Arizona Unit 7 East Peaks

TexRed

FNG
My cousin and I drew this tag for Mid October rifle season. It will be both of our first elk hunts and I realize it will be a challenge. I have been working my butt off to get in shape both mentally and physically, hopefully he is doing the same.

Anyone out there that would be willing to shed a little light on what we are in for? Maybe some tips and suggestions on where to start?

Tex, congrats on the tag draw! If you're the mid-October hunt then that puts you in the second Peaks hunt I believe, with 40 bull tags and 40 cow tags. Some hunters but frankly not a lot. 7E also has the early rifle season for this year, so two rifle seasons will be before you.

Honestly there's not much to tell about this hunt. The area is just one big peak and you can attack it from whichever direction you'd like. Some come from the north, some other directions. Generally get up high that time of year and find spots to glass. Burns are always a good idea to focus on. You're not likely to hear any bugling either, if that interests you. But ya, you're in for a fun hunt! Definitely gonna take plenty of sweat and boot leather. They used to divvy out tags as "any elk" and "antlerless" but this year they decided to give out "bull" and "antlerless" tags, so it's hard to know what the true success rate has been on these hunts, if you have a bull tag that is. I imagine you'll get a chance at a bull or two if the weather cooperates. No telling what the weather will be that time of year as it can vary significantly. Be prepared for cold deep snow and also for tee-shirt weather.

Good luck, have fun, and congrats on the draw!

OP
T

TexRed

FNG
Thanks for the input! I am slightly concerned about water availability but I hear the monsoon season was good so maybe there will be some standing somewhere.

Anyone else got any input or suggestions on this unit. Even bad experiences and places to avoid would be super helpful!

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
That volcanic soil is pretty porous. I wouldn't count on finding much standing water. There are some springs though.

Jackalope

FNG
How did it go Tex? I’m thinking of putting in for this tag this year. I’m local so that takes a little challenge out of the hunt. Will only have my loyalty point so it’s probably one of the few tags I can hope for.