Arizona Hunting

DocD5150

FNG
Howdy all. I am currently in Idaho. Born and raised. I will be moving to Phoenix, AZ soon. Pretty excited for some of the Veteran benefits in hunting after I've been there for 12 months. So I've seen and heard all about the Elk back up towards Flagstaff. Otherwise, given my location there, what are some of the best hunting opportunities there? Javelina, deer, big putty tats, elk and so forth? I certainly appreciate any info.

Just about 1 hour in any direction from The Valley will get you into deer and javelina country. Welcome to the best state! ;)

Michael54

WKR
Just about 1 hour in any direction from The Valley will get you into deer and javelina country. Welcome to the best state! ;)
Lol my main deer stand is 100 yards from my back porch. Although i have always wanted to hunt arizona 😁

Catchfish

WKR
I lived in flagstaff for a few years and loved it but the best part for me was chasing quail and being introduced to pointing dogs. There can also be pretty good duck hunting as well.

BuzzH

WKR
I put Arizona near the top in how they manage their wildlife resources and the opportunity they provide.

As has been mentioned, quail and dove hunting is pretty darn good. I haven't done a lot of it, but the times I have, its been very good.

Considering the number of hunters, they also provide pretty decent opportunity for big-game in particular deer and elk.

Apply smartly and you can hunt javelina and deer every year, elk every few.

R_burg

WKR
I put Arizona near the top in how they manage their wildlife resources and the opportunity they provide.

As has been mentioned, quail and dove hunting is pretty darn good. I haven't done a lot of it, but the times I have, its been very good.

Considering the number of hunters, they also provide pretty decent opportunity for big-game in particular deer and elk.

Apply smartly and you can hunt javelina and deer every year, elk every few.
Haha apply "smartly" should definitely be stressed here. If you want to apply for opportunity you can, if you want to apply for world class elk or muley you can, but not both.

We aren't an opportunity state like MT, ID, etc. But AZGF does a great job with the resources we have.

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
Agree completely with how well AZGFD manages the state. Seriously consider getting into quail hunting and getting a pointer. You can even hunt wild pheasant down in Yuma. Dove hunting has to be the best in the country. Deer and javelina tags can easily be had every year, and when you learn what you're doing, harvesting deer and javelina can be done every year. Elk can be had every other year if you want cow tags, pronghorn can be had every year if you want to hunt does in Wyoming🤣🤣🤣

BuzzH

WKR
Haha apply "smartly" should definitely be stressed here. If you want to apply for opportunity you can, if you want to apply for world class elk or muley you can, but not both.

We aren't an opportunity state like MT, ID, etc. But AZGF does a great job with the resources we have.

I've drawn 4 rifle bull elk tags in AZ since 2008 in easier to draw areas, hunted 3 and donated one to hunt of a lifetime.

Maybe the elk hunting on these easier to draw tags wasn't "world class"...but it didn't suck either. On 2 of the 3 hunts I saw bulls over 350, shot one on my first tag, came close on my second tag. Still not sure what spooked that second bull into an adjacent unit? I killed one of the other bulls he was with, 320 type bull.

Anyway...the bulls I've shot on the sub-par, less than "world class" tags.

IMG_1427.JPG

P1240774.JPG

AZ_Elk%20056.jpg

R_burg

WKR
I've drawn 4 rifle bull elk tags in AZ since 2008 in easier to draw areas, hunted 3 and donated one to hunt of a lifetime.

Maybe the elk hunting on these easier to draw tags wasn't "world class"...but it didn't suck either. On 2 of the 3 hunts I saw bulls over 350, shot one on my first tag, came close on my second tag. Still not sure what spooked that second bull into an adjacent unit? I killed one of the other bulls he was with, 320 type bull.

Anyway...the bulls I've shot on the sub-par, less than "world class" tags.

IMG_1427.JPG

P1240774.JPG

AZ_Elk%20056.jpg

You can come at me all you want, and be snarky as hell - but I was making a point in relation to states that are pure opportunity states, which AZ is not. And AZ strictly manages numerous units for world class elk (and muleys). We all know that. That was the point I was making - its a fact. Not every state uses the management strategy AZ employs. People know AZ as the land of 400" bulls.

Also, point creep is real. I still havent drawn for Elk in my adopted home state, been applying since 2014 (when I relocated). And I am not holding out for 9, 10, 23, etc. I'm applying for archery rut hunts. The numbers are the numbers, we all get to see the draw odds now.

There are a lot of different strategies available to the AZ hunter depending on what class of animal and what type of hunt you want - but regardless, you arent hunting Elk every year unless you have a horseshoe up your ass. You cant even draw a cow tag every year anymore.

Last edited:

BuzzH

WKR
You can come at me all you want, and be snarky as hell - but I was making a point in relation to states that are pure opportunity states, which AZ is not. And AZ strictly manages numerous units for world class elk (and muleys). We all know that. That was the point I was making - its a fact. Not every state uses the management strategy AZ employs. People know AZ as the land of 400" bulls.

Also, point creep is real. I still havent drawn for Elk in my adopted home state, been applying since 2014 (when I relocated). And I am not holding out for 9, 10, 23, etc. I'm applying for archery rut hunts. The numbers are the numbers, we all get to see the draw odds now.

There are a lot of different strategies available to the AZ hunter depending on what class of animal and what type of hunt you want - but regardless, you arent hunting Elk every year unless you have a horseshoe up your ass. You cant even draw a cow tag every year anymore.

Show me where I said anything about hunting elk every year, don't believe you're reading correctly. I also never mentioned anything about "world class" anything in my OP either.

Argue all you want, you can have some very good hunts a lot more often if you don't chase early rifle rut tags. Most hunters that draw the early rifle rut tags don't shoot anything close to 400...fact.

"Apply smartly and you can hunt javelina and deer every year,elk every few.

3/9=3 years between rifle bull tags. I waited a few years too long to draw in 2008 and burned 2-3 more points than I needed to draw.

Arizona does a lot right and they do provide for as much "opportunity" as they can considering the number of people and the available resource.

I hear good things about applying smartly for sheep. Draw with 11 points sometimes if you don't pick the "world class units". Also drew my 3rd rifle bull tag the same year with only hunters ed and loyalty point, drew rifle elk the year prior as well for the same unit.

IMG_0966.JPG

R_burg

WKR
Show me where I said anything about hunting elk every year, don't believe you're reading correctly. I also never mentioned anything about "world class" anything in my OP either.

Argue all you want, you can have some very good hunts a lot more often if you don't chase early rifle rut tags. Most hunters that draw the early rifle rut tags don't shoot anything close to 400...fact.

"Apply smartly and you can hunt javelina and deer every year,elk every few.

3/9=3 years between rifle bull tags. I waited a few years too long to draw in 2008 and burned 2-3 more points than I needed to draw.

Arizona does a lot right and they do provide for as much "opportunity" as they can considering the number of people and the available resource.

I hear good things about applying smartly for sheep. Draw with 11 points sometimes if you don't pick the "world class units". Also drew my 3rd rifle bull tag the same year with only hunters ed and loyalty point, drew rifle elk the year prior as well for the same unit.

IMG_0966.JPG

Agreed - You never did mention world class in your OP. I was merely agreeing with your initial post in my response and leveraging it to mention that, although AZ is known for world class deer and elk, you definitely have to apply smartly, and you cant necessarily have your cake and eat it too - you wont be hunting those world class units if you want to hunt more often. *Comparatively* we are not an opportunity state.

You then replied and used "world class" in quotes numerous times, certainly implying (to me at least) that you were disagreeing and I was misleading the OP.

Anyway - at this point we are being pedantic. I think we are saying the same thing, I am just providing some additional context.

Sidenote: I agree with you regarding late season hunts. I have helped numerous friends on late season rifle hunts. Thats not the hunt I'm waiting for. We all want our own thing in the woods, and have our own goals. You can definitely take a large bull and its easier to draw. On a totally different topic, IMO AZ should be raising non resident fees. AZ's spread between resident and non resident isn't keeping up with other states.

fmyth

WKR
I've drawn AZ resident elk 1st season archery tags with zero points three years in a row. I apply in units with good success rates with the best odds of drawing. I do not put in for the well known trophy units. I use Gohunt.com to guide my application strategy.

2017 bull tag (successful hunt)
2018 cow tag (only saw bulls)
2019 bull tag (didn't make it back from WY hunt in time)

Great dove and quail hunting. Fishing in lakes or the Colorado River is fantastic. Lots to do in the state.

AZ8

WKR
Arizona is full of public land. 32 million acres available for you to enjoy! :)

No matter where you live in the state, you'll be close to any big game habitat. OTC deer throughout the state in select units will offer plenty of opportunity. Plus tons of small game and predator hunting.

With that said, one thing you'll have to adjust to is the warm weather deep into the hunting seasons. Its still in the mid to upper 80's in the lower units with many deer hunts going on. I don't enjoy hunting in the heat(August OTC for example). It's just not fun to me even tho I'm born and raised here. Up north, the weather is more favorable and enjoyable with lots of hunting....elk, deer, antelope..coyotes...etc.

Good luck!