Arizona Mule Deer unit 8 in Dec.

Ramsey445

FNG
Me and my Brother are heading to Arizona in December the week before Christmas. The unit we have been looking at is 7 south of Williams. Question is what does weather look like in that area that time of year? We are coming from Arkansas and I have never hunted mule deer before. If snow is on the ground does it affect the movement of the mule deer. From what I have read the rut should be starting around that time and look forward to getting in on some of that action. Thank you for any helpful info.

Paul B

Lil-Rokslider
It depends how much snow and how long it sticks around..

Weather can be decent or cold as hell. Check the weather forecast right before you come and even then prepare for worse weather.

Do as much e-scouting as you can so you give yourself options in the event things turn bad weather wise.

OP
R

Ramsey445

FNG
Weather can be decent or cold as hell. Check the weather forecast right before you come and even then prepare for worse weather.

Do as much e-scouting as you can so you give yourself options in the event things turn bad weather wise.
Thank you. I guess my question is if it does turn cold and there is snow on ground from your experience does it slow down movement of mule deer during rut? If so then we may start looking at some backup options farther south. Thanks

To say it is dry is an understatement right now. You need to be within a mile of water this year as that is where you will find the greatest amount of deer. Sitting water will likely be competitive to say the least just got to hope that everyone is being ethical. I can not stress this enough watch the rainfall/snowfall between now and when you leave and pray it stays dry. Water is the name of the game. If you are here when the rut kicks off and are glassing you are looking for does because if you find them bucks will be there. It has been dry and hot this year and will likely be for your hunt as well. Heat hurts the rut so hopefully it is just dry and cold for you all.

OP
R

Ramsey445

FNG
To say it is dry is an understatement right now. You need to be within a mile of water this year as that is where you will find the greatest amount of deer. Sitting water will likely be competitive to say the least just got to hope that everyone is being ethical. I can not stress this enough watch the rainfall/snowfall between now and when you leave and pray it stays dry. Water is the name of the game. If you are here when the rut kicks off and are glassing you are looking for does because if you find them bucks will be there. It has been dry and hot this year and will likely be for your hunt as well. Heat hurts the rut so hopefully it is just dry and cold for you all.
Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

dano626

FNG
Was up in the park just north of Williams last year on Christmas day. Snowed on our way up the road and there was snow was on the ground the whole time. Had a buck chasing a doe right outside of our cabin. He didnt care what was going on, he wanted that doe.....

AJPERALTA

FNG
Like everybody else says it’s been hot and dry. Have to hunt water sources. If weather does come in it will slow them down but if you’re around when it passes and clears up they will be even more active.

Might be busy on the loops but I guarantee if you get in the canyon or south of that bridge you'll have it to yourself. Cool place