Arizona Limited Opportunity

cjparry2

FNG
Listening to Randy Newberg on his various platforms, he mentions that "limited opportunity any elk" tags are not subject to the non-resident 10% cap. I tried to find information about this on the web and in the AZ reg books today, with no luck. I then called the Arizona Game and Fish department and they told me those tags are still subject to the 10% non-resident cap. I am probably misunderstanding Randy...although I did listen to his podcast and watch his YouTube video a few times to make sure I was understanding what he was saying. Does anyone know about this subject?

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
In the unit below, 38 of 150 tags went to non-residents in 2018. That is 25.33%. A slightly lower % in 2019, but still way over the 10% cap.

Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 7.38.30 PM.png

In the unit below, for 2019, 27 of the 150 tags went to non-residents. That is 18%. They all went on 1st and 2nd choice. In 2017, 18 of the 150 went to NR's, or 12%.

Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 7.34.23 PM.png

OP
C

cjparry2

FNG
Hi Randy, Thanks for your post. Totally enjoy your content!! Have enjoyed watching your latest YouTube episode on your winter AZ hunts. My son and I are headed to AZ on 2/15 to get our permeant hunter ed point :) Love how you share your knowledge. Thank you!!

So how do I find these units that don't have the 10% non resident cap? Do I look at the previous year stats and see if a unit had more tags go to non residents?

Thanks for all you do!

Curt

gburk

WKR
Related question, not just for Randy, what documentation provided by AZGFD includes the tag allocation between R and NR? or does GoHunt have an AZ mole. thanks.

gburk

WKR
Interesting. I'm curious what other reports are available- is there a list, or else how does one know what to ask for? Eg could an outfitter get a list of email and physical addresses for individuals applying for particular units with x or more points? How about hair and eye color of successful applicants vs unsuccessful applicants. I assume they have some policy to reject certain requests.

wapitibob

WKR
An FOIA request doesn't compel them to create a report, and they won't; been there and got shot down. So, if a report exists they will comply. I have been told they have a report designed for outfitters which would include the address but I haven't seen it and don't know the cost.

gburk

WKR
Thanks for sharing your experience Bob. Definitely sounds like some murky waters.

Just as an aside, the NR allocation can be above 10% for tags that aren't limited entry. Because AZ has lifetime hunting licenses, any past residents who bought a lifetime license are not subject to the 10% cap even though they're now nonresidents. So if you're ever looking through goHUNT and see a tag had slightly more than 10% allocation to NRs, it may be due to that.

Thomas11

WKR
All these are on the reg pages for elk/antelope draw. They r limited opp “any elk” that aren’t subject to 10% cap. The limited opp “bull tag” are still subject to 10% cap. But there are very few any “elk tags “ on the list so don’t get your hopes up and they r in less than desirable places and are there to keep population down or get rid of them totally in that area. I had one of these last yr and I didn’t see an elk for 8 days straight! Not a sign of one and I hunted my ass off! So I’m just sayin