Arizona votes to ban trail cameras

Just a little bit ago, AZGD voted to ban trail cameras for use in the aid to take game. Strong feelings on both sides of the fence, but I see this continuing across other states in the near future. I think it is a step back in the right direction. There should be an inrush of cameras for sale soon, as the ban takes effect Jan. 2022.

I see both sides on this one, will be a lot of big animals that will never get known about especially in areas like the strip and some of the top elk units. Cool to know that it will be truly unknown what is out there and that a true monster could be hiding anywhere. Hard to hear people complain about quality of animals when there is so much technology out there to tip the odds in favor of the hunter. Having said that i also understand how much people enjoying running and monitoring cameras, slippery slope here but i do think it will help with quality in the low density and low water areas.

BBob

WKR
Nice! Back to good old boots on the ground and eyes in the glass ;)

I never relied on them much so I won't really miss them but I do know many where cameras are core to their methods. I'm fairly confident the big Coues kill numbers will drop. So many that have been killed over the years were first found and then profiled with cameras. Time will tell.

mmac

WKR
There are always two sides, but the tanks are getting loaded with Camera's. Once people start putting out large numbers of them, it takes away from the challenge. I also think less odds of success means more tags issued....

I like the idea that now there will be more mystery animals out there on units like the strip. When each outfitter has 150-200 cameras out there it’s pretty hard for anything not to be on inventory.

I’ve never used any kind of trail camera. I’ve always relied on boots on the ground and lots of glassing. I think it’s a lot more exciting when you actually find and pursue the animal out in the field and not by using a camera to do a lot of the scouting for you.

Don K

Lil-Rokslider
Is this just during hunting season? Or a all out ban? The big boys will just hire a large "posse" now

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
I think this is a good thing as far as hunting goes but I really enjoy having cameras out as more of a hobby then anything. I love checking cameras just for the pictures and videos. I have them in zones and places I never plan on hunting. I don't live in Arizona but hope other states don't follow their lead

mmac

WKR
Agree they may just hire more people to watch the tanks, but at some point the price is limiting then. Or at least the price should be limiting, but seems people will pay anything these days. If I was a big serviced booked out 2 years, I would be raising pricing 50% more and see what happens.

I don't have a dog in this fight but I'm surprised they were able to get this through as I'm sure the outfitters were strongly opposed

Don K

Lil-Rokslider
Total ban and the big boys have had large posse’s on the payroll for quite some time already.
I was there last year for 3 weeks and didnt run into any large posse, but did see quite a few cameras for sure. Didnt have any issues with anyone at all though

dtrkyman

WKR
I can see the appeal on public lands, however banning on private is just BS. Love em or hate em I am not for "the man" telling me what to do!

All for ban on cell type cams though, I have never run cams out west, however I managed a lot of whitetail property in the Midwest and cams are simply deadly! Never had cell cams, poor service, but had 30 plus Reconyx out, and if I got regular pics of target bucks they were in trouble!