Arizona Unit 9 Question

Wildcat

FNG
Howdy,

I have the late archery tag in Arizona's Unit 9 this year. I'll be heading up there a couple days before the season starts to check which tanks still have water and fresh sign around them. My question is about private land in the middle of the Kaibab National Forest. According to OnX Maps, it seems like most of the tanks are privately owned. I'm guessing these are ranchers' tanks that they maintain for cattle. I will always respect private lands, but I know people who have hunted that unit for many years who are adamant that many of the tanks are not on private land and that OnX is wrong. I will err on the side of not trespassing and just hunt off the tanks (on public land), but if anyone has experience with this, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Cheers!

GoBig

FNG
a lot of the private in the unit is open to the public, if I recall the checker board is all accessible and open to hunting. There are some good tanks to the north along the Rim and between there and the park.

Howdy,

I have the late archery tag in Arizona's Unit 9 this year. I'll be heading up there a couple days before the season starts to check which tanks still have water and fresh sign around them. My question is about private land in the middle of the Kaibab National Forest. According to OnX Maps, it seems like most of the tanks are privately owned. I'm guessing these are ranchers' tanks that they maintain for cattle. I will always respect private lands, but I know people who have hunted that unit for many years who are adamant that many of the tanks are not on private land and that OnX is wrong. I will err on the side of not trespassing and just hunt off the tanks (on public land), but if anyone has experience with this, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Cheers!
Unless it is posted, it is fair game even if it is private. Source: https://www.azleg.gov/ars/17/00304.htm

Beendare

WKR
Wildcat, a little friendly advice as I've guided in that late season not too far from where you will be. ...and hunted late AZ myself.

Those bulls hunker down big time......they don't move much- use an appropriate strategy for that behavior. That is a tough hunt tag you have...nothing at all like the world class tag during early archery with screaming bulls running everywhere.

heatstroke18

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking at putting in for this hunt next year for the late archery season. Ill be interested to see what you find out in case I am successful in the draw

heatstroke18

Lil-Rokslider
Howdy,

Cheers!
How many points did it take you to draw that tag if you don’t mind me asking

Jsweet24

FNG
Wildcat, a little friendly advice as I've guided in that late season not too far from where you will be. ...and hunted late AZ myself.

Those bulls hunker down big time......they don't move much- use an appropriate strategy for that behavior. That is a tough hunt tag you have...nothing at all like the world class tag during early archery with screaming bulls running everywhere.

Would you recommend still hunting this late season tag? I’ve been there to scout for my tag this year and found good areas and trails. I was planning to slowly walk and glass trying to see them first if the sign is fresh. Any suggestions for tactics would be appreciated

OP
W

Wildcat

FNG
Would you recommend still hunting this late season tag? I’ve been there to scout for my tag this year and found good areas and trails. I was planning to slowly walk and glass trying to see them first if the sign is fresh. Any suggestions for tactics would be appreciated
I would sit water if you can find it and it’s not taken. I didn’t really enjoy this hunt. If I lived in Arizona longer I would have put the time in to come up with a slightly different strategy or put in for a different season, but the water was absolutely key and every morning trucks were parked hours and hours before sunset at each tank. It’s illegal to camp within 1/4 mile of water, but people still just park their truck at the water entrances 3-4 hours before first light. I’m sure some of them fell asleep but weren’t technically camping. Fun fact, elk aren’t native to that Grand Canyon area and man made water is what enables them to live there. If I had to hunt unit 9 again and couldn’t draw a rut hunt with a bow, I’d probably try late rifle and go look in some nasty canyons. Good luck.

Jsweet24

FNG
I would sit water if you can find it and it’s not taken. I didn’t really enjoy this hunt. If I lived in Arizona longer I would have put the time in to come up with a slightly different strategy or put in for a different season, but the water was absolutely key and every morning trucks were parked hours and hours before sunset at each tank. It’s illegal to camp within 1/4 mile of water, but people still just park their truck at the water entrances 3-4 hours before first light. I’m sure some of them fell asleep but weren’t technically camping. Fun fact, elk aren’t native to that Grand Canyon area and man made water is what enables them to live there. If I had to hunt unit 9 again and couldn’t draw a rut hunt with a bow, I’d probably try late rifle and go look in some nasty canyons. Good luck.
Good stuff man. I knew the water was the biggest key there so I made sure to check as many out as possible when scouting. Sucks there aren’t a lot of tanks far from roads I hate the idea of fighting to get a spot like that. Good looking out though always appreciate advice