Arizona Over the counter Mule deer

Whats up guys, I am going to be hunting in Arizona January 24-31. What units would I have the best luck in to kill a buck. Also, any tips on what to pack and be ready for would be helpful. This will be my first time going over the counter in arizona for Mule deer.

Thanks guys

jmav58

WKR
Use the Search Function underneath the Forums tab. Several threads on this topic.

rob86jeep

WKR
How do you have firm hunt dates but no unit figured out yet? I would assume you've done some research on where to hunt in AZ. Maybe if you provide a little background on what you've already figured out with some more specific questions then "what unit" it might help people to give accurate advice.

Usually the "what unit/area" to hunt accompanied with a Rokslide join date from yesterday and this being your first forum post don't go over very well...

bowuntr

WKR
How do you have firm hunt dates but no unit figured out yet? I would assume you've done some research on where to hunt in AZ. Maybe if you provide a little background on what you've already figured out with some more specific questions then "what unit" it might help people to give accurate advice.

Usually the "what unit/area" to hunt accompanied with a Rokslide join date from yesterday and this being your first forum post don't go over very well...

That's a helluva welcome greeting... Ed F

Get up high and glass. Jay scott and dwayne adams did a recent podcast on this very subject. Very informative.

rob86jeep

WKR
That's a helluva welcome greeting... Ed F
It's not meant to be a welcome greeting, it was a question and some advice. How can anybody answer such a vague question accurately and why would they when this person just joined and this is their first post? What they did is equivalent to walking into a hunting club out of the blue and asking all the patrons where to go to kill a buck with no further info and without introducing themselves. If it's not acceptable in real life, it's probably not acceptable on the internet.

rob86jeep

WKR
......according to you, rob86jeep? How about taking the high road and simply not answering if it bothers you. I’m sure Robby would agree.
I'm not sure why you have a problem with what I asked but it wasn't mean, just blunt and accurate. I asked that OP provide some better, more specific, information so they'll get a better answer and it would likely be perceived better on this forum. All of which is true. I'm sorry if I upset you with my response.

I am also headed to az for my first hunt this year. Good luck. Pack some cold weather clothes and a good set of binos with a tripod.

Looks like a bunch of dicks on here. If your hunting right after Christmas, stay north for rut. 18’s and around flagstaff. It’s pretty dang hard to stick a deer non rut unless your ready to sit on a water hole all day. So much weather we’ve had water is plentiful and wouldn’t recommend. Phoenix, south rut doesn’t get started until early to mid January. Get high and glass glass. Good luck!

jd30069

FNG
I am also headed to az for my first hunt this year. Good luck. Pack some cold weather clothes and a good set of binos with a tripod.
my son is interested in a big game rifle hunt, his first, an Az resident; i have never hunted Az, I am too old to accumulate enough points to pull that off a mule deer hunt in units 12 - 13. We are looking for a rifle mule deer hunt and trying to determine which unit to try to draw to. i know slim to none but going to do the application anyway.. we are looking at NW NEW Mexico also. i have been hunting elk for about 10 yr- but never in Az or NM. so not familiar with their lesser famous units. Any suggestions

Txhunter85

Lil-Rokslider
New Mexico is not an easy state for a non resident to draw-period.

I’d suggest getting a membership to GoHunt. I just pulled the trigger on that this week and man oh man does it make it a lot easier trying I figure out draw odds and a strategy. I did all the research myself last year for my first two backpack hunts and I wish I would have bought that membership. You can also look into Top rut.

Trial153

WKR
I think from a historical perspective states track records aren’t very good.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Rut is going in central Az. I saw 12 bucks this weekend and all of the bigger bucks had does. The rut has started and will only be getting better. The biggest buck bedded 10 times in 2 hours first thing in the am. I am assuming he was up all night with his 7 does.