Argali S35VN vs Benchmade S30V vs S90V

Ive had all of those knives at some point except the Serac.

In my kill kit is a Argali Col and Tyto Ti finisher. The Col is the skeletonized argali, and is quite a bit smaller than the carbon and serac, and even the Altitude. I keep the Col in my kill kit mostly because it weighs virtually nothing and takes up even less space. I would not take it as a primary fixed blade, but I think it could ultimately get the job done. Fixed blade skeleton knives are like communism, they sound great on paper. I dont think Ive ever used a skeletonized knife and didnt wish it had some kind of scales. At the same time, Ive never carried a fixed blade with scales that was so heavy that I wish it were skeletonized. The Saddle Mountain is pretty easily the heaviest out of that bunch. The altitude has a slightly different feel than most skeleton knives though because of that bit of scales at the front of the handle.

But the Steep Country (old version) will go with me wherever I go. The new version has grown on me a bit, but the old version is for me the alpha and omega. I did a pretty extensive write up on here between those 2.

I dont think you can go wrong with anything you listed though. You might end up going through all of them until you find the right one.

If I had to go with 1 fixed blade (I havent used the Serac):

1) Steep Country Original
2) Argali Carbon
3) Steep Country 2.0
4) Altitude
5) Saddle Mountain

Last edited:
OP
FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up grabbing an argali carbon...everyone I’ve talked to from Argali has been great. They were very quick to return emails and answer questions. I even got a thank you email from Brad, plus it showed up across country with free shipping in 3 business days. Very happy with Argali. So far I like the blade shape, it came shaving sharp, and those g10 scales are real grippy. The only negative I could find was a slight rattle of the blade in the sheath. It’s still quite secure, and you don’t notice it unless you shake it. The steep country has that same thing going.

I picked up one of these a year ago. I really like it. About $115 if you look around. Not fancy steel but seems to hold an edge pretty well. Very light considering it has a real handle.

STAxel

FNG
I ended up grabbing an argali carbon...everyone I’ve talked to from Argali has been great. They were very quick to return emails and answer questions. I even got a thank you email from Brad, plus it showed up across country with free shipping in 3 business days. Very happy with Argali. So far I like the blade shape, it came shaving sharp, and those g10 scales are real grippy. The only negative I could find was a slight rattle of the blade in the sheath. It’s still quite secure, and you don’t notice it unless you shake it. The steep country has that same thing going.
How’s it been treating you the last couple years?