Arizona turkey unit 4a

BearBow77

FNG
Hello all,

Got drawn Spring turkey 2020 unit 4A/4B, but was going to hunt 4a mostly since Ive been in that area. My hunt is for most of the month of May ( 1-21st) . I had hoped for Early hunt late April but didnt get it. Ive hunted the area before, late this year ( 2019 ) for OTC bow spring. Heard one gobbler, but no visual sighting nor did I see any poults or hens. At the time, it was late in the hunt, and I figured the Hens were on the nest and the gobblers were finding their bachelor groups again.
I did see see quite a bit of Elk sign in that area ( Rim Road 300 to the power lines ) but no deer sign at all.
With that all said, Ive researched the internet for best areas to approach. But info is very limited. I also called the AZFGD and tried to speak to one of their biologists but to no avail. My question is, since Im new to turkey hunting, is there something Im missing as in gathering intel?
My current plan is this, during the month of April I intend to scout as much as I can. Sadly I only have weekends available for this endeavor. My goal is to find open meadows with surrounding tree lines and hopefully watering holes. I intended to remain quiet and do a lot of sitting and glassing as I would for elk or deer. I wasnt going to shock call, as im only guessing that would be too early for a response?
Ive read every turkey " how to book " from amazon available. Ive studied "how to's " from you tube and been practicing all of my calls, from diaphragm, box and slate. I have even gotten pretty good with the Primos snuff tube. I also plan on using a shotgun. I was going to use Winchester SXP 12 gauge with #6 shot high base turkey load. My plan includes rim road 300 to the powerlines were I saw the most turkey sign.
Is there anything else I might be missing from anyone who may be more experienced in the turkey world?

Any and all suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks!

The more scouting you can do by truck or foot the more you will be ahead on opening morning. Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

codym

WKR
Cover a shit ton of ground at last light and very first light in the morning with a crow or some other shock gobble call. They will be 3/4 the way up steep ridges on the roost. Mountain birds move a ton so that just a starting point. I’ve only killed a few birds off the roost on dozens and dozens of setups. Look for obvious turkey sign tracks dusting bowls scat etc.