Arizona 12A west tag early hunt

elkman224

Lil-Rokslider
After 13 years we drew AZ unit 12A west deer hunt. It is the earlier hunt at the end of October, vs the end of November hunt. The guide we would like to hunt with gave us the hunt choices and we drew the hunt with our second choice with the later hunt being choice 1.

He says that the later hunt is a better hunt due to the migration from Utah.

Does anyone have any input, experience with the 12 A hunt in late October? We are debating donating the tags back and restoring our points, we have point guard, and holding out for the late hunt.

Any help would be appreciated.

sbcff15

Lil-Rokslider
With that many points on the line, it would be kinda hard not to hold out for the late hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tough decision but the outfitter should greatly increase your chances of harvesting a good buck. In 2020 it took 22 points to guarantee a tag in max point draw so you will likely never get there. Before the draw this year there were 2901 people with 14 or more points. The max anyone has was 24. Obviously your chances increase in the random draw as you go forward. If you decide to go I hope you have a great hunt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hunt it, your chance of killing a great buck is likely a good deal higher than drawing the late hunt.

j_volt

WKR
Why did the guide tell you to put that as your second choice if he would dissuade you from using the tag if drawn?

It appears to be a pretty good moisture year as well. Could be some nice bucks if the rains keep up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
Questions: Are you sure it’s the 12a hunt? That hunt does not depend on deer fro
utah. The 12b hunt does.

What size quality are you looking for? Are you looking for a rut hunt?

The 12aw or 12ae early hunt is not in the rut. But they are good hunts. 350 tags is down from 500 when I had the 12aw early. Pretty easy to find a 160. The best guide kills deer over 190 on that hunt. There is a big difference in deer numbers between east and west with west way better.

unless you’re 220 or bust I would hunt the early hunt. As long as it’s 12a and not 12b

OP
elkman224

elkman224

Lil-Rokslider
Hunt number is 1016. 12 A west. I have a 190 plus and a 200+ deer on my wall from DIY hunts. I want to hold out for at least a 190ish deer or I will come home with nothing. Therefore would like to maximize our opportunity for that goal. Thanks to all who reply.

otmeeks

FNG
Last year was very dry and hot almost no migration before the early hunts for 12B and 12A. There were still very good deer take, especially in 12A. Plenty of big resident deer in 12A, a good local guide should know where they are.

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
Hunt number is 1016. 12 A west. I have a 190 plus and a 200+ deer on my wall from DIY hunts. I want to hold out for at least a 190ish deer or I will come home with nothing. Therefore would like to maximize our opportunity for that goal. Thanks to all who reply.
The deer that are killed on the late hunt are in the unit during the October hunt (minus a few that come off the park). So they are there and killable but harder to find. You might never catch the late hunt. Especially if they cut tags again. I wouldn’t turn the tag in but it’s up to you.

Sobrbiker

WKR
Point creep is bad enough to suffer, let alone having to read people whining that the tag they drew isn’t good enough for them and wasting it by hem hawing around for then turning it back in and AZGFD not getting it to the next person because they’re busy.
You drew it, go hunt it-I don’t wanna hear your luxury problems.

OP
elkman224

elkman224

Lil-Rokslider
Please keep all negative and non constructive, whiny comments of this thread. Thanks.

Last edited:

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
Tough call. How old are you? If you think you’re still going to be hunting in 20 years go ahead and turn it back in. Somebody will be happy to get it.

Like others said, the odds are against you from ever drawing the late hunt. You’re 9-10 points away from the bonus pass and the draw odds are about half a percent on the regular draw. In 2020 it took 11 points to draw a tag in the bonus pass for the early rifle hunt. There’s a number of folks have more points than you as well. That’s the problem when everyone puts in for the same couple of units chasing a dream.

On a related note what you consider “negative” is actually the truth. You submitted your app with early rifle 12AW. You knew ahead of time that there’s a chance that is the tag that you would draw. You we’re very fortunate to draw that tag and now you give the impression that you’re whining about it. Reminds me of a guy I met who bitched about drawing a desert bighorn tag in a non-prestige unit.

At the end of the day it is your decision on whether to do the hunt or turn it back in to G&F. Take a long hard look at your age, health, the true odds of drawing your dream tag, and if you are good if you never draw your dream tag.

OP
elkman224

elkman224

Lil-Rokslider
No whining going on. A name mentioned above advised us how to apply and then informed us that we drew the wrong hunt. Therefore we are questioning whether to hold out or cash in and move on. We have spent alot of money, as everyone else who applies as a non resident, for the privilege of even applying in AZ and want to maximize our opportunity. We have received excellent feedback and advice via PM's and phone calls as to what to do. A lot of jealous haters on these forums can really sour it for the rest.

OP
elkman224

elkman224

Lil-Rokslider
And no one knows what else is involved behind the scenes as far as other hunts, work related issues, family etc. So keep your whining drivel to yourselves please. I hope one day you find yourself in our position.