Arizona youth elk?

Dadof3

FNG
So I’m a complete newb to this site. I am a dad of 3 boys and this year 2 of them are old enough to hunt elk in Arizona. We’d love to fill the freezer but more importantly create memories and a lifelong passion for the outdoors. If anyone can steer me in the right direction it would be appreciated. Currently live in California where there is little to no youth hunting opportunities.

bigharge

WKR
I'll shoot you a pm, have a little experience in az with youth elk tags

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Mize4044

FNG
No experience as my daughters aren’t old enough to hunt yet, but wish you luck....nothing better than passing on this passion!

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider
Better odds on general hunts for the most part. Being non residents with no bonus points will be tough.

gburk

WKR
Bigharge will steer you straight.
Even if you don’t draw it is a cheap bonus point

qwerksc

WKR
There are quite a few great junior hunts in Ca, dig a little deeper, you will find them. My nephew drew 2 great tags, shot quality animals. My niece shot a nice buck on a youth hunt that less than 200 kids were in for.
Canada de los Osos puts these kids on a solid hunt, with quality animals.

Texas based but haul my kids out there pretty much every other year for them to do the cow hunts. It is a great hunt, bulls are bugling still sometimes. Can be crowded depending on the unit. Biggest thing is to make sure they have broken in boots and have hiked a lot carrying a day pack. As always with elk hunting there is the logistics of getting the meat back. All sorts of fun can be had with the TSA there.

Weather on those hunts can run from 70's to 20's during the day...so have a plan of someway to keep them warm. Seen some guys out there with kids that are way under-prepared for the cold in the morning. Jetboil with some hot chocolate and a kifaru woobie or doobie solves most issues with cold kids when glassing. Year before last had snow this year was dry. Road pressure can be bad from guys on quads. Have the kids ready to hike a few miles with pack...run them into the ground and let them sleep mid day. Mine are now 15/16 but when they started I carried the tripod w/ hog saddle and they had bipods on their rifles. This year they both shot off tripods they are carrying on their own now. Fun to watch them progress.

Get them used to shooting off tripod / sticks / packs.

Since you are in California you won't be able to do this but I have the kids run suppressed...helps deal with recoil / muzzle blast flinch. Boys are running tikka's in 308 and that has handled everything w/o issue.

Won't do any good for this year's draw but try to line up a vacation to the grand canyon or something with one of their hunter's ed classes..it is worth the trouble to get that knocked out. Their hunter's ed field day is pretty good. The game wardens out there are great and are interested in making sure kids get it. Way better than the texas hunter's ed course.

Biggest safety thing is making sure your kids know how to navigate, run radios and start a fire in case they ever do get separated. Never had it happen to me but it can happen out there.AZ_CowHunt.jpeg

It is absolutely worth it for the memories...I've put my hunting in the backseat to get them out as much as possible while they are still around and they are always talking about the trips with their friends. Hell the only time I can get a picture of the younger one smiling is when he has gotten something.

Hopefully after memorial day will get them out to do some bear hunting in wyoming or montana.

On the new mexico side...they decided to screw over non-resident kids last year. No more youth non-resident on the hunter encouragement hunts...this basically eliminated the opportunity for kids to get out over christmas break and do a non-school disruptive hunt. They gave the licenses up for seniors (NM only)...and from what I heard did not sell out...so tags available and kids who wanted to hunt were not allowed. Wife loved that hunt...she stayed home and it meant the boys where not in town over christmas so she got the house all to herself. As she put it best christmas gift ever. Peace and quiet.

OP
D

Dadof3

FNG
I'll shoot you a pm, have a little experience in az with youth tags.
I can’t pm yet as I’m new to the forum. I’d be happy to talk with you on the phone or email. Hope this is allowed.

OP
D

Dadof3

FNG
I am new to the forum and can’t get pms yet. I would be happy to talk with you on the phone or email. Hope this is allowed