Arizona Vacation Suggestions

Flying into Phoenix last week of March to visit family. After a day or two there we have several days where we plan to drive north to the Grand Canyon and back. Looking for suggestions on places to eat, stay, visit, hike etc. including Sedona and Flagstaff, others? Two active adults and active teens. Thanks guys

A hike or mule ride to the bottom of the Grand Canyon would be neat, but it would eat up two full days and all lodging below the rim (Phantom Ranch, Bright Angel Campground, Indian Garden Campground) is most likely fully booked by now. The rim overlooks and/or a hike partway down the canyon would still be worthwhile though.

Arizona Snowbowl near Flagstaff might still be ski-able the last week of March.

If you're willing to drive a bit further north, a tour of Antelope Canyon near Page is a unique experience. Might as well stop by the Horseshoe Bend overlook also if you go to Page.

If you are in shape hike the canyon- South Kaibab Trail down, then come up Bright Angel. Active people do it in one day all the time, especially in March.

Catchfish

WKR
I used to eat at Lumberyard brewing in Flagstaff, it is just south of the tracks downtown, also Dara Thai is good Thai food.

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
Following.

Heading to Sedona for a 7 day vacation soon. Hitting the grand canyon and looking for other good challenging hikes and activities just like the OP.

OP
T
Thanks for the replies so far guys, al I know about the area is what I see on google and google maps! I think we have Pheonix and the Grand Canyon "planned" but are hoping to kill 4 days in between them in and around Flagstaff and Sedona. Looks like some great National Forests in that area.

7JK

Lil-Rokslider
For flagstaff if you’re wanting to get out and hike check out Mt Elden. There’s a couple different trails you can hit that accommodate different fitness levels. At the top I think you're about 10,000-11,000 ft in elevation and a pretty cool view. We haven’t had any weather for a long while so as of right now it’s definitely hike-able just will be cold. Then check out the downtown area for shops and refreshments. Take the oak creek canyon route when you go down to Sedona, it’s the scenic route but might have some construction going on so check on that before you go. Sedona has a crap ton of hiking. I’d check out the bell rock trail in the village of oak creek maybe rent some mountain bikes and go for a ride. Afterwards there’s famous pizza for some pizza and cold beer 👍🏻 Jerome is also a pretty neat area to go see. It’s an old mining town up in the hills of Mingus mountain there’s plenty of history and sightseeing there. The haunted hamburger is a place to checkout for sure while you’re up there. To wind down the evening old town cottonwood is a pretty cool little place that has plenty of restaurants to choose from. Hope this helps some. Feel free to pm me with any questions you might have!

Buck197

WKR
Prescott area is prettu nice, nearby Sedona. In Sedona, best pizza I have EVER had. Pisa Lisa, its woodfired and the ingredients are fresh as hell. Show Low, some of that country up in there is pretty cool. Theres one im drawing a blank on, so may post again shortly. If I were you,id drive up North of Flagstaff and spend a day or two at Jacobs Lake, the Kaibab.

Buck197

WKR
Payson is the one I drew a blank on. Theres alot of beautiful country in thpse places. Show us some photos when yall get back.

Huntinaz

Lil-Rokslider
Martanne’s in Flagstaff. Somebody get the chilaquiles. I like red/green with chorizo but there are a number of choices and they are all good. Good posole too. Great Mexican food, iconic Flagstaff

If you are into breweries and boutique pizza, Mother Road Brewing as well as Dark Sky Brewing both make excellent beer and both serve good pizza from Pizzicleta

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with any of these options

Hiking:
The Lava Tube Cave is pretty cool and doesn’t take too long to do. Bring flashlights

Extrapale

WKR
Jerome. Stay in the old hospital hotel. Eat in the Asylum restaurant. See the sights around town.

Stay at a place with a pool and soak up some sun in Sedona or South of there.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Catchfish

WKR
We used to hike West fork canyon a lot down 89 between flag and Sedona. It was normally a spring thing for us and may be weather dependent because there are small creek crossings but it was fun, my wife likes it a lot. Didn’t have great views but was at the bottom of the canyon.

Silentstalker

Lil-Rokslider
Headed to Sedona in a few weeks. Can’t wait to enjoy the beautiful scenery and try some of the places mentioned to eat!

OP
T
You guys are great, thanks for all the suggestions. Jerome never would have been on my radar!