Arizona archery deer hunt.

Chadd314

FNG
Headed down to region 5 2nd week of January for the deer archery and have a few spots picked out. Just wondering if anyone has some insight on access or road conditions in either 36A or 36B?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just spent a week in 36B. Border activity is higher than what I’ve seen the past several years.

1) Saw several “spotters” who made no attempt to hide. This was on the US side.
2) Saw fewer BP patrols overall. Mostly they just drove “fast” while making their rounds.
3) BP checkpoint between Amado and Arivaca has been removed. Much easier for people and product to move north.
4) Multiple instances of hearing drones and then saw armed men shortly after using GPS to pick up what was dropped (small packages). One group walked by us (100 yards) and didn’t care that we were there.
5) Saw a ton of fresh sign most days.
6) Saw multiple instances of trucks full of people going north moments after BP drove by.
7) Saw multiple “light” signals at dusk.
8) Had a group walk through our camp one night. Thankfully it was uneventful.
9) Attitudes in the area are starting to revert back to how they used to be in regard to ways to make easy money and blatantly defy law enforcement at all levels.

But we had a great hunt. Our group almost completely tagged out; all solid bucks. Plenty of shot opportunities each day in the 80s-90s range for Coues but two in our group held out for some monster bucks we glassed up. All of the deer we harvested had a lot of fat on them.

While we didn’t look for mule deer, we did see some while glassing. Those we saw looked to be in good shape as well.

Tons of water so deer have options on where to get a drink. No need for them to hit established tanks in some areas.

Saw significantly worse behavior and attitudes from hunters and those helping them than in years past. Lots of good folk out there but it sucks when other hunters purposely sit next to you while glassing (literally a few feet and yards), purposely try to aggressively pass you on a two track to get to a primo spot, purposely attempt to blow out deer so you’ll leave and they could have the spot, purposely follow you to a spot to see where you’re hunting (brazen and not stealthy), purposely set up shop 50 yards from you, etc.

Lots of vegetation, thick and tall, from this summer’s monsoon. Great for the animals for food and cover.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Absolutely insane and late monsoon season this year. Great year to hunt in AZ if you have experience with the terrain and vegetation.

ghenson82

FNG
Lots of vegetation, thick and tall, from this summer’s monsoon. Great for the animals for food and cover.
Absolutely insane and late monsoon season this year. Great year to hunt in AZ if you have experience with the terrain and vegetation.
Whats the water report for the center of the state? Can they get a drink anywhere they want or are they funneling into the big ponds/tanks?

Whats the water report for the center of the state? Can they get a drink anywhere they want or are they funneling into the big ponds/tanks?
This year we had one of our wettest monsoons ever. Most, if not all, water sources should have water. There's more water sources than stock tanks and water catchments; this is something that lots of folks overlook (myself included more than once).

Depending on where you are, do expect taller and thicker vegetation compared to previous years. This can pose additional challenges but also can provide some additional opportunities.

I'd glass from some elevation and look for traffic. Look to see where they are coming from: food, water, bedding area. Then look to see where they are going to. Same thing: food, water, bedding area. At a minimum look for a pattern to their behavior but also look for possible stalk options if an opportunity presents itself.

Love AZ hunting. Have the deer started pre-rutting yet?
Not had an opportunity since Thanksgiving to be out glassing; wife has been keeping me on a short leash the past couple of weeks. According to her, I've been spending way too much time in the field between my own hunts and helping others.

BBob

WKR
Love AZ hunting. Have the deer started pre-rutting yet?
Smaller Coues deer bucks in some areas have been out sniffing and prowling the last couple of days. Haven't seen signs of any big boys, they're probably still chilling and resting up for the fun to come.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
It just rained here again last night. It’s drizzling now. Dumped a good amount of rain a few night ago as well. The ground at my property is still damp.

Water is everywhere after the rains we got this summer. Even some of the normally dried up creek beds still have some standing water.

I’d reccomend getting up higher which is the opposite of how I normally hunt here to be honest. With how tall the vegetation is its harder still hunting the washes and bumping deer that way.

The desert here is as green as I’ve seen it. The deer stand out a bit more compared to their normal contrast so get up and get to glassing.

BBob

WKR
When’s considered the peak of rut there?
It moves year to year and can vary from north to south in the state. I've had Coues deer not rut until almost end of January and on the flip side start hard end ish of December. Generally January falls in the middle. Rut lasts ~6 weeks with ups and downs during. You have to get out and glass and check in with your buddies to really know when it's on in your area. One unit can be hot and another not, no rhyme or reason that I know of.

The deer are use to all the illegals so if you smell like ciggies and bud lite the deer won’t care. Some deer in the area even live tortillas. No joke.