need some thicker rain pants at some point.

Long johns: kuiu peloton 97, merino 200. Can layer if real cold.

Pants: kuiu tiburon, attack, guide. Also super down ultra pants

Base layers: merino T, merino 125 LS, enduro LS

Mid layers: peloton 97, peloton 240, kenai hoodless

Outer layer: kutana soft shell, chugach rain jacket, super down ultra, super down pro

UL rain gear: Teton jacket and ultra NX pants

Hats: lucky cabelas ball cap, peloton 240 beanie, guide beanie, redhead orange beanie

Socks: some light merino hickers, Costco merino, and kenetrek super thick merino for cold.

It’s a lot of stuff, but it’s been slowly accumulated over the past 6-7 years. Takes me from 100 degree summer heat to the teens. Haven’t done much hunting in single digit or below, but I think with some pac boots I’d be set.

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
Following: I am only missing my puffies and want to see what folks here are going with this year. I have one of those early season camo Eddie Bauer puffies, and it's great for what it is, but I am not prepared for anything below 20 degrees yet. Also need some puffy pants and torn between weight, durability, ease of use (zippers) that these products offer.
I’m pretty much at the same point. I have my jackets covered but looking to pick up some down pants.
I’ll also be getting a pair of the EB Guide Pro work pants........when they go on sale.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve stopped obsessing over my clothes, I have a few totes full of hunting clothes I just grab what I need. At this point something would have to be pretty dope for me to drop the $$$ because I probably have something completely satisfactory in those totes.

RCB

WKR
Merino base layer tops and bottoms. Manufacturer doesn’t really matter. Fleece jacket and down puffy, again brand doesn’t really matter. Wool neck gaiter, mine happens to be from firstlite but doesn’t matter. Orange beanie and hat. A breathable rain jacket from outdoor research but there are lots of good brands. I wear stretch Brion pants from Prana, basically a slimmer cut of their Zions. Like them a lot. Darn tough wool socks. I went with Randy Newbergs advice and bought chopper mittens for colder weather glassing - nice and warm. But also have some light Sitka traverse gloves.
That’s pretty much it. I don’t have any desire to “upgrade” to any of the hunting brands. I doubt it makes much difference. Basically, buy reasonably light weight stuff, in earth tones, that fits your body, that covers all the weather you are likely to encounter. Cotton best avoided. There isn’t much beyond that.

Tanner W

Lil-Rokslider
Everything I have I make work from early to late season, really what I am doing is upgrading here and there. This year I think I’ll be getting the zip off base layer bottoms.

I think I'm pretty well set on clothes although I seem to always buy more shit that I probably don't need. 4 sets of Kuiu rain gear (Yukon, 2-Chugach, and Ultra), several sets of puffy gear (4-5 Kuiu SD jackets and pullovers both hooded and not, Kuiu SD pants, Patagonia Compressor pants/jacket, and Goosefeet down pants), multiple sets of Kuiu base layers, yada, yada. So, in short, the answer is NO, I don't need anymore clothing, but I'm always in the market for more. :)

renagde

WKR
Are we talking Western or Eastern hunting. I'm pretty much set, although a pair of stratus pants would be nice for colder PA whitetails.

My setup is currently merino baselayers (first lite and REI), Black Ovis merino boxers, Sitka Core lightweight hoody, Apex hoody, Jetstream jacket, Kuiu superdown jacket. Sitka Apex pants, Timberline pants for cold weather, UA Alpine Ops puffy pants.

For whitetail hunting I just add my Fanatic jacket to the mix. Keeps me covered for pretty much everything I need.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I think I’m up to 4 totes full of clothing between stuff I was given to test and stuff I have purchased.

I’m always trying out and acquiring new gear since my stuff sees so many days in the field every year.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I think I'm pretty well set on clothes although I seem to always buy more shit that I probably don't need. 4 sets of Kuiu rain gear (Yukon, 2-Chugach, and Ultra), several sets of puffy gear (4-5 Kuiu SD jackets and pullovers both hooded and not, Kuiu SD pants, Patagonia Compressor pants/jacket, and Goosefeet down pants), multiple sets of Kuiu base layers, yada, yada. So, in short, the answer is NO, I don't need anymore clothing, but I'm always in the market for more. :)

4 sets of kuiu raingear??? That’s pretty epic. i just have one pair, yukon at the moment, I plan to just abuse them until I can get the stone glacier ones.

Bbell12

WKR
What are you guys using for late season/really cold weather pants? That’s about the only thing I lack in my system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
What are you guys using for late season/really cold weather pants? That’s about the only thing I lack in my system.

Depends on the application and temps. Are you taking tree stand? Keep you warm while glassing and at camp?

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
Treestand hunting is a totally different ballgame for me when it comes to clothing.

Fatcamp

WKR
No. We hunted in really tough conditions last November and decided to make some improvements. Primarily Sitka jackets. Our coats were so bulky it was really cumbersome.

Going with Traverse Cold Weather Hoody under Jetstream jackets. Should be trim and warm. We were very impressed by our Sitka gloves and have decided to venture a little farther in. Now to find that stuff for a reasonable price.

Bbell12

WKR
Depends on the application and temps. Are you taking tree stand? Keep you warm while glassing and at camp?

Applications like tree stand, glassing, still hunting....for active cold weather hunting there’s not much of a difference for me between that and my regular system.