Arizona Mule deer Vs. Idaho

Pwells10

WKR
Before I get roasted, I tried looking on the search tab lol. Buddy of mine talked me into going in January (he lives there) unfortunately for the week he can only be there 2-3 days. I'm solo the rest. Already have units scoped out so no need on that. Subtract one unit due to the recent fire.

Just curious on how archery hunting AZ compares to ID mule deer? Obviously terrain will be a huge difference.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

image000000(3).jpg

Are you an Idaho resident? Cause Idaho non resident is sold out. Arizona in January can be very fun but very difficult. Not a slam dunk but there’s potential.

OP
Pwells10

Pwells10

WKR
Are you an Idaho resident? Cause Idaho non resident is sold out. Arizona in January can be very fun but very difficult. Not a slam dunk but there’s potential.
Yes I'm a resident. I'm only wondering how AZ mule deer differ in habit from the local deer

S.Clancy

WKR
I would say mule deer hunting in AZ was more like spot and stalk archery antelope than mule deer hunting. Except harder.

S.Clancy

WKR
Yes I'm a resident. I'm only wondering how AZ mule deer differ in habit from the local deer
They occupy the lower desert habitat. Generally below 4000 ft, tho they can prob be higher in some places. The glassing is no joke, I've never sat behind glass like that before. It's very tough

OP
Pwells10

Pwells10

WKR
Awesome. Thank you. Should be a cool experience for me. Know what the temps are like in January?

rclouse79

WKR
The biggest mule deer buck I have ever laid eyes on was within an hour of Tucson in January, and second place wasn’t even close. I have hunted in Idaho for five years now.

Str8shot

FNG
Definitely some big bucks in the desert. However, there’s also a lot of traffic. You can also apply for a javelina tag and glass animals all day long but you better have some good glass and a tripod.

OP
Pwells10

Pwells10

WKR
Awesome thanks guys! How are they acting compared to Idaho muleys?