Arizona late season

Beendare

WKR
It seems the cat is out of the bag on these late OTC deer hunts in AZ and NM....
tag sales up 45% since 2014 in Az.

Late season opens on about the 13th or so in Az. I'm paying a trespass fee in Southern Az again with some buddies.

I'm bringing my Recurve to stalk Javi's as thats about as much fun a guy can have with a bow [you have to have already applied for a tag]

I will probably use my compound in the blind on water...as I had to pass on a couple bucks last year due to long shots. Stalking in that noisy stuff with a stick bow on deer is probably above my pay grade these days....

anyone going?

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll be out but I won’t get to travel this year. Finishing up the police academy this week and a baby due any day will keep me close in northern Az. Seems that the otc bug has truly taken off here but there is plenty of room. Good luck on your hunt!

Werty

WKR
When you have tv hunters talking about it, you generally get more hunters. Good or bad

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
I’ll be out but I won’t get to travel this year. Finishing up the police academy this week and a baby due any day will keep me close in northern Az. Seems that the otc bug has truly taken off here but there is plenty of room. Good luck on your hunt!
And good luck to you on the Academy and your new family member!

I wonder how many Deer/Elk hit by cars you will have to dispatch there in Flagstaff in your career? Probably a lot.....

The wife and I drew javelina tags for southern Arizona and we always get the over the counter deer tags too. Still not sure which bow I’ll use, compound or recurve, might just switch back and forth between the two. It’s always a really fun hunt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Heres an update for those going to AZ;
Yesterday the 18th, Coues bucks chasing big time in the SE. Temps hit 24 deg while we were there....no doubt contributing to the onset of the rut.

The area we were in had mules and coues. The big mulies showed some rutting behavior...the little bucks not so much. Weird as we have always seen the mules go into rut sooner than coues.

One big Coues I was watching in my 15x Mae 3 laps of the hillside I was watching and would never stop long enough to make a stalk.

Javi's no problem...I'm surprised there is a Javi left with the way the herd charges back in when one is squealing.

5 guys=4 bucks....not too bad.....sorry I don't post dead animal pics on the internet anymore [new ones anyway]

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
Update from northern Az, found this buck solo close to last light and was able to seal the deal. Being by myself unfortunately I have no in field photos but I’m happy.

Attachments

• CC6F52BE-55B2-4EAC-93FB-7970F216D17A.jpeg
    CC6F52BE-55B2-4EAC-93FB-7970F216D17A.jpeg
    266.5 KB · Views: 40