Arizona votes to ban trail cameras

The reason behind the law makes sense but it seems like the vagueness of it might cause problems.

I probably get more joy out of my trail cams than I do actually hunting deer in my home state of MN. I don't think use of them here causes as serious of issues as it does there but i could see it getting to the point where additional restrictions become necessary.

coues32

WKR
It's not just a Kaibab problem or a water hole problem, it's thu out the state, it's a salt/mineral block problem, cameras never should have been allowed on public land, hopefully forest service will be pushed to remove them.

Hard to see govt overreach, was a airplane ban a overreach? Still have your guns,optics,boots,atvs ect.
Go hunt, take a kid hunting.20190414_062932.jpg

Attachments

• 20200310_092005.jpg
    20200310_092005.jpg
    580 KB · Views: 24
  • 20181029_092440.jpg
    20181029_092440.jpg
    518.8 KB · Views: 23
No worries, no offense taken.

If you used a trail camera that was on private and end up using that info to "take" a state owned game animal why wouldn't/shouldn't the ruling apply? It should apply in my mind. I don't think they could stop you from placing a camera on private but I do believe if you used it in the above scenario you'd be guilty of taking game while utilizing a trail camera. I don't see that as Red or Blue. There will be some fine lines but I don't think it'll be too hard to parse out.

In lots of places in AZ water is key. It's in those areas is where the biggest camera problems started. It was slowly spreading and easy to see issues were coming elsewhere.

Thats an interesting point. To me, cameras are photpgraphy, and you shouldn't prevent people from taking pictures/recording on there own property, even if its of game.

But, here in Virginia, we have a ‘too many deer’ problem. We use cameras on my farm, lots, but in the end, some of the biggest bucks taken were never seen on camera. I think some smell them and stay away, or the wander over from other lots.

Ive had more success scouting for beds by foot in off season vs scouting by camera; you could argue thats not fair as im hunting their bedroom. But again, deer are everywhere here, so we don,t usually wonder where they are, just how can i even get it without them knowing I'm not there.

the cameras for us are just more for fun seeing animals. I used to be obsessed with them, but find it just another thing to have to deal with in the woods. I dont rely on them like I used to. Now they are more of a hobby that i share pics with kids.

I could see where its a pain if they give a huge advantage on scarce game.

It's not just a Kaibab problem or a water hole problem, it's thu out the state, it's a salt/mineral block problem, cameras never should have been allowed on public land, hopefully forest service will be pushed to remove them.

Hard to see govt overreach, was a airplane ban a overreach? Still have your guns,optics,boots,atvs ect.
Go hunt, take a kid hunting.View attachment 299666
Ok that pic of the cameras over the mineral block is ridiculous. I disnt realize how bad it could be. Good lord!

whats annoying on public land here, particularly big woods, is people set up cameras but leave them. So there is trash chained to trees some places i hunt… i think they expect to see game but dont.

coues32

WKR
Ok that pic of the cameras over the mineral block is ridiculous. I disnt realize how bad it could be. Good lord!

whats annoying on public land here, particularly big woods, is people set up cameras but leave them. So there is trash chained to trees some places i hunt… i think they expect to see game but dont.
Have over 50 pics of camera boxes lagged, chained,laying on the ground not on water sources. Usually see a hole in the ground from salt there will a camera close by. Crazy where u see salt and cameras in the wilderness but they are not effective....

CorbLand

WKR
Utah tried to put a season on them this year but ended up banning attractant and not putting a season. I am torn on out right bans of trail cameras but fully support the banning of attractant. We have limitations on all sorts of technology in hunting, this is not some new thing.

For those that say you have never killed an animal that you had on camera so they don't provide an advantage...have you ever set a camera, checked the card, it had nothing on it so you didn't hunt that spot?

The problem with cameras isn't the weekend warrior that puts 3 out. Its the guys or outfitters that have 100s. I saw a picture of an ~10 foot enclosed trailer half full of cameras from an outfitter that had the caption "its camera season." They provide an advantage. I don't know many businesses that would outlay that much money not to see a return on it.

Between me and a couple buddies we have 20 plus cameras. Its pretty hard to physically be in 20 places at once but I can scout 20 places, 24/7 while typing this response.

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR

Go hunt, take a kid hunting.View attachment 299666
Must be a hoot when a dozen guys show up to hunt "their" spot :rolleyes:

wonder how this will affect harvest numbers (eventual tag limits) . was there less "if its brown its down" bc guys knew they had a big buck on camera and were more selective? or will harvest numbers go up bc guys will shoot the first decent buck they see.

Just a little bit ago, AZGD voted to ban trail cameras for use in the aid to take game. Strong feelings on both sides of the fence, but I see this continuing across other states in the near future. I think it is a step back in the right direction. There should be an inrush of cameras for sale soon, as the ban takes effect Jan. 2022.

Yesterday I was told the ban applies to public, not private land. Guiding outfits were placing 500 cameras in a single unit along with 100lbs of salt, tracking the movement of specific 'targets" and successfully killed every one last year. Big money vs actual hunting skills. So now they will no longer be able to track all the movements of the game digitally which is a good thing. I saw some watering holes with 13 cameras on em. We'll see these same outfitters doing a full court press on landowners offering a % of their fee in exchange to trespassing permission. Hopefully the ranchers are smart about this.

CorbLand

WKR
wonder how this will affect harvest numbers (eventual tag limits) . was there less "if its brown its down" bc guys knew they had a big buck on camera and were more selective? or will harvest numbers go up bc guys will shoot the first decent buck they see.
It will be interesting to see if this has an affect on success rates and quality.

I feel like it wont really have that big of an affect on quality as holding out for something specific vs shooting the first decent animal is a mentality that I don't think is going to change because of cameras. I do think you will see more animals go undetected though.

OP
H

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Looks like some of the guides are trying to raise money to sue the AZGFD now. Guess all that talk about how cameras do not help them was all BS. Now that they are banned, they are doing everything in their power to try and overturn it.

Typical nowadays, something doesn't go your way, so they hire lawyers and sue. Embarrassing

500 cameras sound like a lot but depending on the unit it is not that much. Unit 10 is 1.5 million acres; half of which is the Big Bo (private). That equates to 1 camera every 2 square miles which is nothing. That's a couple of square blocks worth of cameras in town in comparison.

I do not blame any outfitter, guide or hunter in AZ if they wanted to seek some type of injunctive relief (at least for the short term). The 2021-2022 hunting regulations have already been published. No trail camera ban is in them (excluding cellular/live action and on wildlife refuges). Kind of late to change the rules since the current game is still being played. Game and Fish should have made it go into effect AFTER the current regulations expire.

Rob5589

WKR
Looks like some of the guides are trying to raise money to sue the AZGFD now. Guess all that talk about how cameras do not help them was all BS. Now that they are banned, they are doing everything in their power to try and overturn it.

Typical nowadays, something doesn't go your way, so they hire lawyers and sue. Embarrassing
Would be interesting to hear the basis of their complaint.

500 cameras sound like a lot but depending on the unit it is not that much. Unit 10 is 1.5 million acres; half of which is the Big Bo (private). That equates to 1 camera every 2 square miles which is nothing. That's a couple of square blocks worth of cameras in town in comparison.

I do not blame any outfitter, guide or hunter in AZ if they wanted to seek some type of injunctive relief (at least for the short term). The 2021-2022 hunting regulations have already been published. No trail camera ban is in them (excluding cellular/live action and on wildlife refuges). Kind of late to change the rules since the current game is still being played. Game and Fish should have made it go into effect AFTER the current regulations expire.
So you think cameras are evenly distributed in a unit huh?

coues32

WKR
So they are pissed they can't hit the easy button? Or pissed they can't whore out our animals to the highest bidder? Or higher some kid in college to check cameras without a AZ guide license to do their work? Confused I guess?

Your assumptions and lack of facts are what is embarrassing. It is not guides who have done this and it is mostly funded by normal guys who care about their hunting rights. Most have made small donations to a GoFund me campaign. To answer your question, their is a legal basis. There are legal limitations on what the 5 member tyrannical board can do. Lastly, Most every guide and outfitter I know supported the ban or were indifferent. Most guides and guiding outfits are ethical and legit. Stop lumping them altogether because of a few bad seeds.

So they are pissed they can't hit the easy button? Or pissed they can't whore out our animals to the highest bidder? Or higher some kid in college to check cameras without a AZ guide license to do their work? Confused I guess?
AZ Game and Fish is the one that "whores" out the animals.

2021 Commissioner’s Tags
Desert Bighorn Sheep: $315,000
Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheeo: $210,000
Elk: $215,000
Elk: $239,000
Bison: $27,000
Mule Deer: $300,000
Mule Deer: $315,000
Coues Whitetail: $50,000
Coues Whitetail: $46,500
Pronghorn: $80,000
Pronghorn: $40,000