Arizona Unit 27 or others for that matter

Bgoode11

FNG
Anyone here hunted this Unit in particular? Looking at a fall hunt and I’ll take any info possible.

RoJo

WKR
Yes, I have killed a bear in 27. How do you plan to hunt? Backpacking in or car camping? Spot/stalk or still hunting?

Most of the bears I have seen in 27 were just above or just below the rim. But that is probably because that is where I have hunted the most. Unit 27 has a good bear population. My bear was taken while still hunting an area that I knew held bears. Unfortunately, the biggest water source for that area, a dirt stock tank, washed out several years ago and was dry last I checked.

OP
Bgoode11

Bgoode11

FNG
Yes, I have killed a bear in 27. How do you plan to hunt? Backpacking in or car camping? Spot/stalk or still hunting?

Most of the bears I have seen in 27 were just above or just below the rim. But that is probably because that is where I have hunted the most. Unit 27 has a good bear population. My bear was taken while still hunting an area that I knew held bears. Unfortunately, the biggest water source for that area, a dirt stock tank, washed out several years ago and was dry last I checked.

I’ll be back packing in most likely. I will probably do a little of both types hunting wise. Ideally i’d like to camp not to far away from my vehicle if thats a possibility. I know zero about the area or where to even begin. I’d Congrats on your bear though!!

RoJo

WKR
Great, being able to pack into an area for a couple of days may be helpful. It has been a few years since I hunted 27, and I know large areas have burned since then, so I don't know how that may have affected the bears. But I would recommend sticking to the northern part of the unit, anywhere from Alpine down to a little below the rim. Look for some canyony country with good water sources and trails to get around on because the vegetation can be very thick, especially in areas that have not burned. But don't overlook burned areas because the raspberries can come back thick in burned areas, although berry season will be over by fall. Some areas that may be worth checking out (but much of which have burned since I hunted them last) are the Coyote Creek drainage southwest of Alpine, the area between Hannagan and the Blue River, the Blue Range Primitive Area, and the East Eagle Creek Drainage below the rim. There are many other areas worth hunting because bears are well distributed throughout 27. Good luck!

Last edited:

I'm headed to 27 this weekend from Michigan. Might buy a bear tag, but otherwise going to try to kill a mule deer. Been doing a ton of e-scouting, but that only gets me so far. Any advice on deer behavior/patterns this time of year?

Thanks!

Andy

WKR
Try to find ripe acorns. The acorns were dropping during my archery elk hunt in there and there were bears all over them. I was seeing a lot of bears on the acorns. I came back a month later after my rifle coues to find one when the season was open but they weren't in any of the spots that I found them in previously. All the acorn had dropped. I would find the food source that they are hitting and glass that area.

Try to find ripe acorns. The acorns were dropping during my archery elk hunt in there and there were bears all over them. I was seeing a lot of bears on the acorns. I came back a month later after my rifle coues to find one when the season was open but they weren't in any of the spots that I found them in previously. All the acorn had dropped. I would find the food source that they are hitting and glass that area.

Will do!

RoJo

WKR
I'm headed to 27 this weekend from Michigan. Might buy a bear tag, but otherwise going to try to kill a mule deer. Been doing a ton of e-scouting, but that only gets me so far. Any advice on deer behavior/patterns this time of year?

Thanks!

Andy

The way the weather has been, find water. This summer has been ridiculously hot and dry. And if you don't want to be hot, stay high.