Area with elk that wont bugle? 3 years-5 bugles

Our area was really quiet this year compared to years past. I saw a couple of wolves, which I never see during the general season. And we saw a lot of wolf tracks. It sure doesn't seem like that alone would turn things so quiet in one year, but who knows?
Yes... it will! If you saw some as well as lots of tracks then the elk are definitely reacting to their presence. Those wolves are hunting 24/7/375 man!

Yes... it will! If you saw some as well as lots of tracks then the elk are definitely reacting to their presence. Those wolves are hunting 24/7/375 man!

Normally I may see one in a season, I personally saw 4. Most friends I spoke with saw some. Plus tracks all over. So maybe that’s it. Not a great sign for the future though...wolves seem to increase always.

OP
Pwells10

Pwells10

WKR
That many guys for that many days for 3 years means it’s no fluke. Something has changed. I know you said no wolves but you also said the occasional wolf. In my experience if there’s one thing that will shut down the bugling it’s wolves. There’s really no other logical reason. Elk will do what they do until they fear for their lives.
Only thing with wolves, is we've (as a group) have seen 1. Heard zero howls. And have only heard from others seeing 1 here and there. I'm sure there js more than i think but I dont believe it's anywhere close to the majority of idaho.

OP
Pwells10

Pwells10

WKR
Any chance you have elk in that area, right up to the time you start your hunt, but they relocate around that time? Do you have your cameras out during the season? If yes, do they show the elk are still there? Some areas look great prior to the season, but the elk move to a different area around the same time each year.

If the elk are still there when you're hunting, the answer is one of three things IMO: 1) hunting pressure shuts them up, 2) there are wolves in the area and you're not aware of it, 3) your timing has been really crappy the last few years and you've been there when the elk aren't talking (although I doubt this one given how long you've been there each year).
Yea we have cams all year till last day of season.And always elk on atleast one can a day. There's always a ton of pressure,usually that doesn't stop them. Hell, grouse hunters patrol the road and shoot off all day,always had bugles.

One year my dad told me, there was a camp below them blasting metallica, and they had a 5 point come out of the trees to see what the noise was lol

Huntnnw

WKR
need more info. where are you hunting, what time of year, archery, ml, rifle, etc.

are you sure there’s no resident wolves? wolves will make them go silent for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thats not entirely true. I hunt a area that is loaded with wolves and the elk seem to have no care. I have elk and wolves hitting the same water hole almost daily