Arizona/NM Shed Hunting

This is my first post, I didn’t see a a place for shed hunting so I’m going to post this here as it is focused on elk sheds!

I’m 23 and a lifelong WY resident. I’m starting to try to broaden my horizons with solo out of state hunting. I’d really like to start by planning some Arizona or New Mexico shed hunting trips. I’ve looked at both states and have a few places marked on my maps to check out. I don’t want anyone’s exact locations, but if anyone could give me a general unit or area that seems to be plentiful I’d appreciate it! I don’t mind hiking a lot either. I just want to make my trips worth it as I’ll be shed hunting on limited time and since I live so far away from either state I won’t be able to do much scouting prior.

Thanks in advance! I’ve attached a picture from WY opener this past weekend :)
c2a899b985d7f06a0fea1350a95686aa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northpark

WKR
JUst like regular hunting I say pick a spot and go just go for it. And just like regular hunting folks aren’t keen on giving out their spots. Shed hunting is a source of income for some so I wouldn’t expect much help there. But heck it is a great way to explore new country and get used to going it alone.

mproberts

WKR
AZDGF publishes game population studies, you can also tell by tag allocations which areas are going to be more plentiful. Personally I'd concentrate on areas that are less open and glassable, you will probably have better luck stumbling onto sheds that others haven't found. As always going places others don't want to go will help, further in, harder terrain etc.

OP
H00LIGAN307
AZDGF publishes game population studies, you can also tell by tag allocations which areas are going to be more plentiful. Personally I'd concentrate on areas that are less open and glassable, you will probably have better luck stumbling onto sheds that others haven't found. As always going places others don't want to go will help, further in, harder terrain etc.

Thank you for the help! I’ve been scouring maps and marking places I want to check out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Webb11

FNG
Agree with the others. Here in NM most won't even give you a hint as to where to start looking. Just get out and hike.

Jardo

WKR
nice pic, but around here you may as well be asking if you can sleep with someone’s wife. i’d probably let you do that before i gave up my hunting area.

anyone giving you information on where to hunt or pick up sheds is likely telling you nothing or doing their best to get you to stay away from their honey hole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk