ARGALI RINCON 2P Tent.....it is in my hands.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Christmas in late June.....gotta love it.
Brown Santa stopped by today with a box from Argali. It contained the Rincon 2 person tent that I pre-ordered and it's gonna get a workout the next 3 days in the Frank Church.
I did not get the nest (YET) so I have the tent and the carbon pole which I won't use this first trip as I'd like to try out the trekking pole. First impression is awesome. Very lightweight, looks high quality and very compact.

The first thing I did, of course, was weigh everything. Duh.

Tent, stovejack, 8 stakes, carry bag, all up weighed 25.3 ounces.

Carbon pole.......10 ounces.

I'll give an update with trip photos early next week.

Randy20220630_172633.jpg20220630_172754.jpg

big217boy

FNG
Nice! Mine is scheduled to arrive next week. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please post some pics after your adventure into the Frank. Mine gets here today, right before I leave on a trip 😭. Now I have to wait a week before I get to lay hands on mine. Super excited about it. Especially knowing the weights are pretty darn accurate!!

Moserkr

WKR
Cant wait for the report!! Been watching the release and waiting for some real world testing.

Carbon pole seems heavy though. My 8’ tipi pole from ruta locura weighs 14oz and is much beefier than that little one. I would use a trekking pole w/extension if needed though as well.

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Trip/tent update:
So, up into the high country we went......me, the pooch and the argali. Got to the first small lake and it wasn't my destination but it would easily do after 3 miles and 2000k of gain. Pitched the tent after an educational guess and it worked fine. Put the 2 front stakes in, went around and pulled the back middle loop straight while pitching the carbon center pole (I did take it) and put in the other stakes and it was home for the night. Super easy pitch. And it was Ginger approved.
20220701_185902.jpg20220701_191841.jpg20220701_193058.jpg

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
2nd day, higher we climbed to20220702_174653.jpg20220702_171223.jpg an undisclosed lake.....about a mile bushwhack and another 1000 feet or so. Yup, this would do. Stunningly gorgeous and it was all me, no one around. I think maybe I was first in this year. No sign of anyone and it's a difficult lake to access as no defined trail and it was still 3/4 iced over. Ahhh.....ice for the pendleton. Doesn't get much better but wait, it does.20220702_171135.jpg20220702_171015.jpg

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now, the bestest fun part. Fishing was EPIC.
One of the best ever. Cutthroats, rainbows and Goldens. I kept 2 to eat and threw like the next 40 or 50 back. It was unreal. Cooked them on the Purcell trench that PNWGATOR gifted to me.
If my pack goes somewhere, so does the Purcell.20220702_190608.jpg20220702_151246.jpgScreenshot_20220702-175917_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220702-175552_Gallery.jpg

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
The tent. I can usually tell pretty quick if a piece of gear is worthy or a POS.
Now granted, this is one trip with 2 nights in it. But, it's easy to pack, easy to set up and is easy on the eyes......I like the color. And I can tell you all it's storm proven. On Sunday evening into early Monday morning, those huge high country thunderboomers came through. Lots of lightening, high winds, and lots of rain. The tent does NOT, however prevent a brown furry animal who does not like that weather from sleeping on your head. Tent never faltered or even made much noise....it held its tautness great, never leaked or sagged nor any condensation inside. I have not seamsealed it and I did have a high pitch.
It's an absolute palace for one and it would fit two guys easily.
So, that would lead me into a complaint and that's not really fair as its more of a drawback.
It does take up alot more room on the ground. I'm used to smaller setups and when I initially look at my campsites, I thought, great, ill pitch it there. No bueno.......I had to do some ground grooming. So, you'll just have to look for a larger area if you're used to sleeping in a deer bed on the side of a mountain.
One trip and I say thumbs up.👍👍

Randy

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
First I’ve seen of this tent. Seems like a great weight to cost option. I like the idea of the removable stove jack as well. Look forward to seeing and hearing more about it!

Yaada_205

FNG
But, it's easy to pack, easy to set up
Ive been eyeballing this tent a lot... and comparing it to the updated Kuiu Mountain Star 2p. I am on the fence between the two. Looks like the Rincon is just stake edges, then raise middle with pole, and done. Kuiu is shove poles into sleeves, stake edges, then pop poles up by inserting into tabs, and done. Kuiu can setup in rain, net is already attached. Rincon however - set up and then put insert in. But can still be setup in rain. I want something thats easy to setup when exhausted and in the dark. - whats your thoughts on this if you could elaborate more?

So, that would lead me into a complaint and that's not really fair as its more of a drawback.
It does take up alot more room on the ground. I'm used to smaller setups and when I initially look at my campsites, I thought, great, ill pitch it there. No bueno.......I had to do some ground grooming. So, you'll just have to look for a larger area if you're used to sleeping in a deer bed on the side of a mountain.
One trip and I say thumbs up.👍👍

Randy

In comparing the size of foot print -
Rincon = length is 108 " and width is 88 "
Mountain Star = rain fly length 85" and rain fly width - max width at vestibule is "109"
Summit Refuge 3p (I have this one and use it) - rain fly length 150" and rain fly width at max vestibule is 96"

What are the smaller setups you are using? Being on the fence with Rincon vs Mountain Star with the overall footprint - seems as though both are very close.

Also - with regards to size and foot print - have you noticed any issues with the walls being angled heavily towards the middle? Meaning that if you were to sleep more towards the side walls or away from the middle, you really dont have much space above you because the walls being a tipi style will just be angled inward. If that makes sense? With my Summit Refuge that was what I have experienced. Your forced to sleep in the middle and have your gear to the sides.

Being the Rincon is square like footprint - if I slept in the middle - my head is still near a wall that is angled inward and as I sit up I would have my forehead slide along the wall until I cleared it and was fully sitting up. Any issues with this? (I hope I am explaining it well)

Also in your first few pics what did you use as a mat (green) for your insulated pad? I am strongly considering going floorless and I use a insulted Klymit sleeping pad....I still think I should use something to protect it. With the Kuiu since it has the insert bathtub floor would be protecting my insulated pad.

Thank you for your pics, and review! Really nice trip and enjoyed the beautiful scenery.

Thanks!
Lee

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lee, well I guess you are talking to the right guy. My go to tent has been the kuiu 2p mountain star and it's a GREAT tent......we all basically use them. I used it all last year in some pretty bad weather after having a Marmot tent get absolutely shredded the year before.
And, yes, I was looking at the summit refuge but my goal and desires was to have a one person tent, trekking pole supported (one), lightweight, durable, and stove capable.
And the Rincon checks all the boxes for me. The Rincon and kuiu are apples and oranges and I will use both. As you know, one is freestanding and one is not, one is floor less and one is not.
The mountain star can also be set up in the rain as the fly is attached. You may be referring to the new model with sleeves.......mine is older with the poles and clips on the outside......I absolutely love that setup.
The Rincon may look square but it's not as the back middle comes out more and gives you that extra room. I'm 5-11 and I did not touch the sidewalls whatsover......plenty of room to sit up without your head scraping. Other nice thing I liked is that once the tent is set up, you can open the zipper all the way to the top and you are basically standing in the middle of the tent which is awesome for organizing your gear and setting up a stove.
I read somewhere that it's a one person hot tent but I really think you could do it with two.....keep the stove small and you would have to angle the pipe as the stovejack would be above the 2nd person. I'm working on that.🙂
I have the klymit insulated pad as its got a 75 denier bottom. I always carry a small tarp which is that green you see and I usually put my glassing mat......nemo switchback.......under the klymit for extra protection and insulation. Stone Glacier makes a great 3 ounce ground mat for their sky air tent which has silicone buttons on it for antislippage. I'm gonna try that but they are always out of stock. I think it would work great in a floor less setup.
Man, you can't go wrong with either. Both are GREAT. One real difference between the 2 is price as you know.

Randy20211013_173119.jpg20211011_130120.jpg20211011_130206.jpg20210808_130852.jpg20210626_185817.jpg

Yaada_205

FNG
Randy - Nice pics! - thanks for the input!

Mountain Star old model - yea - I like the clips, and think it would be way easier just to clip them on the poles and be done. I always hated on other tents having to slide poles through sleeves and then taking the tent down having to make sure you dont pull the poles, but push them. But I guess Kuiu felt it was sturdier. I almost want to call "bull$h1T" on that one and that it was all dependent on the manufacturing company no longer supported the clip design. I could be wrong.

I like the Rincon design - but wondering about when using the net insert there will be no vestibule to kick off dirty boots, or put them on in bad weather under the cover of the vestibule. Of course floorless its moot point.

And then with Kuiu having the vestibule.... however what is also making me undecisive between the two tents is the modularity ability that Mountain Star has in the sense I could just detach the insert and use the rain fly only should I go floorless depending on time of year with bugs, or insert the net back in if its buggy.

I guess with your Rincon you wont be using the net insert as it fits your needs for a stove. But do you think or could see yourself using the net insert with it? And then no vestibule, just place boots inside?

Also for comparing ease of setup between Mountain Star and Rincon - which one is the quickest and easiest to setup in the dark when exhausted?

Also with my footprint measurements I got off each website - would you say the measurements are true and confirm they are similar in the size of the floor area they take up?

Thanks again,

Lee

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lee, I haven't measured anything, but the Rincon just seems to take up more space on the ground. Both are super easy to set up and quick. I would think the kuiu would have the edge if you were exhausted as you can put it together and place and move it anywhere. The Rincon would need a place to stake it out.
The nest. I'm not whining or bitching as I know Brad is a busy guy and one can only do so much, HOWEVER, it would be great IF they came up with a half nest. That would solve your vestibule issue if you were solo. I do know others make half nests so I'm going to do some research. I'll make something work!! The RINCON, with a half nest and stove would be the Mac daddy.

Randy

lhowk

FNG
Thanks Randy for the post, I was on the fence on replacing my Black Diamond Mega Light, it has been good to me. After reading your post I checked it out, looks like a nice set up and the price helped move me off the fence. I have one headed my way for a Mt. Goat hunt in August.

Lee, I haven't measured anything, but the Rincon just seems to take up more space on the ground. Both are super easy to set up and quick. I would think the kuiu would have the edge if you were exhausted as you can put it together and place and move it anywhere. The Rincon would need a place to stake it out.
The nest. I'm not whining or bitching as I know Brad is a busy guy and one can only do so much, HOWEVER, it would be great IF they came up with a half nest. That would solve your vestibule issue if you were solo. I do know others make half nests so I'm going to do some research. I'll make something work!! The RINCON, with a half nest and stove would be the Mac daddy.

Randy
I think the LBO nest from SO would fit pretty nice in this set up. At least according to the numbers it would be a fit. I wish I wouldn’t have just sold mine or I would be giving it a try. Though the SO nest would double the weight and put it at near the same weight as a KUIU mtn star tent.

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Randy for the post, I was on the fence on replacing my Black Diamond Mega Light, it has been good to me. After reading your post I checked it out, looks like a nice set up and the price helped move me off the fence. I have one headed my way for a Mt. Goat hunt in August.

I think you will enjoy it. Send some pics.

Randy