Argentina Dove hunt trip for my 70y.o. Father

My dad turns 70 next year and I want to gift him a father/son bucket list trip of a lifetime...looking for any insight anyone cares to provide.

My dad has taken up more bank fishing and trap shooting in the last 5 years more than hunting trips and sporting clays anymore. He’s in good health, but isn’t as active as he used to be so I am a little worried about the 12-14 hour flight + the daily activity level on this hunt.

For someone who has actually been:
Is this hunt a good blend of relaxing father/son time along with hunting?

Are the logistics a little too much for an old man who hasn’t traveled like that in years?

Is the trip worth it an would you do it again?

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
I've spent around 8-9 months in Argentina if you add up all the time I've spent in country. All of that time was centered on hunting, most on dove.

Question #1: It's a very good blend of relaxing and father/son time. You'll have a morning and evening hunt, expect a few hours for each hunt, with down time in the middle of the day. You can hunt with your dad, or be at a separate post. They take siestas/naps in the middle of the day, or people hang out. Lunch is usually the meal where they have an asado (cook ouside/bbq). Breakfast is usually a quick sit down meal, dinner is usually a longer drawn out social deal since you'll be in the lodge with other groups. Every lodge I've been too/worked at usually has the hunters around a fire or main room for drinks and/or cigars to cap off the evening.

Question #2: The actual flight will likely be the hardest part of the trip for your dad. I'd recommend flying in at least a day or two early into Buenos Aires, and then leaving at least one day to recoup before you fly home. Buenos Aires has a lot to do, and a day or two buffer before the flight to Cordoba is worth it (flight to Cordoba is about an hour to 90 minutes). There are dove hunts in other provinces, I would recommend Cordoba if dove is the only thing you're going after. They won't want you to skip hunts (they make a lot of their money via shells), but if you and your dad want to hang out and skip a hunt, that's a good way to catch a breather.

Question #3: Yes, the trip is 100% worth it, especially if you've never been. It's hard to describe the amount of birds in Argentina, I'd expect it's crazier than ever with almost 2 years of no commercial shooting. I recommend everyone do it at least once. For a lot of people it's a one and done type of trip. It is not a hunt, it is shooting and socializing.

If you have questions, post them here or send them to me, I'd be happy to answer.

Rcol317

FNG
Classified Approved
I've been to Argentina many time's shooting doves and I can assure you it is a fun trip well worth the cost and time. I believe Cordoba Argentina is considered the wing shooting capital of the world. I've learned that there is a big difference in the lodges and the service you receive. Many lodges provide a very expensive 5 star experience but so so wing shooting. I've shot with three different lodges. My favorite is Sierra Brava Lodges, [email protected], Topo and JJ do a great job and everything is first cabin. Due to the covid they are very anxious to book business and have specials going for this next season. Another I've shot with twice is Frontera Wing Shooting also in Cordoba. Tomas Frontera is a true gentleman and tries to give you the best experience and a fun trip. Fronterawingshooting.com. Also a great experience and a real exposure to Argentina. The last one I've shot with is Miles and Miles Outfitters. It was over 15 years ago i believe and I haven't keep in contact. A great experience but more of a gentlemen's shoot with 5 star expectations.

If I can be of any more help let me know. Argentina culture and people are outstanding and you'll be pleased you go. Enjoy Rick [email protected]

Last edited:
OP
B
I've spent around 8-9 months in Argentina if you add up all the time I've spent in country. All of that time was centered on hunting, most on dove.

Question #1: It's a very good blend of relaxing and father/son time. You'll have a morning and evening hunt, expect a few hours for each hunt, with down time in the middle of the day. You can hunt with your dad, or be at a separate post. They take siestas/naps in the middle of the day, or people hang out. Lunch is usually the meal where they have an asado (cook ouside/bbq). Breakfast is usually a quick sit down meal, dinner is usually a longer drawn out social deal since you'll be in the lodge with other groups. Every lodge I've been too/worked at usually has the hunters around a fire or main room for drinks and/or cigars to cap off the evening.

Question #2: The actual flight will likely be the hardest part of the trip for your dad. I'd recommend flying in at least a day or two early into Buenos Aires, and then leaving at least one day to recoup before you fly home. Buenos Aires has a lot to do, and a day or two buffer before the flight to Cordoba is worth it (flight to Cordoba is about an hour to 90 minutes). There are dove hunts in other provinces, I would recommend Cordoba if dove is the only thing you're going after. They won't want you to skip hunts (they make a lot of their money via shells), but if you and your dad want to hang out and skip a hunt, that's a good way to catch a breather.

Question #3: Yes, the trip is 100% worth it, especially if you've never been. It's hard to describe the amount of birds in Argentina, I'd expect it's crazier than ever with almost 2 years of no commercial shooting. I recommend everyone do it at least once. For a lot of people it's a one and done type of trip. It is not a hunt, it is shooting and socializing.

If you have questions, post them here or send them to me, I'd be happy to answer.
Thank you for the detailed response, I greatly appreciate it. I was already thinking about how to spread out the travel like you mentioned, but helpful to look more at Buenos Aires rather than spending all the time in Cordoba.

A lot of what you describe is exactly as I was envisioning it.

By chance, have you spent any time at the David Denies outfit? I have that group on my radar right now that was recommended to me by a coworker.

OP
B
I've been to Argentina many time's shooting doves and I can assure you it is a fun trip well worth the cost and time. I believe Cordoba Argentina is considered the wing shooting capital of the world. I've learned that there is a big difference in the lodges and the service you receive. Many lodges provide a very expensive 5 star experience but so so wing shooting. I've shot with three different lodges. My favorite is Sierra Brava Lodges, [email protected], Topo and JJ do a great job and everything is first cabin. Due to the covid they are very anxious to book business and have specials going for this next season. Another I've shot with twice is Frontera Wing Shooting also in Cordoba. Tomas Frontera is a true gentleman and tries to give you the best experience and a fun trip. Fronterawingshooting.com. Also a great experience and a real exposure to Argentina. The last one I've shot with is Miles and Miles Outfitters. It was over 15 years ago i believe and I haven't keep in contact. A great experience but more of a gentlemen's shoot with 5 star expectations.

If I can be of any more help let me know. Argentina culture and people are outstanding and you'll be pleased you go. Enjoy Rick [email protected]
Thank you very much for the reply and the recommended outfitters! Thats very helpful as I am looking into all of those right now trying to find reviews and figure out how they like to run things.

Very nice of you to offer up your email and I will probably take you up on that after I nail down a couple and talk to them.

KAB

FNG
I did exactly what you are describing a few years ago. I took both my mom and my dad and they were in their early 70s we spent two days in Buenos Aires seeing the sights and recovering from the flight and then went to Cordoba and straight to the lodge from there. We went with Los Chanares and everything was top notch. The lodge is a 5 minute drive from the fields so you can relax at the lodge between the morning and evening shoots. My dad and I shot from the same stand each day (just ask them if you want to do this) and socialized while we shot and as others have mentioned there is plenty of downtime at the lodge for socializing and resting as well. It was an excellent trip for spending quality time together. My parents still talk about the trip all of the time and my mom did not even hunt. As other's have said the flight there is the worst part, but most of the flights are overnight so you can sleep through as much of it as possible. I think the Argentina trip is the best choice for what you are wanting to do with your dad.

I am not sure if they still do it, but when I was there you could exchange US dollars for pesos in what they called the grey market and receive almost double what the government exchange rate was. One of the guys at the lodge said that he flew to Argentina, exchanged his money in the grey market and then bought his ticket to Cordoba, hotel and return ticket home with pesos in order to reduce the cost of those things by nearly half. We had already bought our tickets in advance so we did not get to take advantage of this.

Also, they speak English at the lodge, but in Buenos Aires and Cordoba you will need to know some Spanish or have a way to translate a few key words. We learned by experience that when you order from a menu in Argentina without being able to read anything in Spanish you can end up with some pretty strange stuff. We ended up with a pizza covered in hard boiled eggs once, and a plate full of sweetbreads at another place.

OP
B
I did exactly what you are describing a few years ago. I took both my mom and my dad and they were in their early 70s we spent two days in Buenos Aires seeing the sights and recovering from the flight and then went to Cordoba and straight to the lodge from there. We went with Los Chanares and everything was top notch. The lodge is a 5 minute drive from the fields so you can relax at the lodge between the morning and evening shoots. My dad and I shot from the same stand each day (just ask them if you want to do this) and socialized while we shot and as others have mentioned there is plenty of downtime at the lodge for socializing and resting as well. It was an excellent trip for spending quality time together. My parents still talk about the trip all of the time and my mom did not even hunt. As other's have said the flight there is the worst part, but most of the flights are overnight so you can sleep through as much of it as possible. I think the Argentina trip is the best choice for what you are wanting to do with your dad.

I am not sure if they still do it, but when I was there you could exchange US dollars for pesos in what they called the grey market and receive almost double what the government exchange rate was. One of the guys at the lodge said that he flew to Argentina, exchanged his money in the grey market and then bought his ticket to Cordoba, hotel and return ticket home with pesos in order to reduce the cost of those things by nearly half. We had already bought our tickets in advance so we did not get to take advantage of this.

Also, they speak English at the lodge, but in Buenos Aires and Cordoba you will need to know some Spanish or have a way to translate a few key words. We learned by experience that when you order from a menu in Argentina without being able to read anything in Spanish you can end up with some pretty strange stuff. We ended up with a pizza covered in hard boiled eggs once, and a plate full of sweetbreads at another place.
Great, thank you for the insight! I will add Los Chanares to the list to research!

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the detailed response, I greatly appreciate it. I was already thinking about how to spread out the travel like you mentioned, but helpful to look more at Buenos Aires rather than spending all the time in Cordoba.

A lot of what you describe is exactly as I was envisioning it.

By chance, have you spent any time at the David Denies outfit? I have that group on my radar right now that was recommended to me by a coworker.

I haven't hunted or worked with David Denies outfit, but it has a good reputation. Any of the long standing operations will provide a first class experience. I would not suggest going bargain shopping. A lot of new outfits popped up over the last 5-10 years, some good, some terrible. I'm hoping COVID did one good thing and weeded out the bad operations.

Any good outfitter will have plenty of references to pass along, take advantage of that.