Arizona Unit 20A

rubio52

FNG
Have you hunted it before?
Ive hunted the unit right about that unit,19a, plenty of times. 20a as decent ones but dont expect big ones. But if you are not there you will never know ,so basically what I am saying is to give it a hell of a time. I plan on scouting as much as I can since that unit is new to me also.

jmp300wsm

FNG
Lots of deer in 20A. Stay away from big bug mesa. Hunt mount Union and Spruce mountain No roads but there are deer.

Lots of deer in 20A. Stay away from big bug mesa. Hunt mount Union and Spruce mountain No roads but there are deer.

There are a lot of deer in 20A, that's for sure. Some really great bucks in there too, but they're typically in habitat that doesn't seem favorable for deer so a lot of guys don't realize that there's 30+ inch bucks in that unit.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Thanks for the tip. There does appear to be a few roads in those areas. I'm really totally new to hunting this kind of country. I've hunting the Oregon desert but AZ is on another level.

rubio52

FNG
Took a scouting trip this past week. Went up high into the pine around spruce mountain and seen alot of does but no bucks. Decided to come down in elevation into the desert portion near Mayer. Not too far from Big bug mesa, great camping areas.Did not see anything but it was already 10am and getting warm. Will be doing a few more scouting trips to different areas in the near future.

Took a scouting trip this past week. Went up high into the pine around spruce mountain and seen alot of does but no bucks. Decided to come down in elevation into the desert portion near Mayer. Not too far from Big bug mesa, great camping areas.Did not see anything but it was already 10am and getting warm. Will be doing a few more scouting trips to different areas in the near future.

You have your work cutout for you. Some truly big bucks in that unit, though. My guide was in there scouting around a few times these past few weeks. He has a bowhunter booked that might be interested in that unit, later this winter. There are some damn big bucks in that unit.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I guess the question is do I beat the brush or glass a lot, go low in the desert or up higher? I was planning on doing some hiking for sure.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
In that unit (20) it will depend entirely on how much scouting you do and where you do your scouting.
Too far for me to drive and go scouting. It sucks but with gas prices and 2+ days round trip driving it just isn't possible. I'm not going to be too picky knowing that I won't have that ability.

Too far for me to drive and go scouting .... I'm not going to be too picky knowing that I won't have that ability.

There's plenty of yearling forked-horns in that unit. Look for does. Those forkies are always with the does and does are easy to find.

rubio52

FNG
Too far for me to drive and go scouting. It sucks but with gas prices and 2+ days round trip driving it just isn't possible. I'm not going to be too picky knowing that I won't have that ability.
If you happen to see a Kodiak wall tent that will be my group,stop by and say hello.

rubio52

FNG
Will do. I've got one of those tents too. I'll probably be sleeping in a cot tent.
We are getting lots of rain. Should be fat and bigger racks for this season. We have not had this type of monsoon rain in many years.

We are getting lots of rain. Should be fat and bigger racks for this season. We have not had this type of monsoon rain in many years.

According to my hunting guide who lives down there in Arizona and the Arizona Game & Fish Dept, summer rains don't influence antler growth among Arizona's deer. Just sayin' ......