Arizona 7e experiences

So turns out I got drawn for more than I expected this year. I have been drawn for a general tag in Wyoming and Montana and an Arizona September archery tag in unit 7e. This was at the bottom of my option list for tags. Curious what people's experiences were with this unit during this hunt. I have heard and seen the documentation that they are loading it up with more tags. I have hunted Arizona 6A for archery and seen how much pressure can be in the Metro units relative to other places. Curious what your satisfaction was for time you spent in the unit. I recognize that I will be contending with the hikers coming out of flag as well.

I know Arizona in September can be special but I don't have a good feel for how much more pressure to expect here. Especially with the state doing both a 7e and a 7e Wilderness tag.

I have never hunted that tag, but I have heard through friends as well as a few podcasts (Jay Scott's podcast specifically) that the 7E hunt is one of the worst in the state due to what they've done in recent years with tag numbers and wiping all the elk out. Jay had someone on last year who said under no circumstance would they hunt that tag as the elk are completely gone. I have heard similar things from others. Do you have point guard? If you drew it with substantial points, maybe point guard/turning your tag back in is the way to go. If you only had a couple of points, I say give it hell!

Not sure what your work schedule is like but if you could take a lot of time off, you could hunt all three of those tags and presumably do well on all of them.

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
7e might have a lower elk population than than other Az elk units, but it still has elk. I’ve been a part of several hunts there. My buddy has killed a 335 bull and a 300 bull out of 7e. I hit a 320ish bull, but shot was too high. It’s no unit 9, but it’s still a fun elk hunt. You just gotta work for it. There are plenty of glassing opportunities in 7e.

trevvamos

Lil-Rokslider
Tough unit, but as they say, any AZ elk tag is a good tag. PM me if your still looking for advice