Arizona Strip Adventure in 2005

jeffpg

WKR
I was recently asked to share the hunt story of the buck shown in my avatar. I figured that the best way to do so was to dig up the story I wrote and had published right after the hunt back in '05.

This tag came my way via a very unique situation when USO Outfitters had sued the western states for discrimination against non resident hunters. They actually won the suit against Arizona and there was a brief window of opportunity for some hunters to get lucky due to an increased tag allotment and less restrictions against non resident hunters if I remember correctly. I will never forget that a judge actually awarded a hunter a strip tag the year before I drew, stating that if he were not discriminated against as a non resident that he would have enough points to draw a tag! Of course, this judgement was soon overturned and things went back to normal.

As a lifelong resident of Mississippi, this would be my first ever mule deer hunt as well as my first western big game hunt of any kind. At the time, I was working a job where I had very limited vacation time to take off for the hunt, and I had also drawn my first Kansas whitetail tag that merited some days off work as well, so the scheduling was a challenge. With only 10 days of vacation time, my goal was to hopefully tag out in Arizona in 5 days, leaving 5 days for Kansas. If the hunt ran longer I would do whatever it took to make it happen and let the chips fall where they may. I was excited about Kansas whitetail but Arizona mule deer was my priority. I was also going through a divorce after a 20 year marriage AND recovering from the devastations of Hurricane Katrina, so there was a lot going on but I was coming to a point in life where I had decided to go all in to make some dreams come true if I could, and let go of some things that I couldn't control. As luck would have it, I scored on the big muley on the 5th day of the hunt and went on to have a fantastic time in Kansas with good success there.

I soon thereafter began a new career that would not only afford me a work schedule that would allow me to take multiple hunting vacations each year but would also take me on travels around the world. I ended up working for 4 years in Africa and went on safari after safari there to my hearts content. I am based in the good ole USA now but I still enjoy a work schedule with ample free time for adventure.

I hope you guys enjoy the story of my Arizona Adventure. I'm pretty sure I was still riding the wave of excitement when I wrote it 16 years ago. I am now 60 years old and much more experienced and laid back in my approach to the hunt, but I fondly remember the magic of hunting the Arizona Strip!

Attachments

• Jeff Graves Story.pdf
    803.4 KB · Views: 252

stickbuck

FNG
Wow! What an incredible buck and amazing hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigolmuley

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty awesome. And it kills me to read the story again!
I myself benefited from the USO lawsuit. I pulled a 13A tag as well with 1 point as a NR.
My guide showed me video of your buck and said this is the one we hold out for. I passed a mid 190 buck 1st day. Halfway through the hunt we heard you had killed him! Oh I was devastated. But I got over it. Good for you guys. What an incredible buck.
I killed on the 2nd to last day. No giant,but a solid strip buck.
I pulled a 12AW champ tag this year (was paralyzed when a steel pole went through my brain) so I get to hunt the Kaibab this September.
Congrats again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
jeffpg

jeffpg

WKR
That’s very interesting Bigolmuley!

I wish we could go back in time & do it again!
I would like to hear more about who you are, where you are from, & who your guide was, etc.

I’m very sorry to hear about your accident but glad that you’re still hunting. I hope you have a epic hunt on the Kaibab.

Greenhorn

FNG
Oddly enough I met both of you down there on that hunt. Best part of the run-in was with Jeff - Hey I think we're hunting the same buck? Jeff then says, No I'm just hunting for a place to take a shit! :D

You got a great one. I saw him the night before season and couldn't' find him again. I spent the last 4 days looking for him, unaware that he was already dead.

I also camped one night with Big Ol muley and your guide Brady, Ryan and his hunter. All the folks I met on that hunt were great people. I hunted to the end and did not shoot one.