Arizona elk guides for a newbie

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
So I’m looking into my very first elk hunt and would like some advice/direction on outfitters. I’m looking at a 2022 or 2023 timeline. I decided on Arizona because of the November archery hunts and the availability of tags for it. I don’t get laid off from work every fall until late October and the chances of me skipping out in September for a week are slim to none. If I did I wouldn’t have a job when I returned. I’ve heard good things about Wards outfitters and Schultz outfitters but i definitely need more options to choose from. Other states apply to this search as well but from what I’ve read Arizona is my best option. Aaaand go! Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forest

WKR
I assume you don't have any points right now?? Late archery is about your only chance of drawing that soon anyways. Other than new mexico since they have no points. I think there are a couple new late archery hunts in NM now too.
I only know a few outfitters in nm/az and I'm not sure how much late archery stuff they do. But send me a pm if wanted ill share a couple guys that I think are legit

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

OP
ThisIsMyHandle

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
No I have no points. Should I start applying now or can I wait?

Get a subscription to Toprut, or goHunt. You can also research draw odds, success rates, area descriptions directly on the AZ wildlife site. There are some late archery hunts with reasonable draw odds available but these hunts are very tough-very few elk and low success. As you have already figured out, you can significantly up your odds by going with a reputable outfitter.

You might consider this new outfitter buy in deal, I think its called zero hunt fees?? (zero guide fees) worth checking out, its for non residents only.

trevvamos

Lil-Rokslider
Honest opinion, those late archery hunts are a waste of time and money. Not saying you can’t be successful, but elk have been pressured through early archery, muzzy and rifle season.

flyingbrass

Lil-Rokslider
I have 13 points for elk and 14 for deer and still have not drawn. If I could get a refund I'd gladly take it. It will take over 100 years for everyone ahead of me to draw before I get a good tag. I'm serious.

BBob

WKR
No I have no points. Should I start applying now or can I wait?

You can buy a preference point for each species every draw that ultimately counts towards the draw if you don't want to actually enter the draw. Elk and Antelope draw deadline is second Tuesday in February, the 9th I believe.

If you have hunter ed that'll count as an additional point. I have no idea if they accept out of state hunter ed. I believe AZ is doing online classes now due to covid. You should check on that.

Odds for non-res with 3 points range from 5 to 45% depending on the quality of unit and numbers of elk for late archery bull elk.

Last edited:

NoWiser

WKR
You should probably not get your hopes up too much. Even late archery is experiencing point creep in AZ. Better have a backup plan for the better part of the next decade. Get your Hunter Ed point, too.

Maverick1

WKR
I have 13 points for elk and 14 for deer and still have not drawn. If I could get a refund I'd gladly take it. It will take over 100 years for everyone ahead of me to draw before I get a good tag. I'm serious.
Some people draw with fewer points, such as 5. Unlikely, but it happens.

Start applying ASAP. Luckily I have much better odds being an AZ resident. I’d recommend taking an AZ Hunter Ed class for the extra point every year. You also get an extra point after applying for 5 consecutive years. So, you can have an automatic 2 points going into the draw every year, plus add the point for the year you are applying, which would give you at least three points every year going in.

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
You must have high standards for a good tag. Even in the NR pool I think I could find some tags id be really happy with for those points. There are a few units where you’re hopelessly behind the point creep curve though.

BBob

WKR
You must have high standards for a good tag. Even in the NR pool I think I could find some tags id be really happy with for those points. There are a few units where you’re hopelessly behind the point creep curve though.
Yep, max points for the strip is something like 23 and for a non-res holding max it's still horrible odds (4-5% ish?) but they still draw. I haven't looked lately but non-res elk Units 9, 10, 1, 3A/3C probably suck really bad too.

OP
ThisIsMyHandle

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
Well right now my back up plan to hunt AZ is the otc mule deer December/January season. I’m hoping to go next January so I can return the following December if I don’t kill. I contacted Chasn the king outfitters. He(like you guys here) told me to start applying and buying points with this upcoming draw cycle. But honestly if I have to back down on a November archery hunt and make it a rifle hunt(because draw odds and difficulty of hunt), I might as well just go to Idaho or another otc mountain state.

Beendare

WKR
Lots of good ones.

Travis Maclendon and James Fleming...both top notch Adn the key is they both do a lot of pre scouting.

James is on Instagram best hunter/ guide Ive ever seen or worked with....Travis is in that category too....though Ive only just met him.

Well right now my back up plan to hunt AZ is the otc mule deer December/January season. I’m hoping to go next January so I can return the following December if I don’t kill. I contacted Chasn the king outfitters. He(like you guys here) told me to start applying and buying points with this upcoming draw cycle. But honestly if I have to back down on a November archery hunt and make it a rifle hunt(because draw odds and difficulty of hunt), I might as well just go to Idaho or another otc mountain state.

Plenty of good options if you want to do an outfitter in the OTC Rut muley hunts for AZ. Big Chino a good one. That hunts becoming a rodeo with all the pressure though.

Brooks

WKR
Start applying for points now and find another state to research elk hunting, don’t count on hunting AZ unless you get very lucky. I have 18 non res points and been putting in for a long time and never have drawn a tag. I should have drawn a good tag about 5 or 6 years ago but AZ changed the draw up and it knocked guys with points backwards probably 10 years.

A3 outfitters. Ask for Jed Larsen he guides the governor tags each year for elk. He's a beast. PM for info

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk