Arizona desert bighorn

Steve759

FNG
Hi. I think I might have gotten lucky. Today I saw that my credit card was recently hit with an $1800 charge and I was like WTH? It was a charge from AZ Game & Fish. I logged into the state website and it says I was drawn for a desert bighorn permit. I'm a nonresident and had 8 points going into the draw. goHUNT showed draw odds never being better than 0.20% for a nonresident, so I figured I'd never sniff a tag. I only applied for sheep because I already had the nonresident license and have been focusing on trying to draw a good elk or mule deer tag. I've never done a hunt like this before. I live in Dallas, TX and my local friends have zero appreciation for anything like this. I feel like I won the Powerball. Now I need a plan and need to get in shape. I'm hoping to learn a lot from this site. Can't believe I'm going sheep hunting!!!

Buckshotaz

Lil-Rokslider
The AZ Game and Fish portal is showing what unit you were drawn for. Let us know what unit you drew

Congrats man and thanks for the reminder to go check mine. No dice but as you said basically impossible. Hope you do well!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
What unit? Our Desert bighorn society puts on an AWESOME sheep clinic every year before the hunt. The guys that go to that banquet either have a tag or really, really want to go on someone's hunt and help them. Most of the guys are seasoned vets and will help you in any way they can. I personally do not think you need a guide for ANY Az sheep tag. They are relatively easy to locate.

OP
Steve759

Steve759

FNG
What unit? Our Desert bighorn society puts on an AWESOME sheep clinic every year before the hunt. The guys that go to that banquet either have a tag or really, really want to go on someone's hunt and help them. Most of the guys are seasoned vets and will help you in any way they can. I personally do not think you need a guide for ANY Az sheep tag. They are relatively easy to locate.

That sounds interesting. I drew the early hunt in the 12B East unit (11/20 - 12/10). There were 2 resident and 1 nonresident permits. Do you know where I can get information on the clinic?

Nevermind....I found the website. Looks like they haven't set a date for the 2020 clinic yet. I'll keep an eye on it.

Weston

Lil-Rokslider
First of all congrats on the tag, one of my buddy’s Zach doster just did a podcast on that hunt. Look up kings of the southwest podcast it’s episode 3 I think....

I wish I could help you more...but I’ve never sheep hunted there. Shoot me a message as the season approaches if I’m not guiding or busy with my real job and you want an extra set of eyes I wouldn’t mind tagging along!

BuzzH

WKR
Do you know where I can get information on the clinic?

Nevermind....I found the website. Looks like they haven't set a date for the 2020 clinic yet. I'll keep an eye on it.

The only regret I have about the desert tag I drew in AZ is not attending the clinic. I got bogged down at work and couldn't make it.

Northpark

WKR
Awesome! I drew a NV deer tag like that this year. Had like .12% odds. Anyways what’s the dates?

Hi. I think I might have gotten lucky. Today I saw that my credit card was recently hit with an $1800 charge and I was like WTH? It was a charge from AZ Game & Fish. I logged into the state website and it says I was drawn for a desert bighorn permit. I'm a nonresident and had 8 points going into the draw. goHUNT showed draw odds never being better than 0.20% for a nonresident, so I figured I'd never sniff a tag. I only applied for sheep because I already had the nonresident license and have been focusing on trying to draw a good elk or mule deer tag. I've never done a hunt like this before. I live in Dallas, TX and my local friends have zero appreciation for anything like this. I feel like I won the Powerball. Now I need a plan and need to get in shape. I'm hoping to learn a lot from this site. Can't believe I'm going sheep hunting!!!

Congrats, should be the hunt of a lifetime!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You “think” you got lucky....remember that when you are writing up your grand slam article for slam quest and realizing you didn’t have to pay 90k for a desert sheep.

LightFoot

WKR
That's awesome.

I totally understand about your TX friends. I am in Houston and my "hunting friends" only get excited over new deer leases and sometimes exotics. None of them hunt western states.

Can't wait to see your success in the field.

>>>----JAKE----->