Arizona 3b late muzzleloader

Anybody pull this tag before? Any insight on what I should be expecting as in road conditions and access to certain parts of the unit?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Maverick940

Banned
Which late muzzleloader hunt? The November hunt or the December hunt? Not that it makes a difference, really. But, you'll want a four-wheel-drive with chains and a come-along, plus a good shovel. Some good bulls up there, though.

The southern portion of the unit is has many FS and fire control roads crossing the unit. If you don't mind walking the Woolhouse habitat area is good, you can get on several small peaks and glass from them.

OP
ohhiitznik
The southern portion of the unit is has many FS and fire control roads crossing the unit. If you don't mind walking the Woolhouse habitat area is good, you can get on several small peaks and glass from them.
Thanks bud, appreciate it. I'll find out if they're closing them or not.

Maverick940

Banned
The Apache/Sitgreaves roads are open during the hunting season. None of those will be locked up. Neither will any of the State Trust Land roads and Bureau of Land Management roads. The roadless area within the unit isn't a bad option, but it's definitely not your only option for a bigger than average bull. Don't forget that there's some awesome hunting in the stuff that you wouldn't consider to be "classic" elk habitat. Some of those bigger bulls, if not most of those bigger bulls, are going to be found in habitat that's flat as a pancake and coveted with P/J.

OP
ohhiitznik
The Apache/Sitgreaves roads are open during the hunting season. None of those will be locked up. Neither will any of the State Trust Land roads and Bureau of Land Management roads. The roadless area within the unit isn't a bad option, but it's definitely not your only option for a bigger than average bull. Don't forget that there's some awesome hunting in the stuff that you wouldn't consider to be "classic" elk habitat. Some of those bigger bulls, if not most of those bigger bulls, are going to be found in habitat that's flat as a pancake and coveted with P/J.
Should be fun hunting flat ground trying to find these critters!

I hunted cow elk there in December a few years ago. Had a great time but wasn’t hunting for bulls. I saw a few spikes with the cow herds and my partner claimed to have a seen a branch antlered bull although I didn’t get a good look. Access is good but be careful of crossing into private land

OP
ohhiitznik
I missed a nice branch bull. Not the best hunt but it was fun. Mostly smaller elk. Saw plenty of cows.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cojo1489

FNG
The unit is split into north and south by Hwy 60, would you guys say to start looking north or south of it? We will have 3-4 days of pure scouting prior to opening day.

AZFF19

FNG
Anybody pull this tag before? Any insight on what I should be expecting as in road conditions and access to certain parts of the unit?

you get 22N? I took one out of there a few years ago on a rifle hunt a week later than your muzzie. Check just west of Payson below Diamond Point if that’s your area. Power line area by Tonto Village can be productive too. Some lesser bulls may still be found with a few cows but the toads are gonna be tired, broken, and hidden away. If it’s hot, don’t expect a lot of movement. find a high point and glass. That being said, I drew a 11/29-12/5 Bull in 3B - not afraid of hiking but just curious if anyone willing to share pearls of wisdom for that GMU. Thanks in advance and happy hunting!