Arizona Unit 20A

Benjblt

WKR
I think I may have just drawn Arizona Unit 20A for mule deer in late October. I'm kind of discouraged and think I may have just wasted my money. . . It sounds like its a lot tougher hunt than I thought and may not be worth my time. Any thoughts? Should I ditch the tag? I bought Point Guard but I only had 1 point. I live and hunt in Oregon, have limited time and maybe have an extra week to hunt that I could spend on Arizona. . but I could just hunt General Deer in Oregon and kill a buck easier. . and save money on gas. Any advise at all from someone that has knowledge would be helpful.

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
What were your expectations when you put in for it? That will determine if you should keep it and hunt or turn it back in. If you point guard it you don't get your money back

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
What were your expectations when you put in for it? That will determine if you should keep it and hunt or turn it back in. If you point guard it you don't get your money back
For sure. My expectation would be that I'd go for a 5-7 days and see 4 or 5 bucks. No expectations of big bucks but the chance at something pushing 160. The story I heard from my buddy, who is twice the hunter I am, is that he hunted in a unit adjacent and they saw almost nothing at all. That's what I don't want to happen. Especially with the time commitment and fuel costs.

For sure. My expectation would be that I'd go for a 5-7 days and see 4 or 5 bucks. No expectations of big bucks but the chance at something pushing 160. The story I heard from my buddy, who is twice the hunter I am, is that he hunted in a unit adjacent and they saw almost nothing at all. That's what I don't want to happen. Especially with the time commitment and fuel costs.
When did your friend hunt that unit? What was the moisture like that year? What terrain did he hunt?

Lots of options for that unit.

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
The hunt success in 2021 was 38%. I feel like you'll see more than a couple bucks. Now one that is 160 I don't know. I'd bet money you can find a 140. There was a decent fire in there this year but moisture has started early in az.

I think you hunt it. Tags in every state are getting harder to get every year. Go hunt

Turkeyfreak12

Lil-Rokslider
If it makes you feel better I was in that unit working yesterday and saw three deer. I wasnt trying to find them either. They are there it just takes some work like all units. I'd say go for it and enjoy the hunt.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
If you can not find 4-5 bucks in 5-7 days in 20A, you are in the wrong spot or terrible at glassing. Now like bohntr eluded to, finding a 160" is gonna be a tall task. I am not saying they are not in there, but they are not plentiful. I am not sure that you could apply for any unit in the state and assume you will find a 160" buck without some scouting or luck.

1uglydude

FNG
If you're willing to hike, you can get into some gnarly country adjacent to some of the burns (most of the unit has burned over the past six years). I hunted 20A for archery in 2017 and 2018, and then with a rifle in 2019. I felt really good about the unit, but I spent a lot of time on the youth javelina hunt in there in January 2021 and was really surprised at how few deer I saw. Granted, I was in one corner of the unit, but it sure seemed like something was up.

A 160" buck would be pretty hard to scratch out of there, but it could be done. Keep in mind that it is still quite hot in that country in October, but you'll have the benefit of a dark moon.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Well I appreciate the encouragement. I think you all have me talked into it. Would you recommend getting away from roads? I'm 41 and still in good hiking shape but I don't like to beat myself up if everyone else is riding quads and what not. I've been in that situation a time or two.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Then there's this guy on the Eastman's forum, "Crowded and a Zoo . Don't waste your time . I wouldn't and I Live here.................BOB!"

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Then there's this guy on the Eastman's forum, "Crowded and a Zoo . Don't waste your time . I wouldn't and I Live here.................BOB!"
Any hunt is what you make of it. I live here and hunt the 20's quite a bit OTC archery. I have taken a couple that are in the 140-150 range over the last 3 years. 20A is HUGE with lots of great, thick terrain. If you go on Big Bug mesa, expect to see 50% of the other tag holders up there. Very easy to escape pressure in 20A. Do not let 1 lazy SOB sway you if you do not mind putting in a little effort. You may need to hike over a hill or 2, you may need to wade thru thick oak scrub patches. It's hunting and nothing is a sure thing.

PS. If that is NatureBob telling you not to waste your time, he is a 60 something year old alcoholic that isn't capable of hiking. I certainly would not let him dictate my future.

Last edited:
To the OP:

I'd hunt it. No reason to turn the tag back in, because you're not gaining anything by doing so. Units 19 and 20 have some really good bucks - over 160 inches - but you have to know where to look, because it isn't like going up to 12B and waiting for a 200 incher to lay tracks in the mud. If I were you, I'd utilize the tag and go deer hunting.

Myk

UZJ100

FNG
I would do it, i live adjacent to that unit and have family that live in the mountains up there, almost always see deer on their property. Yes part of it burned this year but we are getting rain this year already. I am a novice but let me know if you need any help.

McCrapper

Lil-Rokslider
Always go and hunt, the more time in the woods the better your odds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen plenty of deer in that unit. Hell, if I got drawn for that hunt and unit I'd be on it like a duck on a June bug. I say hunt it and have fun.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Any hunt is what you make of it. I live here and hunt the 20's quite a bit OTC archery. I have taken a couple that are in the 140-150 range over the last 3 years. 20A is HUGE with lots of great, thick terrain. If you go on Big Bug mesa, expect to see 50% of the other tag holders up there. Very easy to escape pressure in 20A. Do not let 1 lazy SOB sway you if you do not mind putting in a little effort. You may need to hike over a hill or 2, you may need to wade thru thick oak scrub patches. It's hunting and nothing is a sure thing.

PS. If that is NatureBob telling you not to waste your time, he is a 60 something year old alcoholic that isn't capable of hiking. I certainly would not let him dictate my future.
Ha. It was NatureBob. I guess I've got to figure out where putting in the effort is going to pay off. I plan on giving the unit a shot.