Arizona Unit 23 Oct-Nov Mule Deer Rifle - Where did they all go...

rjsiii

FNG
This is my first time ever hunting. I got drawn for Unit 23 Oct-Nov rifle Mule Deer. I have researched about as much as humanly possible online to learn. I have a few friends that let me pick their brains. Looking for some other insights.

Since being drawn I have been out glassing about 5 times in different spots. Unfortunately, I have not seen but a 2 spike muley bucks. I am mainly in the northern portion of the unit and would like to stay there. Any advice on where/how to look to find more would be much appreciated. I am not getting discouraged as I am not looking for a giant but would like to have some sort of a productive first year. I have heard with all the heat, campers and low rain fall that they are pretty scarce/hidden/deep. Hoping someone here with knowledge of the unit can shed some more light.

I can say that the handful of times I have been out have been lesson learning and I have thoroughly enjoyed even the unfruitful outings. I have a 9 year old son that I am excited to get going in the lifestyle next year. It will be the best father son time! Thanks in advance.

Fatcamp

WKR
Are you glassing before the sun rises and after it falls? The first and last hour of light are by far the most productive for spotting game. Can mean the difference between seeing really nice bucks and squat.

AZ_J

FNG
I tend to usually have a hard time just seeing deer in the warmer weather hunts (August archery otc). I never see any big bucks and when I do see deer its usually the first hour after visible light and last 30 minutes. Cant tell you how many deer I've walked into after I have to use a flashlight to see where Im going.

Colder temps will get them moving around longer after sunup and sooner before sunset.

coues32

WKR
Keep at it! Its Still hot
but Az gf loves tag numbers and it shows 23 and 22 and gets hammered with better hunters every year.
Outlawing trapping didn't help especially in the higher elevation parts of those units, encourage people to shoot coyotes.
Get away from road / utv trails

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
Coues nailed it it has been hot so they are bedding early. Save all your scouting time for the week before the hunt

is your glass on a tripod? i think the biggest mistake we all make is going too fast and trying to look too far. Get to a high vantage point before sunrise, put your glass on a tripod, get comfortable, slow down and you'll find deer.

• Banned
OP
R

rjsiii

FNG
Thanks for all the insight. It helps.

@Fatcamp I have mainly been making it out in the last 2 hours before sunset. I will try sunrise next week.

@AZ_J @coues32 @Blackcats06 Makes sense the warm weather puts them down quicker. I'm new so I hadn't thought of that.

@Hatchet Jack Yeah, I am on a tripod with pretty good binos and spotting scope.

@coues32 I did see a pack of 4 coyotes one evening. I'll shoot them next time for target practice.

@Blackcats06 "Saving my scouting for the week before"... Do mule deer travel a lot? Is what I am doing now just practice then? Never hurts to learn the terrain but didn't know how far these guys traveled.

Thanks again everyone!

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the insight. It helps.

@Fatcamp I have mainly been making it out in the last 2 hours before sunset. I will try sunrise next week.

@AZ_J @coues32 @Blackcats06 Makes sense the warm weather puts them down quicker. I'm new so I hadn't thought of that.

@Hatchet Jack Yeah, I am on a tripod with pretty good binos and spotting scope.

@coues32 I did see a pack of 4 coyotes one evening. I'll shoot them next time for target practice.

@Blackcats06 "Saving my scouting for the week before"... Do mule deer travel a lot? Is what I am doing now just practice then? Never hurts to learn the terrain but didn't know how far these guys traveled.

Thanks again everyone!

They don’t migrate like say Colorado but their food sources can change and all the other hunts can move them a little. Most current info is always best. If you want to spend time in the unit months before spend learning where all the roads are,how long it takes to get to a spot. Where to camp. Etc.

OP
R

rjsiii

FNG
To give everyone an update. Thanks for all your input. I had a few buddies able to come out with me. I had sights on 3 different bucks. Was able to pull the trigger on 1 of them but the nerves got to me and I shot over his back both times. Still learning but I've caught the bug.

Again thanks for all the input before. I know this is a late reply.

Last edited:
OP
R

rjsiii

FNG
Muley. I meant to say bucks not bulls. Sorry to confuse.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
To give everyone an update. Thanks for all your input. I had a few buddies able to come out with me. I had sights on 3 different bulls. Was able to pull the trigger on 1 of them but the bull nerves got to me and I shot over his back both times. Still learning but I've caught the bug.

Again thanks for all the input before. I know this is a late reply.
Any hunt is a good hunt. I have eaten all my coues tags so far. I loved it all though.