Area 102 Wyoming

Beaglegun

Lil-Rokslider
I applied for this area for antelope. From my research I believe I should get drawn. Finding pulic access with zero pts is difficult and I finally desided on this area because I believe I will have the best scenery and have oppertunity. I also applied for region Y mule deer. Would love advice from anybody with experiance in this area.

NEWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
102 had leftover doe tags last year. If they have any this year I’d suggest putting in for some. If I had a 102 tag I’d try and put him to bed and be waiting on the sun to rise opening morning.

I was in Y last year and it was crowded on the opener where I was at. Good luck - interested to hear how you do.

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
I looked at 102 but there is so little public that isnt the Bighorn Mountains that it sure doesnt look like you would have much area to roam. The only spots are in the SE and NE part of the unit that have public roads touching them. All would require a long walk Im guessing before you got into anything

Unless you have private lined up or found a place with a trespass fee you are going to be hunting a couple small chunks of public that are crowded and will have the antelope pushed onto private quick. It is cool country up there though.

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldnt call the public chunks 'small' per se, the one chunk is the Bud Love Area at around 6700 acres but it only has one access on the East side but if you like to hike you could put on about 20 miles in there. The state piece to the north of that is 10k acres but only has one access on the South. Again if you like to hike, its about 5 miles up to the north end of it so you certainly could get away from folks I'm guessing.

Not to offend, but I consider antelope hunting to be the 'lazy mans' hunt , in that so many guys will not go more then a couple hundred yards from their truck. That works just fine by the sounds of it in the harder to draw western units that also have more public roads touching private, but if you are looking to hunt in any low draw unit you are probably going to have to do some walking. Its crazy to even have to say that when I come from a background of turkey, whitetail(public) and elk where seems like all I do is walk! Even if you could get one by road hunting , that just isnt the type of hunt I would want to do.

Not all that public is antelope country. I've hunted 102 quite a bit as I have a friend that lives off of French Creek just outside of Buffalo. I'm not trying to be a naysayer but I wouldn't hunt it without having something lined up as far as private or access of some sort.

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
That does tend to be the wild card in most units- it may have accessible public but then the question is does it hold any decent quantity of antelope? I know guys say' there are antelope everywhere!' in WY- that may be true outside of October but in season is going to be a different story.

OP
Beaglegun

Beaglegun

Lil-Rokslider
0 pt, DIY hunt doesn't give me very many areas to pick and choose from. Also, I was trying to draw antelope and mule deer in the same area. This is why I choose 102. I planned on putting in a lot of miles.

I did'nt draw a deer license. There are leftover cow/calf licenses, for area 36. (36-6) Should I apply?

OP
Beaglegun

Beaglegun

Lil-Rokslider
After 9am on opening day your chances reduced 75%. Antelope everywhere on private land and none on public. Beautiful country makes it worth it. Just make sure you kill by 9am

OP
Beaglegun

Beaglegun

Lil-Rokslider
My son killed a buck at 8am. I missed one at 8:15. Had a few more opportunities at bucks and couldn't get my s$%t together. I coulda shot does or button bucks at any time. Found a piece of private thr last half of last day and put on a stalk and blew that also.