Arizona late archery?

emmagator

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have experience hunting any of the late archery hunts? Obviously miss the rut, but still can hunt some big bulls in good units. Looks like some of these hunts can be had with 4-5 NR points, some less. I was contemplating starting to apply for these hunts next year, either draw or get a point if unsuccessful. Looking for info from guys who have hunted this late season.

Scoot

WKR
I thought about this option for quite a while. The bulls are bunched up in nasty places that are out of the way and where they can be left alone to recover from the rut and hunker down for the winter. Many will have broken antlers at that time. You can expect no bugling (very little at most), no chasing, and that calling will mostly be a waste of time. In short, most of the things that make me love elk hunting wouldn't apply. So, neither did I.

Sorry if that's not helpful and I definitely don't want to dissuade you if you're interested. But, that was how the process went for me. Some nice bulls get shot in those hunts, but not a ton. It's a tough hunt for sure.

Very tough hunt. Bulls are in their sanctuaries and do not plan to come out. Glassing them up and the spot n stalk is always an option but in some of these places where the bulls are at it can be very difficult. Depending on moisture condition, if you can find water with elk activity around a lot of guys have success sitting water. But in the end it is an opportunity hunt, yes you’ll be hunting Arizona bulls so the trophy potential is there but would not suggest going into it with that expectation. Best of luck to whatever you choose on doing. 👍

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
It’s doable. They are really fun hunts, just have to go into it knowing that it’s going to be hard as hell and you probably won’t shoot one. Hunting with a buddy that can help out is big too. I think the year I killed mine the harvest report said the total killed was like 3 that year. Hard but fun. I’ll be going back at some point.

Glass a lot. Allow a lot of time for a stalk. Always assume they’re still where you left them. Take time to get a good pin marked where you think they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E

emmagator

Lil-Rokslider
I don't mind a tough hunt or coming home with a tag in my pocket. However, Id like to find elk and game plan to get on them. I'd shoot the first branched bull if the opportunity presented itself.

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
I don't mind a tough hunt or coming home with a tag in my pocket. However, Id like to find elk and game plan to get on them. I'd shoot the first branched bull if the opportunity presented itself.
I haven’t hunted that season, but probably will at some point as a second choice when I don’t have many points. I’d expect to glass up elk. Getting an archery shot, I don’t know…

Wheels

WKR
I assume weather can be fairly mild in most units during this hunt?
I haven’t been on a late hunt there, but from everything I’ve read, units 9 and 10 can be brutal during the late hunt, expect snow and cold weather.

OP
E

emmagator

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t been on a late hunt there, but from everything I’ve read, units 9 and 10 can be brutal during the late hunt, expect snow and cold weather.
Im going to shoot for the stars, but will probably end up drawing 22N. Looks like very high draw odds this year with 2NR pts

Late season can be tough. Rifle is obviously higher success rate. 22N not a bad start bulls move down off the rim after heavy snow fall

Russd

FNG
I’ve had some late archery elk tags. Tough to find. Cold cold mornings. Dry crunchy brush everywhere. I’ve harvested a few. Water, salt, and one time when they were pushed off the mountain due to snow.
skunked last year. had some come into water at last light but it was always too dark to have an accurate shot. Fun times tho. Two weeks with minimal hunters around.