Arizona Unit Suggestions for January OTC Archery

BDubbYuh

FNG
Hello everyone,

I am a new hunter and I am looking for some guidance on what AZ units I should be looking at for OTC Archery in January. I have been reading a lot of the content on this forum and on AZGFD, but it can be a bit overwhelming. I have seen units 8 and 27 talked about frequently on here, but still thought I would ask. I am hoping to narrow the scope by getting some first hand knowledge, and then doing some eScouting with onX, followed by some real scouting.

Last edited:

marktole

WKR
Good luck.

I have hunted in unit 8 the past 4 years. The first year or two it was really nice. Barely anyone around it seemed like. You’d run into other folks on the road, but if I did some walking I was alone. In fact, the first year I went I don’t think I saw another hunter.

The past two years have been a zoo, with January ‘20 being especially horrendous. RV cities at every pull off, dudes cruising every single road and trail, open or closed, in side by sides. Sitting atop a glassing point you can pretty much guarantee that there is another 2-3 groups of hunters on it with you, looking at the same thing you are. Two years ago I spotted a buck from a glassing point, left my buddy up there to guide me in. In the time it took me to get off the glassing point and down the road to walk to where I needed to be in position for a stalk, another hunter on the glassing point had seen the deer, called his buddy on a side by side, who drove over there off the trail, and blew them out within 3 minutes of being off his machine. A total shit show. I talked to several hunters last year who had been down there for 5+ years and all said the same thing, the last few years has been nuts with how many more people are doing that hunt.

The popularity of the AZ OTC January deer hunt has been growing immensely. Folks aren’t going to hand out recommendations to you on an Internet forum like this exactly for the reasons I just laid out from my experience.

The advice I would give you is don’t come to unit 8....

The other advice I would give you is decide what kind of hunt you want to have as a starting point, then start narrowing down units.

Do you want to be able to glass a lot? Find some units with a little bit of terrain that lends itself to that.

Do you want to hunt mule deer, white tail, or coues? AZ has all three, if you have a preference, start narrowing down some units that way.

Do you want to have to back pack in a ways and camp? Or do you want to have a truck/base camp? That’s another option to help you decide.

Do you want to kill a big buck? Do you want to have a hunt where you can get away from other hunters and you don’t mind doing the extra work? Good luck getting those recommendations online because those secret spots are few and far between, take years of sweat equity to develop, and folks don’t take too kindly to being asked for them by someone who “isn’t looking for a honey hole or anything, just some good public land spots.”

Just a heads up, sometimes these threads get derailed pretty quick because you are no where near the first guy to ask about units like this, whether it be in AZ, NE, CO, or where ever. It gets a little old so don’t take it personally if it seems like someone is getting after you about it.

Welcome to Rokslide.

I agree with the above, decide the kind of hunt you want (species, terrain, camp, etc.) and try to find a unit and area to match in the G&F unit description. There aren’t any “honey hole” units since the G&F limits the archery harvest. If unit X starts getting hammered by archery hunters they trim the OTC season and then put it to draw.

I also think it’s pretty important to set realistic expectations, especially if you’re a new hunter. If you to luck into a pocket of deer you might get a couple tries before blowing them out... if some else doesn’t do it first (like the story above). You’re pretty unlikely to get the nonstop action like YouTube videos might suggest. At the same time “it only takes one” and you have to start somewhere. Work on your spot and stalk skills and don’t beat yourself up if you don’t get one

S.Clancy

WKR
If you're a new hunter I wouldn't even consider AZ archery. Success rates are low single digits %. You're basically gonna pay 460$ plus gas, food, lodging etc to walk around. You need to be DIALED to stand a reasonable chance of success. Or be unbelievably lucky. Good luck if you go.

OP
B

BDubbYuh

FNG
Thanks for the response and the welcoming! I am planing on mule deer and have a base camp and day pack from there. 2-3 miles of day packing max. Honestly, I am not expecting results this hunt. My main goal is to get out there and gain the experience of day packing, glassing, and potentially stalking. If I actually get a mule deer by sheer luck, that would be icing on the cake.

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
Because of the frequency in this forum and others units like 8 and 27 have unfortunately become very busy. My suggestion would be look at the state unit map and choose similar units and go hunt. All have deer and many will have less people roaming around. Also don't rule out the southern units. It's a mix of mule and whitetail but odds are good you'll see plenty of deer.

I would add that during the rut deer behavior is so different from your normal rifle season hunts so that part of the experience you gain won’t translate over if your plan to a typical rifle hunt well before the rut

Block

WKR
If you're a new hunter I wouldn't even consider AZ archery. Success rates are low single digits %. You're basically gonna pay 460$ plus gas, food, lodging etc to walk around. You need to be DIALED to stand a reasonable chance of success. Or be unbelievably lucky. Good luck if you go.
I disagree completely.. danG near anywhere in the state he will get a stalk or more a day if he ain’t picky and LEARN a ton whether he gets one or not..

Sadler

WKR
Best to just get gohunt and get info from there. Nobody is going to give you much more info than you already have

S.Clancy

WKR
I disagree completely.. danG near anywhere in the state he will get a stalk or more a day if he ain’t picky and LEARN a ton whether he gets one or not..
That's completely true. I just wanted to make sure he had reasonable expectations, in this case it is unlikely he will kill a deer.

Zach429

FNG
Couldn't agree more. Your focus should be on experience, get out there and glass. You'll figure it out. Your going to have to learn to deal with other hunters if your planning on having success on public ground, that's just part of it regardless the unit.

Block

WKR
That's completely true. I just wanted to make sure he had reasonable expectations, in this case it is unlikely he will kill a deer.
Ya never know... Plenty of people go out and kill deer their first year and move on to be good hunters.. then there’s our friends that have “had a bow” for 7 years and never even put one legitimate stalk on a deer.. great foam hunters... but put no effort into preseason and throw in the towel with a few half ass efforts each season...

S.Clancy

WKR
Ya never know... Plenty of people go out and kill deer their first year and move on to be good hunters.. then there’s our friends that have “had a bow” for 7 years and never even put one legitimate stalk on a deer.. great foam hunters... but put no effort into preseason and throw in the towel with a few half ass efforts each season...
Also true, but with most unit's success rate being <5% it's not common.

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
I’m planning the same hunt as you for next January! Base camp and pack in each day. Still deciding on a unit. I’ve been looking at 5a and b, 6a and b, 4a and b.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk