Area 72 WY

khunter20

FNG
I have two doe tags for area 72. I am planning to go the first week of season. Is anyone willing to offer up some advice? This will be my first antelope hunt ever so its going to be a learning experience to say the least. I was also wondering what I can expect as far as weather goes and can anyone share a little insight on how the walk in areas work? I read what I could on Wyomings fish and game about them. It'll be a 6 hour drive for me so any info is greatly appreciated!

NDhunter1

FNG
I have a tag close to that area. Weather could be snow and chilly or sunny and 90. Pray for no rain, that country is challenging to get around after a rain. There are plenty of antelope around. Filling a few doe tags shouldn't be super challenging.

archp625

WKR
It depends on when you go. Early on it can be super warm.

As far as shooting a doe pronghorn. You wont have a problem filling those tags at all.

bowhunter307

Lil-Rokslider
That's a great area. Lots of good terrain in the south. Biggest challenge is getting on public land. The biggest swaths are landlocked by private with no access. But the southern part has a lot of BLM you can access from Poison Spider Road and CR320.

Like others have said if it rains or snows get ready for some shit. Bring tire chains and grip boards and don't even think about going in there without 4wd. You'll fill your tags I guarantee.

Get onX or basemap.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

MHWASH

WKR
If the weather is good, there is lots of WIA to hunt. a good portion of that had roads running through them. We've hunted it twice, both times three of us had 3 tags a piece.

The second time we received 16.5 inches of snow on the first day, Oct.1. It melted of quick, making most roads impassable. We still managed to fill 9 tags just driving the one gravel road and doing stocks. I was even able to fill 2 tags just by driving past herds, the walking to the next rise and shooting them with in 300 yrds of the road.

Keep in mind the a field dressed antelope is easily packed out on your back if you get far from the road. We learned this method was easier than dragging or using a game cart.

Jn. Brown

FNG
Hunted 72 last year, this is the first year in 12 we didn’t draw any tags at all. Southern end of the unit, get the hunter access slip. Shouldn’t have any issues filling your tags at all.

OP
K

khunter20

FNG
Thank you for all the advice, ill be heading there in a few weeks to hopefully put some goat meat in the freezer

grefdog

FNG
This is very obvious advice but I was asked for tips from a first time antelope hunter last year. My advice was to make sure you were comfortable with a shot out to 300 yards. If this is past where you are currently comfortable that would be what I would work on. Going the first week of the season they shouldn’t be pressured as much so you might get a nice easy shot.

Area 72 is going to be windy. Near Casper the wind only blows if you are alone or with something.

Good luck and happy to help with any other questions.

When you think you might be in an area without roads a pickup truck will appear from nowhere. I couldn’t find a way to determine which roads were and were not legal and that frustrated the hell out of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fish impaler

Lil-Rokslider
Send me a PM, hunted 72 last year, also lost my rangefinder in a very small area where we shot a goat, happy to point you to it .