Arizona Elk

DocD5150

FNG
Currently in Idaho and moving to Phoenix. I’ve heard of some big elk up in Flagstaff, but does anyone have any general info on the best successful areas to get into elk? Sure, don’t give away your exact spots. But maybe a little guidance in the right direction? I cant hunt until after 12 months anyways, unless I dish out for the nonresident fees.

Anozira

WKR
Depends on your point situation and how lucky you get with the draw. There are big elk in a lot of the state- some areas tend to hold more than others. It just depends on how quickly you want to hunt? Premium units can take years to draw. Other units you can draw almost every other year but don't tend to hold "big" elk unless you get lucky. The type of hunt you want can make a different also. Are you looking for an early archery hunt during the rut or a late rifle hunt near the end of the season?

TacoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome to AZ. Everything elk related in AZ is on the point system, It depends on the hunt you are looking for. The primo early rifle and archery tags take a boatload of points, some of the cow hunts can be drawn every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smarpin

FNG
I’ve got buddies thatbhint 6a and day the tags are easy to come by, and the elk are good, just not as plentiful

Every AZ elk tag is a good tag! If you do late rifle (it’s easier to draw) but make sure to put in for glassable units and not the flat ones

Ripalip7

FNG
I agree with Jbenz63. Not all draw units are the same. You need to do some research on the units before applying. Some other states could have some better otc options for you compared to a draw unit in AZ.

wapitibob

WKR
Spend the few $$ on Toprut and look at the individual point pool totals for the hunt units (click the "more" link next to each unit). You'll see what you can draw and when, as well as the rate at which residents move thru the system vs non res.

Thomas11

WKR
I’ll take any AZ elk tag I can get! With the exception of a few really limited opp hunts and their OTC tags

Str8shot

FNG
Drawing any elk tag will be the hardest part of your hunt. If you do your homework and put in an honest effort there’s no reason why you can’t successfully.

You can’t go wrong with hunting elk in Arizona. They have good numbers and great bulls and cows all around. Like others say do your tea search about the lay of the land before putting in your apps. You need good vantage points and if you wanna hunt during the rut it’s gonna be a little tougher getting drawn for that than getting drawn for a rifle tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk