Arizona CC hits coming Friday...

Now, it's just downright laughable at the ineptitude of the AZGFD. We are nearly 3 weeks out from the original CC update date and coming up on one week out from the extended CC update.

Something is seriously screwed up. They have no paper applications to go through, so this should not be taking that long. Everything is on a computer.

Unpopular opinion, but as an Arizonan, I'm all in favor of moving to a system like New Mexico and other states.

Pay prior to the draw. No points. No more point creep. Randomized draw across the board. Waiting periods after successful draws.

There's no perfect solution. But the current systems in most western states does not provide an advantage to the average hunter. They're very successful revenue generating operations which have only been bolstered by the likes of GoHunt, YouTube and such. Not that more money is a bad thing. The conservation and wildlife management aspect of hunting funds tends to get overlooked too often in my opinion.

Selfishly, I'd rather have a system that doesn't all but eliminate the opportunity for non-resident and new hunters to get into some of the best units in western states. For example, there isn't enough lifetime left in me to even consider trying to hunt Muleys in Paunsaugunt.

Tangental rant over. We now resume our regularly scheduled coverage of impatiently waiting for AZGFD.
I mean this in the best way possible but I do not think you realize how good you have it. AZ has one of the best draw systems of any state IMO. It really is a good balance of rewarding max point holders and also giving other people a chance to draw a tag. I've lived in three states with three different draw systems. AZ, ID(which has a complete lottery system and no points), and WA (Bonus Point System). The other states sure don't have a balance like AZ does.

The draw being late is one thing. Mistakes happen.
Lying about why it’s late and then refusing to give any information on it is another.
If they had just put out a simple statement explaining what was going on even in very general terms, they wouldn’t be getting so much grief

Something like (I’m making up the reason):

“we had problems with our server, which triggered a mandatory audit of the system. Due to the 170k apps, this is a time consuming process. We can assure you that there is no evidence applicant data has been compromised, and the draw will commence as soon as possible. At this time we do not anticipate delaying the mailing of tags on 4/2. Also, due to the longer than expected period between card updates and charges, we will ensure that any payment complications are resolved fairly”

MtGomer

WKR
If they had just put out a simple statement explaining what was going on even in very general terms, they wouldn’t be getting so much grief

Something like (I’m making up the reason):

“we had problems with our server, which triggered a mandatory audit of the system. Due to the 170k apps, this is a time consuming process. We can assure you that there is no evidence applicant data has been compromised, and the draw will commence as soon as possible. At this time we do not anticipate delaying the mailing of tags on 4/2. Also, due to the longer than expected period between card updates and charges, we will ensure that any payment complications are resolved fairly”
They should fire their PR person and hire you.

This is how I look at things right now. Either they hit card today or tomorrow or they will be doing a 3rd credit card update/manually calling members who cards are declined. I called it days ago. Pitiful at this point and I guarantee it’s the last time they outsource the draw system to the third party they did so with. I’m betting they are second guessing the whole new portal system as a whole right now.

swNEhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Did the current AZ situation change anybody's application strategy in New Mexico? I wonder if some tags in NM will be easier to draw or harder because of the unknown results in AZ.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
Did the current AZ situation change anybody's application strategy in New Mexico? I wonder if some tags in NM will be easier to draw or harder because of the unknown results in AZ.

I never let AZ get in the way of applying in NM but many I know generally do try to wait for AZ results. That said they all went ahead and applied in NM anyway.

I didn’t apply for 2nd archery in NM since I don’t have my AZ results yet and the dates overlap

Last edited:

swNEhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I never let AZ get in the way of applying in NM but many I know generally do try to wait for AZ results. That said they all went ahead and applied in NM anyway.
I agree in that it probably didn't stop many people from applying, but I was curious if it made people shift their choices to harder to draw units being that they are hoping to draw an AZ tag.

Lack of AZ results didn't really affect my app in NM. The odds of me drawing both isn't great, though I have a lifetime hunting license in AZ with 5 points and put in for late rifle. Hoping to draw AZ but expecting to be disappointed.

warrbuk

WKR
I have a good shot at my AZ Elk second choice. If I get lucky and draw AZ and a New Mexico archery elk tag I will use my point guard.

The odds are against drawing both.
Hell one may be tough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackdirt Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats to y’all who get hit. With my meager points and swing for the fences application strategy, hell will have frozen over if my card gets hit.