Arizona Unit 27 / Tanks / Rut Activity

dtrkyman

WKR
Jclark I had basically the opposite experience as far as people, predominantly out of state and they were the ones being ignorant! The few locals I saw were friendly. I did see some sxs tracks back into a closed road and also some bike tracks in an area I am pretty sure they do not belong.

I have found a few bait/mineral sites over the years as well. Almost killed a nice whitetail last year one evening, after he moved off I stalked towards him to find he was on a mineral block when I first spotted him.

OP
Jclark225

Jclark225

FNG
Jclark I had basically the opposite experience as far as people, predominantly out of state and they were the ones being ignorant! The few locals I saw were friendly. I did see some sxs tracks back into a closed road and also some bike tracks in an area I am pretty sure they do not belong.

I have found a few bait/mineral sites over the years as well. Almost killed a nice whitetail last year one evening, after he moved off I stalked towards him to find he was on a mineral block when I first spotted him.
Yeah I try not to take the anti non res sentiments personally. I know it's usually the out-of-staters that make a mess of things and give the rest of us a bad name. Unfortunately some people are more inclined to take better care of their own back yards than someone else's. I hunt solo and just try to keep to myself.

My understanding of the regs in AZ are that water and salt are okay but things like molasses and "Buck Jam" or products like it are a no-go? Wasn't sure if I should report it or not. I just left the area and focused on spot and stalk a couple basins over thinking someone would be coming to sit the bait anytime.

Anyone got a rut activity update? We were out the 1-8 and seemed the rut was either just starting or basically over. Possibly coming back for a weekend before January is over

crosey5

FNG
Tried my luck in AZ on the OTC tag this year for the first time. Only got 3 days to hunt and was rained on most of the trip. Still had opportunity to put a stock on 1 coues. Also had a Coues buck stroll by me at 20 yds while I was sitting and glassing, bizarre. Of course didn't have my bow ready and never saw him again.

Grady

FNG
Had a decent hunt. Got into the deer every day seeing 15-20 animals each outing but boy was it crowded. Got some good stalks in but no ethical shot options.

Mine were the only nonresident plates I saw and locals were real pieces of work. Driving atvs and side by sides around locked gates, throwing trash out of their vehicles into the forest, using molasses on top of salt for bait, left a note on my car "Non Res GO HOME". Guy working at Walmart wouldn't sell me a tag saying nonresidents had to wait till Jan 1st to buy their tag.
Iv had good interactions on my few trips with locals and and non residents. We normally communicate plans and stay away from each other. Some ranchers where there's alot of private land around public will hang around but that's because they have had issues with the few bad apples hunter. I really enjoy hunting the state and want to keep it clean and nice so we can continue to hunt and have access.