Arizona otc deer

Hey guys, I’m trying to plan my next seasons hunt, which would be my first western hunt, I applied for a Wyoming antelope tag. I work for the mlb and that makes it hard to get time off some times the hunt could fall either World Series/ off season camp time and I’m not sure if I’ll be able to get the time off.

The main point of my question is, how bad would an Arizona otc deer tag be for a first western hunt. I figured it would be closer to the climate in used to hunting in being from Florida but other than that I’m not sure. Any advice is very welcome

dtrkyman

WKR
It would be a great way to get into western hunting, have realistic expectations and enjoy the experience.

Finding deer generally not really hard, killing them with a bow is another monster all together.

Pressure has increased intensely in recent years!

I don’t like that hunt. The climate is nothing like Florida either. Too desert and dry, cactus and dirt everywhere. Poor success rates.

I’ve been all over the west and the high mountain areas are best, especially in summer. Many archery deer tags are easy to draw with no points in Utah, Colorado

Wyoming Antelope is ok as a high success rate hunt but not the same experience.

OP
N
I don’t like that hunt. The climate is nothing like Florida either. Too desert and dry, cactus and dirt everywhere. Poor success rates.

I’ve been all over the west and the high mountain areas are best, especially in summer. Many archery deer tags are easy to draw with no points in Utah, Colorado

Wyoming Antelope is ok as a high success rate hunt but not the same experience.
So you’d recommend something like elk for a first hunt? As far as species go?

So you’d recommend something like elk for a first hunt? As far as species go?
No, mule deer are great. Just not the OTC AZ hunt. As mentioned rifle antelope are about as high success rate hunt as it goes.

The western sage country is alright, but if you have never been in the Rocky Mountains in summer you are missing out!

There are many options to hunt mule deer in nicer areas, so if you don’t happen to tag out you still have a good experience.