Arizona Archery OTC December Rut?

ghenson82

FNG
I'm trying to do my homework before I get my boots on the ground in Arizona, and I'll probably scout this spring/summer. My only window to make a multi-day OTC archery hunt this year is December 19-24th based on my coaching/school calendar. What part of the state will the rut be active during that time? It sounds like they are rutting in late November and early December in the far northern units, and rutting late January along the southern border. So does that mean the areas parallel to Flagstaff and Kingman will be hot? Or further south like Phoenix?

Thanks for any help guys.

Beendare

WKR
I've hunted that late season the last couple years. Rut timing is a little weird as it seems to vary a little bit yr to yr.

We hunt about the week of Dec 15th- for convenience not so much for best rut timing. Last year the mules and Coues were just starting in that time period. I watched one Coues buck chasing a doe all over one hillside on about the 18th....but then other bucks could care less.

The big mule deer bucks were just starting to hang with does. Your dates are as good as any IMO. The hunting is usually better starting January....but if you can't do it then who cares?

________

Sadler

WKR
When I lived in southern Arizona the rut always seemed to fire up around January 10-15th time frame. I don’t remember much rut activity in December. This is for mike deer, I never had the chance to chase Coues.

OP
ghenson82

ghenson82

FNG
Gracias guys. I'm looking at the units available in December for the 2019-2020 regulations, and so far I like 8, 10, 17B, 19B, 20B, 20C area units. I think any further south would be too early for any rutting. But havent read much further than that on the AZFD site.

bowuntr

WKR
I live in 19b... you might see some rutting activity in the northern units you listed on those dates. I can always find rutting mule deer the first week of the December season but I'd say the last week of December and the first week January being much better. Regardless... go when you can and you'll find bucks to hunt. Ed F

OP
ghenson82

ghenson82

FNG
So I think 8 has too many roads & hunters for me. How is the hunting pressure in 17B? Anybody hunted in there?

cmbbulldog

Lil-Rokslider
When I lived in AZ, seemed after Christmas they got going... we’re going real good that first week in January and died down some by Mid Jan.

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
So I think 8 has too many roads & hunters for me. How is the hunting pressure in 17B? Anybody hunted in there?

Most units have as many roads as unit 8. Its just the way AZ is. Even in those units the rut wont really kick in until the 20th or later.