Arizona 23 late rifle elk

MAC1585

FNG
Let me preface this w/ I’m not looking for anyone’s secret spot I’m just trying to figure a few things out. I drew a permit for the late rifle season in unit 23 and really wasn’t expecting to. I had planned on heading up there to scout prior to my hunt but w/ all of this corona stuff going on I doubt I will be able to. I’m seeing a lot of roads on my maps that seem like either atv/utv roads or narrow dirt roads. What is the weather like that time of year? Can I expect to drive on a majority of these roads or will I need to take along the Polaris? As far as camping in Arizona goes can I just set up camp anywhere or do I need to be in a designated campground? I’ve got some spots that look promising just based off terrain and access to food/water, I’m assuming the tactics that work for me in Colorado would carry over here as well? Thanks in advance for any help

Beendare

WKR
Know where the Rez border is... apparently the guides in that unit struggle with the concept.
Good advice.
We talked to the GW 2 years ago and one kid that was shed hunting in there and got caught; Took his truck, swaro. binos, even his boots and still dinged his $10,000 bail. It gets expensive if you don't know where you are.

You can camp anywhere as long as its not too close to a Tank.

Roads can be bad to horrible.......my guide buddy has broken shock mounts on a Tacoma in those units. Its either a muddy mess or a dust cloud. A side by side thats sealed against dust coming up from the bottom is best.

I help a buddy guide in a similar unit. We talk to hunters driving around that never see an elk the whole season....where we are typically 80%.

I can give you a hint; those elk are hunkered down pretty good that time of year. Best of luck.

______

OP
M

MAC1585

FNG
Good advice.
We talked to the GW 2 years ago and one kid that was shed hunting in there and got caught; Took his truck, swaro. binos, even his boots and still dinged his $10,000 bail. It gets expensive if you don't know where you are.

You can camp anywhere as long as its not too close to a Tank.

Roads can be bad to horrible.......my guide buddy has broken shock mounts on a Tacoma in those units. Its either a muddy mess or a dust cloud. A side by side thats sealed against dust coming up from the bottom is best.

I help a buddy guide in a similar unit. We talk to hunters driving around that never see an elk the whole season....where we are typically 80%.

I can give you a hint; those elk are hunkered down pretty good that time of year. Best of luck.

______
Thanks! I’m no stranger to bad roads haha, and I figured they’d be hunkered down. Thanks again