Arizona Unit 6A - Late Archery Elk - First Elk Hunt

So, I drew my first elk tag this year, for AZ 6a late archery, Nov. 20-26th. Really was not expecting to draw an AZ tag for quite a few years, so I am beyond excited to have drawn this and experience my first time chasing elk!

I will be going DIY, as I am planning to hunt elk for many, many years into the future (currently 25 y/o) and am looking at this as more of a long term investment and learning experience, and won't be considering it a failed trip by any means coming home empty handed.

Looking to see if anybody is familiar with the unit and willing to give any general advice. Will be traveling from Michigan, so unfortunately will not be able to do any boots on the ground scouting and will be glued to OnX maps. Google Earth, and good ol' forums. I am certainly not looking for coordinates/honey holes, just general information or areas to possibly check out or focus on.

As of now, planning to focus on the major canyon systems throughout the unit and glass/spot n' stalk. I'm aware that they will be very rugged - but are they relatively accessible/navigable by foot? I've got no problem busting my ass if it means a chance at a bull...

Any and all advice welcome - thanks in advance!

Extrapale

WKR
F&G website has info for every unit. It is pretty accurate from what I have found. They also have an interactive map with some cool features.

I have been through there, but never hunted that unit. Ponderosa flats on top with canyon and rim type country to the South and West.

There are more elk in that unit than any other in AZ.

If you see bands of white or red rocks on GE, odds are that area is verticle rock bluffs.

Most bulls more than 2 years old will be hiding in secluded areas. The is a muzzy hunt with a bunch of tags right before your hunt.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

OP
MidwestMountaineer
F&G website has info for every unit. It is pretty accurate from what I have found. They also have an interactive map with some cool features.

I have been through there, but never hunted that unit. Ponderosa flats on top with canyon and rim type country to the South and West.

There are more elk in that unit than any other in AZ.

If you see bands of white or red rocks on GE, odds are that area is verticle rock bluffs.

Most bulls more than 2 years old will be hiding in secluded areas. The is a muzzy hunt with a bunch of tags right before your hunt.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Awesome, thanks man! I've been reading through and F&D Unit description and definitely some good information in there.

6a- Lots of elk, Lots of hunter and lots of areas that hold elk. It is a large unit that used to be split into 3 separate units. 6a north, 6a south and 6a west. Elk can be found pretty much anywhere in 6a. Late hunts can be tough as hell with a bow. I suggest water if it is a dry year. If it is a wet year, you will be relegated to glassing and spot and stalk. Good luck on your hunt.

OP
MidwestMountaineer
6a- Lots of elk, Lots of hunter and lots of areas that hold elk. It is a large unit that used to be split into 3 separate units. 6a north, 6a south and 6a west. Elk can be found pretty much anywhere in 6a. Late hunts can be tough as hell with a bow. I suggest water if it is a dry year. If it is a wet year, you will be relegated to glassing and spot and stalk. Good luck on your hunt.
Thank you for the suggestions, definitely expecting a difficult hunt but ready to bust my ass for a chance!

Paul B

Lil-Rokslider
It is hard not too find a bull in 6A. This unit has the highest elk concentration in the state. That being said the age class reflects the high number of tags in the unit. I would try for a 300 class bull, some will be bigger and alot in that 250-290 range. My gf killed her first bull in there last year on the muzzy hunt the week right before yours. Lots of good glassing and elk are basically anywhere in the unit. Good Luck

OP
MidwestMountaineer
It is hard not too find a bull in 6A. This unit has the highest elk concentration in the state. That being said the age class reflects the high number of tags in the unit. I would try for a 300 class bull, some will be bigger and alot in that 250-290 range. My gf killed her first bull in there last year on the muzzy hunt the week right before yours. Lots of good glassing and elk are basically anywhere in the unit. Good Luck
Thanks Paul! Definitely not too worried about size, just excited for the experience and hopefully a chance at a legal bull.

fmyth

WKR
My 6a hunt starts the day after your hunt ends. I live 2 hours from the unit and have hunted it twice before (took 1 bull) and camp there multiple times a year. I am planning a couple of scouting trips and at least one will be around Nov 15th. I'll share what I learn with you. PM me with your number and I will give you a call to discuss. It is possible that you'll encounter snow and or rains. Last year a couple guys lost their camps/trucks/campers etc because they made the mistake of camping in a low area. It rained hard one night and they woke up to find they were now camped in their RV's & trailers in a shallow lake. Then a few days later it started snowing and many hunters had a hell of a time getting back out to the highways. You should bring tire chains just in case. There is also a big difference in terrain between the N and S ends of 6A. If it snows I'll be hunting the South end near the junipers. If its mild out I'll be further north. I'd recommend that you invest in Onx AND a Flatline Map if you haven't already done so. If you have an ATV you can use it to retrieve game in this unit.

OP
MidwestMountaineer
My 6a hunt starts the day after your hunt ends. I live 2 hours from the unit and have hunted it twice before (took 1 bull) and camp there multiple times a year. I am planning a couple of scouting trips and at least one will be around Nov 15th. I'll share what I learn with you. PM me with your number and I will give you a call to discuss. It is possible that you'll encounter snow and or rains. Last year a couple guys lost their camps/trucks/campers etc because they made the mistake of camping in a low area. It rained hard one night and they woke up to find they were now camped in their RV's & trailers in a shallow lake. Then a few days later it started snowing and many hunters had a hell of a time getting back out to the highways. You should bring tire chains just in case. There is also a big difference in terrain between the N and S ends of 6A. If it snows I'll be hunting the South end near the junipers. If its mild out I'll be further north. I'd recommend that you invest in Onx AND a Flatline Map if you haven't already done so. If you have an ATV you can use it to retrieve game in this unit.

That would be awesome, thank you! Very good to know about the rain/snow situation. Haven't fully decided what the plan is for camping/lodging throughout the week yet but will be sure to keep that in mind. I've been using OnX and Google Earth to do my scouting, and will have everything downloaded on OnX while we are out there.

Also - I don't know if I have enough messages on here yet to send PM's lol. If you can shoot me a PM I'll get you my number and we can talk!

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
That would be awesome, thank you! Very good to know about the rain/snow situation. Haven't fully decided what the plan is for camping/lodging throughout the week yet but will be sure to keep that in mind. I've been using OnX and Google Earth to do my scouting, and will have everything downloaded on OnX while we are out there.

Also - I don't know if I have enough messages on here yet to send PM's lol. If you can shoot me a PM I'll get you my number and we can talk!

fmyth

WKR
I arrived at our camp on day 2 of the season with a WY bull and a cow in my freezer. On the first day located a water hole that had a lot of sign but no cameras and no hunters(miracle). Took my friend who has been elk hunting in az for many years and had never tagged out. At first light a herd came out to feed at 400 yards. Spotted a nice 6x6 and told him to shoot it. He missed. Took buddy # back to same spot that afternoon. Right at dark another herd came in and he shot a spike. Didnt see but one other cow the remainder of the hunt.