Arizona coues down

I moved to Arizona about 10 years ago from Michigan. I love the relaxation of mid west hunting and what it does for my soul. I only archery hunt, so it took me a few years to learn the way of the west and put a coues buck down. My first one was 6 years ago and he was about as small of a spike as you could get. Since then I started chasing mule deer every year because they're something "different" for a michigander. I harvested 2 mule deer in the last 2 years, so for 2019 I set out to harvest a mature coues. I have several areas to go, but I wanted to somewhat get back to my Michigan roots and leave the binos and tripod at home. I found a thick area that met all my desires. I scouted this area every weekend in December and came up with a game plan. Once 2019 rolled around, my tag was valid and my bow was dialed in. I had an opportunity to get away from work for a few days, so I packed my gear and headed into the mountains. When I arrived to my area I set up camp and had a few hours of daylight to hunt. I crept into the area I'd been scouting and immediately had deer within 20 yards. I passed a small buck just before dark which gave me high hopes for the days to come. The following day I had 16 more deer come within 50 yards with a few of those being smaller bucks. Each one tested my patients as any of them would be bigger than any I had already harvested. Day 3 came and it was just as good as the previous 2 days. Eventually a respectable (in my eyes) 7 point came through pushing a doe and I couldn't take it any longer. After he finished raking a tree, he offered me a 20 yard broadside shot that I couldn't pass up. My arrow flew true and I was able to see him go down about 50 yards away. After soaking the experience in, I quartered him up, broke down camp and headed for the quad. I couldn't be happier with this deer. The experience and journey were great, my only complaint is that I don't have the opportunity to do it again until next January. Until then, I'll enjoy the meat much more than those gamey mule deer. IMG_20190111_163751_005.jpg

OP
Muckamuck4
Thanks guys. I have to give a thanks to all the members on this site. I have learned a wealth of information over the years regarding backpack hunting. I surely wouldn't have had as enjoyable of a hunt if it wasn't for the members of Rokslide. I also drew a Gould's tag this year...so come May i'll be back to the same general area trying to get my first AZ turkey down.

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
Well done! I'm in Tucson too and like you I've been wanting to get back into the woods as opposed to behind the glass. Not that I don't enjoy it, I just miss the sights and sounds of the woods. Like a couple guys have mentioned already, taking a coues deer with a bow is not easy task. They've handed me mine this hunting season. Were you in a tree or in a ground blind?

OP
Muckamuck4
Hi Dan,
I'm not sure if it's just because I was raised in the woods or not, but I whole heartedly enjoy it over glassing a hill side. I prefer the hill sides when I'm helping others...I get to be lazy and stay on the hillside for the whole day. The good news is you have a few days left in January along with Sept and December. I guess it will be a year filled with more fishing than hunting for me. I was in a cheap blind I just bought. I may buy a taller one for next year that'll accommodate a recurve, we'll see.

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
Cool shoot me a PM if you find one you like. I think I'm going to get up on wither Mt Wrightston or higher on Mt Lemmon this fall and I'm looking around for a decent ground blind and possibly a saddle system to get up in a tree. I figure I'll give that a try.

OP
Muckamuck4
Will do. Both of those areas have potential, but they both have ups and downs too. I've never tried a saddle system, if you go that route i'd be curious of your thoughts. I've primarily sat tree stands in the past, but clearly AZ isn't the most conducive to that.

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
No that it is not. It's hard enough finding a decent spot to set up a trail cam most of the time. If I go that route I might do it in the next few months and take advantage of the offseason to get used to it. I'm used to tree stands too but on public land I don't want to haul it in just to have it stolen.