Arizona could use some help/advice for youth small game hunt

Jakeemt

FNG
Hey Arizonans. My young son is saving this year for his first rifle a 22. He’s been hunting with me for 3 season now for squirrels, ducks, pigs, and deer. I am going to plan a fun out of state adventure for him in Arizona next December or January. I am hoping to get some advice on some of the best cottontail and squirrel areas. I am planning to truck camp and I am hoping to start teaching him the basics of glassing and long range shooting on some fun small game. Also planning purchase some points for later and maybe get out learning about glassing for cous an evening or two( not mandatory though and I am not trying to move in on your deer spot at all). Would you guys be willing to share some public land area for me that would be good for something like this? Thanks!

BBob

WKR
To start I wouldn't say a goal of trying to combine rabbit, squirrel and Coues in one area is the best plan. One location for all three together or relatively close together will make it harder. In general any of the forest above the rim https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogollon_Rim would be my bet for squirrels but any of the sky islands below the rim will hold them as well. Desert country will hold very huntable cottontails and Coues although areas above the rim will as well, I'd just lean towards south below the rim for those two.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Anywhere along the Colorado river in the spring is a gold mine for cottontail.

Unit twenty two or twenty three would be my choice. You can go from pines ( squirrels) to desert really easy. Lots of coues, muleys and elk. Rabbits can be easily found off the beeline highway or around Roosevelt lake.

South of Tucson...lots of rabbits look for the orange glow of the ears when the sun is coming up. Lots of illegals though.