Arizona Lifetime Bonus Point-Online Course Review

I recently took the “Ethically Hunting Arizona” online course for the lifetime bonus point in Arizona, non-resident, I do not think they differ from the resident version, but am not 100%. Here is the link to the page of information:

For those considering it here is what the course consists of.

Structure:
It is 10 units, each unit has varying topics, and finally each topic has a number of pages to review. For example unit one is two topics, topic one has eight pages.

Subjects:
The subjects covered are what you would typically cover in the course work part of any hunters education class. Safety while afield, ethics , wildlife conservation, etc. Some topics have a more Arizona centric view, such as field care issues (hint: heat is their number one concern), as well as how their fish and game management is structured and how jurisdiction is determined. All things I know you wanted to know.

Time Commitment:
The AZGFD says the course will take 10 hours. In reality it took me 1.5 hours (see how they do testing below).

Testing:
Each unit (and occasionally topic) consists of a test, typically no more than 10-12 questions, sometimes only 4-5, covering some of the lessons learned. You need to get an 80% or better on each one. They give you a "critique" which allows you to see which questions you got wrong, and what the correct response should have been. You repeat the test (if you got less than 80%), while the order of the questions changes, generally they do not introduce new information.

The final test is 50 questions, you will have two attempts to pass it with an 80% or better. I was able to pass on my first attempt, so I am not sure what happens if you do not pass in the first two attempts. I would assume you have to wait 24 hours or something, but not sure exactly.

As well I never had to retake any units test more than once, so not sure what happens if you fail more than twice on a unit specific test, but the fact that they essentially provide the answers, means that with some simple copy and paste during your "critique", you should be able to pass on the second try.

Cost:
The course is $300 dollars plus some convenience fees for the non-resident.

Impressions:
- Is this just another cash grab? Yeah basically.
- Did I learn anything new?...Well...no not really.
- Is a lifetime bonus point worth it in AZ? I will leave you to answer that, my answer is yes, I plan on hunting AZ periodically as long as health and time allow, so for me, worth it.
-This is not a difficult course, if your on the fence, its not a big time commitment (in reality) or especially difficult. The money does need to be considered, $300 is definitely not nothing (thats a non-res. spring bear tag in ID).

bsnedeker

WKR
I thought there was a field day requirement as well....no?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
houghton_hunter
So for this course no field day is required. As I understood it, that is because they wanted to free up space in the classes for youths. Also this course is for folks who basically already have a hunters education class in their respective state, as this course would not meet the hunters education requirement. So in order to hunt in AZ you need to have taken a course with a field day at some point, this course will just get you the bonus point.

j_volt

WKR
I took it as well. Like you said, it took about 1.5 hours, and I think it could be done faster if you just clicked to the end of each lesson to take the quiz.

If anyone is for sure they are going to take it, but you haven't yet, I would recommend taking it sooner than later. I very well could be wrong, but I am not convinced that the primary reason for this is to free up space for the youth hunters to take a field day. I think Arizona just needs more money at the moment (evidenced by the lottery for 6 tags that is currently going on) and I could see a world in which this closes without much warning. *removes tin foil hat*

In Washington COVID seemed to be the driver for getting rid of field days and proctored classes.

Scoot

WKR
This was 100% a cash grab. ...and... it'll work! I took the course too and I would say the OPs take on it and mine are almost identical. I think it took me more than 1.5 hours, but not a huge amount more. I learned a few little things, but really not much.

wingmaster

Lil-Rokslider
That sounds like a joke compared to the old requirements. If I was someone who invested time and money into the old class I'd be pretty ticked off.

Pro953

WKR
Has anyone actually seen the bonus point hit the portal? I just looked yesterday by chance and it still had not shown up. Was curious if this was just me screwing something up or if the wave of folks taking the text slowed things down. I think I did the test over a month ago now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
houghton_hunter
Has anyone actually seen the bonus point hit the portal? I just looked yesterday by chance and it still had not shown up. Was curious if this was just me screwing something up or if the wave of folks taking the text slowed things down. I think I did the test over a month ago now.

Mine has not shown up yet either, I am going to contact the folks at AZGFD and see what they say, will post an update.

svivian

WKR
So if everyone and their mother can go online and get the lifetime preference point, is there really a benefit anymore or now is it just something we all have to do to keep up? I have mine already that I took a while ago and it felt advantageous because it had to be done in person and I know a lot of people wouldn't.

Scoot

WKR
That sounds like a joke compared to the old requirements. If I was someone who invested time and money into the old class I'd be pretty ticked off.
My buddy who I'm applying to AZ did it the "real way" and actually went to AZ a few years ago and took the class. His expenses were travel, room and board, etc. and my expense was to pay the $300. He's not impressed! This money grab really just reduces the value of this point by making it a whole lot easier to get for the masses. If I went through the hassle/expense of getting this point in the past I would not be happy with this. I'm on the other end of it, but I'm still not very pleased with it. I planned to travel to AZ this winter and get the point. That would give us a leg up on the folks we're competing with for our desired tag. Instead, getting the point now doesn't really give us leg up- it just keeps us from falling behind (for the most part).

My buddy who I'm applying to AZ did it the "real way" and actually went to AZ a few years ago and took the class. His expenses were travel, room and board, etc. and my expense was to pay the $300. He's not impressed! This money grab really just reduces the value of this point by making it a whole lot easier to get for the masses. If I went through the hassle/expense of getting this point in the past I would not be happy with this. I'm on the other end of it, but I'm still not very pleased with it. I planned to travel to AZ this winter and get the point. That would give us a leg up on the folks we're competing with for our desired tag. Instead, getting the point now doesn't really give us leg up- it just keeps us from falling behind (for the most part).
Agree with this. I am lucky that I am just a few hours from AZ so it was pretty easy but I still had to put in the effort and stay a night down there to do the field day the day after the class. So it was a 2 day investment of time and then the travel expense. It is now just another point a large number of people will get and another way for AZ to get money. After the draw change a few years ago it is apparent AZ is good at screwing over hunters with their point system.

Their extra draw is another money grab and it will probably look like a good way to get some extra cash to other states too. We will see.

wingmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I feel the same way, I was monitoring their upcoming bonus point classes for two years now but it was essentially cancelled when COVID started. I was looking forward to the trip, but now it's something everyone is going to do with minimal effort. In fact, I recall the requirement that you had to have 3 years of hunting experience to take the course. Nixing that requirement shows this is just a money grab.

Pro953

WKR
The whole thing is a joke. Basically screws everyone out of 300.00 if they want a chance to draw. If you don’t pony up you are at a very strong disadvantage. I was actually looking forward to the excuse to fly to AZ for a long weekend and take the class. Now it’s just a one time application fee as far as I am concerned.

AZ8

WKR
My two cents: Since Covid, a lot of the classes have been eliminated. The ones left filled quickly. Many youths needing the HE class couldn’t get enrolled because they filled up fast. Lots of frustrated parents.

It’s a fact the adults fill up those classes more than you think. About 10 years ago, I accompanied my nephew. This class was full. There were roughly 30 people in the class. There were 6 youth hunters.

Money grab? Maybe. Does it free up limited classes post-Covid for youth hunters? Yes.

Pro953

WKR
I did not consider the youth element. But it seems they could eliminate that with different classes vs this mess. Make a youth only or resident hunter Ed class. And a bi monthly/quarterly field day open to anyone. Yes it would fill up quick as well, or reserve 50% of the class space for youth hunters ans release those spaces a week prior. Much more logical solutions than this one in my opinion.

Scoot

WKR
What AZ8 said is absolutely true. However, to believe that's the real impetus for this class is pretty naive IMO (not calling you that AZ8- I have no doubt about the accuracy of your post and not assuming what you believe).

If I remember right the very first module in the class was about money and about how the AZG&F needs to fund itself. I thought it was interesting they lead with that given suckers like us were paying $300 a pop to be educated about it.

wapitibob

WKR
My nr hunted Ed point cost me $1,000, worth every penny, and drew the next year. Debating on whether to draw again next year or wait.

Points are updated to the portal twice/year, no need to call, it’ll be there for the Feb draw.