Arizona Unit 20A

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
We are getting lots of rain. Should be fat and bigger racks for this season. We have not had this type of monsoon rain in many years.
That's great. Here in Oregon we had more rain in April, May, and June then I ever remember seeing in 41 years.

rubio52

FNG
Went up there this past Saturday . Saw a few bucks in velvet which was cool to see. This time we went up there and used our quads to travel more ground. Will be scouting atleast one more time hopefully two more times. We were able to mark 3 areas to camp at that we liked.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Is it worth going down by the Cellar and Horse Fires? It looks pretty barren but I like to get away from roads and it appears there aren't many in the area.

Is it worth going down by the Cellar and Horse Fires? It looks pretty barren but I like to get away from roads and it appears there aren't many in the area.

My outfitter down there loves hunting those fresh burns, for a lot of reasons. When I say "fresh" burn, I'm talking an area of whatever size, huge or not, that burned within the past few months. In his opinion, the larger the area the better.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
My outfitter down there loves hunting those fresh burns, for a lot of reasons. When I say "fresh" burn, I'm talking an area of whatever size, huge or not, that burned within the past few months. In his opinion, the larger the area the better.
Right, these are a year or 2 old.

Yeah, I never said "too old". No such thing as "too old".
Fine.

Couple of years with average or below monsoon can delay any recovery from a fire.

One to two years of well above average monsoon can seriously change the dynamic. Depending on where you are at and the vegetation type, going from ash to waist high or taller vegetation in a year is nothing.

But this is just my personal observation while hunting, scouting, and camping throughout the majority of the state.

Fine.

Couple of years with average or below monsoon can delay any recovery from a fire.

One to two years of well above average monsoon can seriously change the dynamic. Depending on where you are at and the vegetation type, going from ash to waist high or taller vegetation in a year is nothing.

But this is just my personal observation while hunting, scouting, and camping throughout the majority of the state.

Your observations are the same as mine. Agreed.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Fine.

What do you all think of Cellars Basin areas and getting away from the roads in the 2019/2020 burns?

What do you all think of Cellars Basin areas and getting away from the roads in the 2019/2020 burns?
Not been up there so cannot speak specifically on how it is as this moment in time.

For areas that I have visited this year (as late as a couple of days ago) that were burnt to a crisp in 2020 and others places in 2021, think lunar landscaper after the fires, the vegetation is thick as hell and taller than I am.

Here is an example. This stuff is taller than I am and the bears made a "tunnel" through it. This time last year there was zero vegetation (excluding burnt trees) on the ground; was nothing but grey ash.

Attachments

• Veg01.jpg
    Veg01.jpg
    651.9 KB · Views: 63
OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Not been up there so cannot speak specifically on how it is as this moment in time.

For areas that I have visited this year (as late as a couple of days ago) that were burnt to a crisp in 2020 and others places in 2021, think lunar landscaper after the fires, the vegetation is thick as hell and taller than I am.

Here is an example. This stuff is taller than I am and the bears made a "tunnel" through it. This time last year there was zero vegetation (excluding burnt trees) on the ground; was nothing but grey ash.
Got it. Coming from Oregon that doesn't look too bad. . . but Oregon's pretty bad in places. I guess I'll just have to see once I get boots on the ground.

Got it. Coming from Oregon that doesn't look too bad. . . but Oregon's pretty bad in places. I guess I'll just have to see once I get boots on the ground.
More to show the rapid transformation from literal ash to to over-head height in about 15 months thanks to two above average monsoon seasons.

rubio52

FNG
We have had more than usual monsoon rain this year. Snow up in the high mountains after last nights rainstorm.