Arizona Coues deer outfitter

#3 for Dwayne Adams. Probably take more 100”+ coues in AZ than anyone. Give him a call, (520) 385-4995, he’s super helpful and friendly; won’t steer you wrong. Start listening to the Jay Scott Outdoors podcast too, great resource for Good AZ guides and has featured most that have been mentioned in this thread.

Figure out what units you can guarantee as a NR with the amount of points you will have. No sense in planning an outfitted hunt for something you will have 5% draw odds for. That will narrow your unit pool down. Then pick a guide that knows the unit you want to hunt. Ground Pounders are out of Payson and specialize in the units in that part of the state (3 NR points wont be enough to guarantee you most hunts in that zone but your random odds may be ok for a couple of the seasons). GP do kill big deer each year. Alternatively, If I was hunting down by the border I would start with somebody else. Interview the actual guide you will be hunting with and not just the main outfitter. Ask to see their hunt photos from your unit/hunt over the last 1-3 years. Get references and call them. If you are hunting early season (October or November) make sure you understand what your guide will be doing for scouting ahead of time. Set those expectations.

You can draw virtually any Coues deer unit in Arizona with zero points or very few points. To be honest, Coues is pretty much a guaranteed tag. I've drawn every year the past 9 years, including all of the central units (Payson/Phoenix areas). Drawing a Coues tag is the easy part.

Picking an outfitter who isn't just going to run you through the mill on a quickie 4-5 day hunt, with anywhere from 4 to 6 other hunters in camp competing with you, isn't so easy.

My advice is to find an outfitter who can offer you an entire season to yourself (7-11 days of trophy hunting) at a reasonable price, follow that outfitter's advice on which units to apply for, and make sure that you'll be the only hunter in camp with said outfitter, the length of the entire season.

PM me is you have questions .....

I don't know that you do. Are you being sarcastic or serious? I know that points are sold and since I will likely only be hunting these once in my life, I didn't want the draw to be a potential limitation in hunting location or in any other way. Even if not needed, the cost of the points for a few years in advance planning was not a material factor for me to not acquire them.
Some units 3 points dont guarantee a tag for coues deer

I'm obviously learning, so happy to hear any advice or experience you have. Is the type of terrain decision mostly about what level of exertion/comfort I want, or is there also a correlation between terrain and the likelihood of success? I would like a giant deer of course, but I'm more interested in the experience and success on a decent/representative animal.
If your interested in good experience i suggest stay away from the early hunts the heat can be brutal and keep the bucks bedded all day, unless you hire a good outfitter that pattern bucks already then it would be best to get first crack at them before they get pushed around

Sorry I can’t help you out with an Outfitter but I’ll be interested to see how your hunt goes. I really want to do deer hunt in AZ, preferably with a bow. I’m from PA, but was hiking/scouting in Scottsdale area last February. We did run into some coues deer but The terrain is so different from the PA/Ohio whitetail woods I don’t know how I would ever seal the deal. Definitely make sure you have good glass! Good luck 👍
Archery hunting coues deer spot and stalk style is almost impossible unless you sit water and hope one shows up but with the new trail cam ban it hard to know what water source the might be using.

I would only look at at a reputable guide that doesn’t use flat brimmed ‘posse style’ finders……I would recommend one of the best AZ Coues guides over the last 30 years; Duwane Adams. (520) 385-4995
i agree duwane adams is one of the best in arizona

You can draw virtually any Coues deer unit in Arizona with zero points or very few points. To be honest, Coues is pretty much a guaranteed tag. I've drawn every year the past 9 years, including all of the central units (Payson/Phoenix areas). Drawing a Coues tag is the easy part.

Picking an outfitter who isn't just going to run you through the mill on a quickie 4-5 day hunt, with anywhere from 4 to 6 other hunters in camp competing with you, isn't so easy.

My advice is to find an outfitter who can offer you an entire season to yourself (7-11 days of trophy hunting) at a reasonable price, follow that outfitter's advice on which units to apply for, and make sure that you'll be the only hunter in camp with said outfitter, the length of the entire season.

PM me is you have questions .....
Not guaranteed anymore its been three years that i haven't draw as a resident and thats with me choosing southern units

Not guaranteed anymore its been three years that i haven't draw as a resident and thats with me choosing southern units
As a nonresident myself, I guess that I might possibly know something that you don't (maybe?). I've drawn November/December hunts every year the past 7 years and not in the southern units.

BBob

WKR
As a nonresident myself, I guess that I might possibly know something that you don't (maybe?). I've drawn November/December hunts every year the past 7 years and not in the southern units.
You may have but it is becoming common for people to not draw a tag at all even when applying for some of the lesser November hunts in many units now. Very few 100% draw hunts anymore. You used to not have to pay much attention to odds but if you want to guaranty to draw a tag every year you should probably have a strategy to do so. That also might mean you need to make one or more of your choices in a unit that's not your preferred if you want to hunt. ^^^ He (couesfreak23) may be stuck on one or two units and can't draw. Not uncommon down here.

Correct, strategy does help when it comes to getting drawn for deer and elk in Arizona. No argument there. I was merely saying that a person can consistently draw deer tags, sometimes even without bonus points. Strategy (unit selection and order of choices) plays a big part in that.

I mean its not a secret the draw application numbers from previous year are always posted thats how online sites like gohunt post there draw odds but these are odds and don't not guaranteed a tag . But no need to get upset im just pointing out what I'm seeing as a resident and knows what's happening in my home state.

I mean its not a secret the draw application numbers from previous year are always posted thats how online sites like gohunt post there draw odds but these are odds and don't not guaranteed a tag . But no need to get upset im just pointing out what I'm seeing as a resident and knows what's happening in my home state.
I'm not upset. Was merely clarifying the fact that a person can consistently draw deer tags in Arizona. I've been hunting in Arizona the past 47 years. The permit draw allocation system is pretty easy to navigate.

Malcolm31

FNG
For Coues deer hunting, I highly recommend checking out Ward’s Outfitters. Steve Ward was an awesome outfitter and guide. I killed an incredible 100 plus inch Coues buck and we had an awesome time. I will get back out there to hunt with Steve again….

If you haven’t checked out shadow valley outfitters I definitely would. Went on a December hunt with them last year and loved the experience.

IDShane

WKR
Did you ever end up doing this hunt? If so how who did you go with and how did it work out?

Is Duwane Adams still guiding I thought that I read somewhere that he retired can anyone answer this?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Did you ever end up doing this hunt? If so how who did you go with and how did it work out?

Is Duwane Adams still guiding I thought that I read somewhere that he retired can anyone answer this?
Duane was in some steep legal trouble over Lacey Act crimes, I believe his family may still guide.